Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b9bd43306930e58c3d4b1039ab1ae02eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wear orange . . . it's trendy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Bespin Base -> Bespin Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryy Jacobi wrote:
Thank you, Commander! Smile

So here's a question for our past and present pilots.... on the REGULAR pilot, does the ejection harness strap stuff velcro to the underside of the flak vest (as opposed to the flightsuit)? I'm trying to think about all of that and coordinate with this version, where of course the harness goes under the jacket.

I'm also thinking of a cheater two piece flightsuit for this one that will be easier for "trooping breaks".

chickpilot

Yes. The ejection harness straps attach to the vest. I keep mine connected to the back vest, step into the loops and pull the front vest up over my head and down, then grab the front strap and pull it up and attach to the front under the vest.

Very "cool" (get it?) on the snowspeeder jacket!

Rebel Legion Profile

Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, y'all. I'm pretty geeky-delighted.

And thanks Red Leader.... you not only answered my question but gave me practical advice as well. Many thanks! bow

Expect your brain to be picked at the next meeting of the Alliance. Laughing

Proverbs 3:5-6

Check out our new Facebook Fan Page! https://www.facebook.com/BespinBaseGA
Soraken Bolt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karyn,

What Steve said. That is how Kent made our ejection harness. They are attached to the back vest and we velcro the front strap underneath the front vest. If you need to adjust how they hang you can just pull it up and add more velcro. Can't wait to see the completed look!!
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent... thanks for all of the help. Very Happy

Here is a mockup.... please pardon the bad lighting... Jerry just took this a few minutes ago in our entry hall.

These are an unmodified and unwashed coverall (too stiff and reddish) and unmodified gloves, and the flak vest needs to be shortened a bit to accommodate my short waist. I need to sew, tack, velcro and weather stuff, and nothing is in place. Ejection harness too low and holster "migrated" forward, etc.

BUT

If I can get some snatches of time before New Years Eve, I'd like to get this troopable for the parade. (Also assuming I don't have to work....)

Edit to fix typos.... gah, you could tell it was late.... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W) on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Veeery nice! Well done, Karyn. Everything fits you perfectly Smile

Now, we just need some cold weather Razz

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome and well done!

Rebel Legion Profile

Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

Remember it's not quite "done".... Steve, I may take you and Liz up on the offer for a bit of assistance... I need to have someone (who knows what they're doing, which would eliminate hubby-help) pin my straps into place before I sew them.

For weathering the sleeves a bit, I am wondering about a light swipe of shoe polish or some dark brown eye makeup powder mixed into the alcohol hand gel..... It looks too clean.

And any tips on fastening that belt? It's quite a wrestling match pulling it tight from underneath w/o having the velcro "stick" at the wrong place.

Funky Buns (Daphne Collier)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Karyn! Thumbs up
Antar Bolt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karyn,
If you are referring to the grey belt, I personally don't use any velcro to attach it. I use the nylon strapping from Strapworks, and it is tight enough that friction is able to hold the loose end in place. This might not work for you depending on the strapping material you are using and the buckle that goes with it. It is a bit of a wresteling match, but having a fellow pilot around tends to help. If you've noticed at troops, my dad and I have to help each other with a lot of that kind of thing.

I reccomend that you wear your blaster belt a bit looser, letting the weight of the blaster sag the belt a little, this will allow your grey belt to ride a little lower, and not get pushed up under your vest like in your picture. Basicly, your grey belt should be sitting where your blaster belt is in your picture. This will feel a little weird, but it looks a lot better, and you should get used to it after your first few troops. And if belt at the bottom of the holster that loops around your leg dosn't have an adjustable snap set up, add one, trust me, it helps.

Have you started thinking what design you want to paint on your helmet? I know that for me creating the design was the longest part of making the costume.

Do you have a beret? I'll be getting started on making your squadron flash soon. Your outfit looks impressive.

Bespin Base Temple Master
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antar Bolt wrote:
Karyn,
If you are referring to the grey belt, I personally don't use any velcro to attach it. I use the nylon strapping from Strapworks, and it is tight enough that friction is able to hold the loose end in place. This might not work for you depending on the strapping material you are using and the buckle that goes with it. It is a bit of a wresteling match, but having a fellow pilot around tends to help. If you've noticed at troops, my dad and I have to help each other with a lot of that kind of thing.

I reccomend that you wear your blaster belt a bit looser, letting the weight of the blaster sag the belt a little, this will allow your grey belt to ride a little lower, and not get pushed up under your vest like in your picture. Basicly, your grey belt should be sitting where your blaster belt is in your picture. This will feel a little weird, but it looks a lot better, and you should get used to it after your first few troops. And if belt at the bottom of the holster that loops around your leg dosn't have an adjustable snap set up, add one, trust me, it helps.

Great, Kent... thanks for the tips. Very Happy I did loosen the blaster belt so it's lower, as well as the web belt, and that also helps with the velcro issue. But I still may shorten the belt a bit, so I don't have as much to fasten. (It's a ready made belt from one of our talented RL vendors with the roller seat-belt-look buckle.)

I'm wearing the stuff right now, to practice moving and walking and sitting, etc. so I won't be tugging on my costume. The web belt is crawling up to my natural waist, so I may have to work on placement.

BTW, I shortened the buckle ("back") side of the flak vest by taking out the top rib and hemming, and then also shortening the straps. This was my intention, being short-waisted with narrow girl's shoulders, so there is actually orange space between the vest and the belt, unlike my mock-up picture.

I also rolled around in the grease in the garage Wink .... um, weathered the sleeves and collar and gauntlets.

Antar Bolt wrote:
Have you started thinking what design you want to paint on your helmet? I know that for me creating the design was the longest part of making the costume.

Oh, yes... I understand. (yours looks great, BTW... a lot of work!) Mine will be mainly white with red and black and a touch of silver (Go Dawgs) and some black and gold for my alumnae chapter. No worries.... I do plan to be subtle and make it look Star Wars-y. I also want it to look good / "coordinate" with the rest of you. I have a basic layout in mind but I'll probably dabble a bit... I am a painter, after all. Wink

Antar Bolt wrote:
Do you have a beret? I'll be getting started on making your squadron flash soon. Your outfit looks impressive.

Yessir, I do! Goody goody... thank you! chickpilot and thanks soooo much for the help and kind words.

Hope to see you Saturday!

Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I "talked" to DH this week. My helmet is assembled and will get the first coast of paint this weekend. I originally thought I'd paint it myself but it will be done faster and better by having him do it.

Some of you have seen my sketch... let's just say it will have a little "Bulldog" flavor. chickpilot

loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to order a new set of Red Kap coveralls. I'm on the verge of out-fatting my previous ones. Wink

Anyway, here's a good tip if you are unsure of sizing. Since you need to buy 2 pairs anyway, buy them in 2 different sizes. Wear the one that fits best and use the other for the pocket donor.

Rebel Legion Profile

Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good tip and exactly what I did for mine. Smile

And here's a TopGun style pilot T-shirt and hoodie available today only (Monday 2/20) that Matt/JedHead posted in Rebel Rumblings:

http://riptapparel.com/shirt/02/20/2012/top-rebel

Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH just e-mailed me pics of my helmet-in-progress. It is GORGEOUS.

But wait you must to see pics.... Yoda It's not quite done yet but very very close.

So this is Karyn right now....

Mr. Green cheerleader Dance Chewie highfive Tusken Raid woo hoo

Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Karyn. I'm excited to see how it will turn out Smile

loosetoon wrote:
I'm going to order a new set of Red Kap coveralls. I'm on the verge of out-fatting my previous ones. Wink

What do you plan to do with the current flightsuit?

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Bespin Base -> Bespin Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: