About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8bd9827352bcebc82c21a5c992617403Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

DL-18 Blaster - for smugglers and Jabbas criminals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: DL-18 Blaster - for smugglers and Jabbas criminals Reply with quote

another thread of me from the RPF, copied for the rebel legion users.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iīm already busy with my builds of the EE-4 and the E-11 pistol version, but yesterday another basegun arrived. :ohbaby

Ladies and Gentlemen - the Jabbas palace guard blaster:

I already disassembled it a little bit. Couldnīt wait. Wink

Yes, itīs a original Umarex:

The rear sight - if i remember right it was reused as a part of the ROTJ-E-11s scope rail - up up and away into the "real parts" box :happy:

The dissassembled parts of the front sight:

And with the flipped over sight rearranged:

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[QUOTE=Pete SSS;1593077]

[IMG]http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae163/Pete-SSS/DSC02319.jpg?t=1300106434[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Here is the promised pic to compare your accurate end with the more common version without the threaded end.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Petes help i was able to make my version of the threaded endpiece. :cool

Turning some alu to the needed dia:

Drilling and tapping:

turning the step

After parting the ready piece we have this:

Drilling the endcap, first small then the big dia:

Looks gooooooood :ohbaby :

You see the rod through the receiver? We need a cutout:

Drilling:

Some sawing and sanding/filing, doesnīt need to be perfect:

It fits. :happy

I like it:

After a treatment with Alu-Black:

But i think i will paint it.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dummdidumm...... :happy

Today the 2. arrived:

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning i had made the decision that the threaded end needs paint instead of the already used Alu-Black.

2-3 light covers with my beloved heat resistant stove-paint, and some mechanical weathering later:

The tool i like to weather with - itīs great (at least if the parts are real metal Wink ):

Additional the grips and the former silver gunparts got some flat black:

Definatly needs a more shiny and gruffest top layer. I donīt want to use the same paint as for the metal-parts, to get a more interesting/realistic appearance - maybe 1-2 layers of "Future".

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned i got a second RO72, and i bought it to have a spare one if the first ordered would have had some "issues". Well, it happend that both are in a fantastic and undamaged condition.

Nonetheless i drilled a hole in the endcap of the second, and machined a second threaded insert:

The same job i did to mine already:

This evening it will get the cutout for the bolt, and some paint.

Now that i know my first guns receiver is ready and canīt be messed up, the only thing that could happen is to damage the plastic-grips when attaching the greeblies. But even then iīm completly safe, with my spare set of grips.

That makes me wonder if i need to keep the second, or if i offer it to someone who needs one. The rear sight (the rotj-E-11-greeblie) is undamaged, and the endcap modified by me with threaded insert is the most accurate version next to a original threaded one..

Guys, whatīs your opinion on this? Keep it and store it away, sell it for cash, or trying to trade it for another part i like? Atm. i think i would prefer the last one. But i would love to hear your thoughts.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noone with a opinion what i should do with the second? Hmmmm.

Well, here we go again.

The metal is soft, so a needle-file is all you need to make a slot on the side opposed to the original. Donīt spend to much time on this, it is never visible, not even if you mess it really bad):

That way the securing screw can be insertet again in the upside down scope:

It got another 2 layers of a semigloss paint:

Mine, my second one, and another endcap-set ready to use. Next to it the old parts. itīs threading is not M10, and no other M ..... so we can say itīs inaccurate for a german/italian made gun.

Next step was making some patterns of the side-plates, and transmitting them on some 3mm alu:

Not the funniest job, many holes to drill - but it eases the cutting a lot. Three cheers for the drillpress :cool :

Now it needs some filing and sanding:

As noone had a good idea what to do with the second, i packed it up - so itīs easily stored and/or send when i decide to part with it:

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying on target - slowly.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big news here.

As the newer RO-72 have other screws than the old ones, i changed the phillipshead screws.

And i turned me from alu some M3 bolts, which then were cut to the needed length to stay clear from the receiver.

Drilled holes in the alu-sidepieces

And in the gun

the inside was flattened with a dremel, and the sidepieces were mounted.

After that the receiver was put back in itīs place.

Thatīs all, for now.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[QUOTE=RedArc;1692166]Very nice blaster build :love[/QUOTE]

Iīm glad you like it. :happy

Yesterday i had some free time, and instead of working again on other guys stuff (sorry pals Very Happy) i decided to work on my own blasters. Itīs another feel to see some progress on things, instead of just making a part and sending it away - as much as i love to help, itīs better to see parts coming together. Wink

I put the time in cutting the last side piece from 1,0mm sheet-alu, and after that i glued the greeblies to the side pieces, painted and weathered them. And after that .... the long awaited moment .... i mounted and glued them finally to the grip shells of the gun.

I think i like it:

No, i know i like it. :love

Next job: the scope and/or the plug for the front sight.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for waking up this old thread Laughing - but i have some new parts i would like to share.

Some of us were waiting for Dullas scope, but it seems he is still to stressed to have time for any progress. So iīve spent today some hours in front of my lathe, after checking pics and making size calculations.

And this is the outcome of my try to make my own scope:

The parts

Assembled

And next to the gun, for size comparision

I think it looks not to bad. Very Happy Feel free to chime in if i missed something.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: