Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=95e629a93b3f21a18204783855513446Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tusken Rifle, a picture tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> TUTORIALS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Tusken Rifle, a picture tutorial Reply with quote

I didn't know where to put this picture tutorial, but I thought it was appropriate for the RL forums since we accept denizens of the galaxy like the Tusken into our ranks. Besides, some of the techniques used here can be used for other prop projects.

Enjoy...

Tusken Rifle
Another Costuming (Prop) Project shown in a picture tutorial:

First up, the template on a 2x12x8' piece of pine

Next the stock for the rifle is cut out. Then I needed to figure a way to sink the barrel deep into the stock without the use of a fancy lathe machine that can bore a straight hole. So, I cut a section off, as you see:

I then sliced this section into pieces:

Then I used a drill press and drilled a hole through each piece. I used the piece "before" as a template to drill the hole in the next piece...and so on. Here you see the pieces laid out, the hole through the pieces, and a test fit of the first and last piece with the barrel through them:

THEN, they got glued back together again:

Another test fit with the end of the stock shown with the hole in it:

A test fit of the stock, the barrel and the support rod:

Now for the decorations:

First I wanted a "heat sink" attachment for the sides. A template was made, then transferred to ABS plastic (1/4"), cut out (yes, this was a pain in the arse) and sanded:

Next, I took a piece of galvanized duct and cut it up, shaped it, did some sanding for the side pieces, and did some cold working of the metal to shape the barrel supports (one is shown magnified):

A test fit of all the pieces before painting. What I don't show is the fabrication of the scope. I found a piece at Lowe's that looks like what you see. The only thing I did was extend the length with a piece of pvc pipe:

Then off to the back yard to paint, with a clever way to support the rifle so it can be painted without touching it:

So...my goal was to make a rifle with a similar design and look to what you see in this reference picture from The Phantom Menace:

And...here's my version:

Look for the Clan Chief's Gaffi Stick picture tutorial (coming soon to forums near you).

Got any questions about this project? Post'em here or PM me.

/bow

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME JOB! LOVE IT!
montee916 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work dude! Very impressive. Cool
Delpa Gival (Patrick Delieto)
Echo Base CO
Echo Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Rifle Reply with quote

Nice work! I made one also for my Tuskin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> TUTORIALS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: