About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ee8c66b2ae1fe3627d519f384c353692Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH DL-44 question
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it acceptable to have a modded rubies DL-44 blaster?
Yes, for both formal, and non formal
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
Yes, but only for non formal events
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
No, just for halloween
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Users Voted : 15
Total Votes : 15
This poll has expired.
Detailed Results

dante12721 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: ANH DL-44 question Reply with quote

I have just finished putting together a tk for the 501st and am looking to start an ANH Han Solo. Heres the question i have so far.
I have been browsing the forums for a while but havnt really found a clear answer:
There seems to be three main ways of making/getting a ANH DL-44 blaster.

1. Resin one (semi-expensive, fragile, accurate)
2. arisoft conversion (semi-expensive, requires a decent amount of modding, accurate)
3. Rubies (painted, drilled, and filled)

Now heres my question is it acceptable to have a modded rubies?

Also, are there any patterns out there for the holster, ammo belt?
Thanks
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if Hasbro's Electronic DH-17 is accepted, there should be a chance for Rubies' DL-44...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one thing I never understood about this group. Not to knock anyone in particular, but I don't get the whole thing about being critical of the soft parts, but then allowing costumebase holsters and toy guns. It just kind of defeats the purpose of being "formal." Especially with the Han costume, the holster and blaster really make the costume. They're a very important element to his outfit.

As far as my personal preference, I go full metal and resin if I can't. (Belt tools come to mind - I have a metal Micronox cylinder, but have resin relays)

If you go the metal route, airsoft is the most inaccurate; go with a Denix as the base, or if you have extra cash, MGC.
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have in mind that not all the people can afford to buy a Denix. I could buy mine (almost miraculously) because I have a cousin in USA who bought one for me from ebay and sent it to my country...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affordability shouldn't be a determining factor. Besides, anyone can afford a Denix if they save long enough. (Some will just take longer than others) If cost really is the issue, then just get a good resin cast; it will be much less and more accurate.

The 501st would slap you down if you tried to get approved with a Rubies toy gun, so why shouldn't we have the same standards since we're the "good guy" version of them?
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havok69 wrote:
The 501st would slap you down if you tried to get approved with a Rubies toy gun, so why shouldn't we have the same standards since we're the "good guy" version of them?

OMG Very Happy ... remember: no, they will not slap you Smile - because ... one interesting and important point: THEY ARE APPROVING RUBIES DL-44 FOR FORMAL COSTUMES Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: ANH DL-44 question Reply with quote

dante12721 wrote:
I have just finished putting together a tk for the 501st and am looking to start an ANH Han Solo. Heres the question i have so far.
I have been browsing the forums for a while but havnt really found a clear answer:
There seems to be three main ways of making/getting a ANH DL-44 blaster.

1. Resin one (semi-expensive, fragile, accurate)
2. arisoft conversion (semi-expensive, requires a decent amount of modding, accurate)
3. Rubies (painted, drilled, and filled)

Now heres my question is it acceptable to have a modded rubies?

Also, are there any patterns out there for the holster, ammo belt?
Thanks

Hello,
I think best solution is directly ask Ryan (Cobalt60) - our Fringe LCJ.

In the end it is up to you ... if you wanna have most accurate costume as possible ... or just wanna be approved Smile

Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
Havok69 wrote:

OMG Very Happy ... remember: no, they will not slap you Smile - because ... one interesting and important point: THEY ARE APPROVING RUBIES DL-44 FOR FORMAL COSTUMES Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Haha - well there goes that theory - so much for my opinion.

jeez

I still say go all metal though baby!

rock
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havok, heīs right.

Due to their superior approval system (compared to the RL), you can be approved as a new member with a costume with not that high standards. And if you are interested in more accuracy, letīs say as a Stormtrooper, you can upgrade several parts and become expert, upgrade more and you can be centurion.

Not only the formal/informal "stuff" were you can be approved with a upgraded Halloweentype costume as long as it is listed as "formal". But no system is perfect, theirs has own problems, too, just not that much as here.

But there is another reason why the rubies is not that bad - as long as member run around with the old Kenner and itīs substitutes, the rubies is not that bad at all (with a little work). It shouldnīt be OK for approval, but for trooping with it, kids love toys with light and sound.

And then there are countries where you can get in trouble with a metal one.

Off course, under the line you are right. Funny thing is - there are other members out there with the same opinion, but they will never speak up here, as they feel itīs useless, wasted time.

And as long as there is no strong leadership with the will to change/better things, instead of just let it slide the easiest way, there will be no improvement.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:

And then there are countries where you can get in trouble with a metal one.

... not to mention countries that do not receive items like Denix Mausers bought in ebay because there isn't international shipping... Crying or Very sad
that's my complaint...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy my Denix on eBay. Here's a retailer that ships internationally:

http://www.discountcutlery.net/index.html?target=dept_21216.html&lang=en-us

So when are we going to implement the 501st style of approval?

Cool
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
And as long as there is no strong leadership with the will to change/better things, instead of just let it slide the easiest way, there will be no improvement.

Guys ... there is more problems than "rubies blasters" ... Wink

1. It is not problem to set up standard for Han Solo costume which will not be able for nobody to pass ...

(for example: we can say, that denix replica is not good enough - because it is just replica ... - if we wanna be screen accurate we wanna request only original mauser, original boots, etc.), ... but question is WHY? - each one of us have own opinion what is important and what is not so important, etc. ...

2. Final authority for standards and their limits is LCJ. If somebody wanna propose change of standards, should be done via discussion with LCJ.

3. If somebody wanna propose another way, how to approve costumes, grades of costumes, etc. -> each RL member can propose it ...

4. It is not polite to forcing own opinion/changes in some group where you are not even member ...

Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted there are degrees of compliance, but you must agree that there can be a higher standard than what is current that can still be met. Besides, there's always informal.

As far as forcing opinion, this is just a poll and discussion. There is no forcing going on. As to not being a member - we're all members here; it gives us the ability to post. We just haven't submitted a costume yet for approval. I'll be joining the ranks of formal soon, once I get my pants and vest done.

I see this organization as a constantly growing and improving entity. As time goes on, the quality of the member's costumes will improve. This is the kind of discussion that needs to happen on a regular basis. Let's challenge ourselves to be the best we can be at what we do!
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
Guys ... there is more problems than "rubies blasters" ... Wink

Indeed - itīs the system itself that is the biggest problem, not neccessary the details alone.

First problem - you need a formal costume to become member. Cause a nice costume/appearance with many references is not easy to get, you lower the standards of these costumes to get the people in.

Instead - if each now formal/informal costume would be OK for approval and membership, you could have nice standards without setting them so low. Just cause there is more for the new to choose one. Depending on their skill, money and taste, easy costumes, harder costumes.
Now someone has to spend a lot of cash for a dustcatcher Solo/Jedi/Rebeltrooper - just to have it cause you need it to be approved - no matter if you store it away immediatly after the approval. THAT wasted money could better be spent for a good costume the person really wants to wear. And over the approved "member costume" there would be always the possibility of needing a "expert"-status for the real Lucas-events (something many members worldwide will never see).

Letīs say someone has 800$ and wants to be a generic Tatooine citizen/waterfarmer (or fill in another amount/planet/job), anything thatīs not in the formal list. Now he needs to spend 400 to get approval with a cheap as possible (cause he wants to keep as much as possible for the really wanted costume) made Rebeltrooper. He getīs approval, what a great day. Now he can make the costume he wants, but only with the remaining 400$. Under the line he has now 2 costumes, one that he never wanted, both not that great, instead of one really cool made one.
Please explain me how that shall keep a certain quality standard - standard maybe, but quality?

I like the allegory of "making a homerun with the first bat" iīve read here, from Rob Kohn.

Blair wrote:
1. It is not problem to set up standard for Han Solo costume which will not be able for nobody to pass ...

but question is WHY? - each one of us have own opinion what is important and what is not so important, etc. ...

Hmmm, for me he is just a guy in a white shirt, black vest, jeans with stripes - but with cool add-ons, they make the guy to Han Solo. Without them he could be from any movie. But that is also not possible for approval, or did i miss something?

Blair wrote:
2. Final authority for standards and their limits is LCJ. If somebody wanna propose change of standards, should be done via discussion with LCJ.

3. If somebody wanna propose another way, how to approve costumes, grades of costumes, etc. -> each RL member can propose it ...

As far as i know even Rob had no success with bringing in a improved system - why should someone believe he as a average member would have more luck. Thatīs why i know certain people donīt speak up - shut up, get approval - and after that: do what you want.
That way is for sure comfier - i donīt think itīs a good idea, if you want changes you have to speak up for them, but itīs each own decision to take his stand or going the easy way.

But with that mindset (both sides, letīkeep the things as they are, and itīs comfier to shut up) there would still be the british flag over the american colonies.

Blair wrote:
4. It is not polite to forcing own opinion/changes in some group where you are not even member ...

Sure, and it is cheap to call someone who names the uncomfortable truths just impolite.

Ever thought about all the persons out there who are maybe not member CAUSE of the old rules?

Have a nice day,
Michael
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with blasters is that some countries have different laws when it comes to replica guns in public. also, at some events, its not appropriate to wave 'realistic' looking weapon, so toy guns are actually preferred. (kids love toy guns but they can be scared to death by 'real' ones).

some places require an orange plug in the barrel; some don't. etc. the laws are different from place to place.
--> so we end up with different standards for different members, depending on where you live. Sad

at the end of the day, the standards contain a loophole "..unless local laws prohibit anything that looks like a firearm". so in the RL its entirely possible to get approved with NO blaster (depending on where you live). this means: at the end of the day, the blaster can't be a deal-breaker when it comes to judging. Sad (I wish it could).

ie: it would be unfair to deny a costume from the US based on the "accuracy" of the gun..
..but still allow another applicant from another part of the world to be approved in the same legion, with NO gun.

(see the problem?)

I wish we could have more strict policy when it comes to accurate guns. but this would need to be a "LEgion-Wide" policy,
and this is difficult to enforce in a global community (in this 'post-9/11' climate).

-======-

re: rubies gun. the rubies gun is orange and blue. Razz
under NO circumstances will you be approved in the RL with an "orange an blue" gun. Razz hehe

--> IF the gun is painted to look like an 'in universe' prop ..like Magnus' gun in this thread (for example).. then this would be acceptable.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37111

acceptable, but not "ideal".

"Ideally", you would have more than one gun, for more than one purpose.

I have 2 ANH guns: a realistic metal replica and a painted toy version.
(I also have 3 ESB guns: 2 metal and one cheap plastic).

--> if I'm going somewhere with children, and security-rent-a-cops, then I wear a plastic gun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: