About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b856d8ad9098bb165fb3c4f9802f1bc4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT wearing... field caps!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pointing out the similarity of the hat- it appears to me (also after looking at the film), that the hoth hats are VERY simlar to the Dorfman Pacific hat that Droidwelder linked to above as apposed to the wrap-around-the-chin kind. Am I seeing correctly?

Looks to me like the ANH Yavin hats are very similar, but with a very short version of the flap (turned up of course).

M

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

The Original Peregrinus ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit of a come-lately to all of this, but I have some thoughts. Since the RFTs and Vanguards have different colors of pants, might the cap match the pants color? Different branches of service or organizational role, as with the different colors of Imperial uniforms?

And, even further, might there be different styles of headgear, depending on point in the timeline? Could the baseball-cap/short neckflap style of cap worn by everyone in ANH have evolved into the more kopi-styled/longer neckflap version seen in ESB and the Warrior Princess comic? After all, the rest of the uniform seems to have changed between the two films (even allowing for cold-weather specialization, the uniforms in ESB seem closer to those in ROTJ than ANH).

And, while I'm splitting hairs, why are they Rebel Fleet Troopers and not Alderaanian Guards? I mean, if they're claiming consular ship status and express bafflement at the notion of being part of the Rebellion, might it then be silly to be wearing Rebel uniforms?

Food for thought. Discuss. Smile

(And yes, I'm bringing all of this up because I am looking at the possibilities of a Hoth-style cap in less arctic conditions for my own costuming notions...)

--Jonah
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being discussed over at http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36923
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Original Peregrinus wrote:
Since the RFTs and Vanguards have different colors of pants, might the cap match the pants color?
Actually, the Vanguard are the troopers wearing the modified British Dress uniform carrying the pikes next to the doors in the ceremony chamber.

Quote:
Could the baseball-cap/short neckflap style of cap worn by everyone in ANH have evolved into the more kopi-styled/longer neckflap version seen in ESB and the Warrior Princess comic? After all, the rest of the uniform seems to have changed between the two films (even allowing for cold-weather specialization, the uniforms in ESB seem closer to those in ROTJ than ANH).
There were ANH-style RFTs on board the Mon Cal Cruiser in ROTJ. You are thinking of the newer officer uniforms, not the RFT uniforms. As for the arctic headgear, that was for Arctic uniform, not the RFT uniform.

Quote:
(And yes, I'm bringing all of this up because I am looking at the possibilities of a Hoth-style cap in less arctic conditions for my own costuming notions...)
Good luck with getting a costume done!
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:

Quote:
Could the baseball-cap/short neckflap style of cap worn by everyone in ANH have evolved into the more kopi-styled/longer neckflap version seen in ESB and the Warrior Princess comic? After all, the rest of the uniform seems to have changed between the two films (even allowing for cold-weather specialization, the uniforms in ESB seem closer to those in ROTJ than ANH).
There were ANH-style RFTs on board the Mon Cal Cruiser in ROTJ. You are thinking of the newer officer uniforms, not the RFT uniforms. As for the arctic headgear, that was for Arctic uniform, not the RFT uniform.

I never noticed any, do you have any screen caps of those troopers?

Blackstar Squadron
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
The Original Peregrinus wrote:
Since the RFTs and Vanguards have different colors of pants, might the cap match the pants color?
Actually, the Vanguard are the troopers wearing the modified British Dress uniform carrying the pikes next to the doors in the ceremony chamber.

Quote:

Quote:
Good luck with getting a costume done!

They are wearing Un-modified US Marine jackets from late to post WW1. This was a last minute "you realize you need to have 400 people in wardrobe" deals, according to Mollo. They rented whatever the costumers had a lot of. No time or money to make modifications, so they have the distinction of being the only wardrobe in the film with buttons.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be it:

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=249&bc=no

Or at least the base. Seeing that they raided the costumers for whatever surplus uniforms they had in large quantities, it's possible they grabbed a bunch of these caps and added the back flaps.

Has the "long bill", the tapering foreheaad (look at the seams), fitted, no vents, etc.
Eagle Base CO
Eagle Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a perfect find! Now I'm considering buying one and then hiring a seamstress to make copies with the back flap. Smile

RL member 2007-2012, 2014-
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
Eagle Outpost/Eagle Base co-founder
Vissan (Maciej Witala)
Eagle Base XO
Eagle Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that may be it. To buy one, then let the seamstress disassemble the cap. Of course, choosing the right fabric for the copies might be quite challenging. We should try it some time, hopefully, this year Smile
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am writing a costume standard for the character with the hat...

this is what I have proposed...and many thanks to MacBragg for his detailed description of the hat...I am using that description as the requirement for the hat.

Anyway...
here is the proposed standard:

The name of the character would be

"Celebration Scene Rebel Trooper"

The standard would be the following:

Required Items:

Unique tan/cream/beige hat.

1. The brim has a rounded shape, not "squared off" like modern caps.
2. There are no rows of top stitching on the brim like on the Imperial caps or modern caps.
3. The cap is constructed from six segments, with a one of the seams in the center of the cap (you can see them in the backs of the hat, and by the way the material dips between the seams).
4. The cap is constructed to follow the natural contour of the head, and not present a "hatbox" shape with vertical sides or front.
5. There are no grommets on the body of the hat - metal or stitched.
6. Caps are made to size, there are no adjustable tabs or straps on the back of the hat.
7. There is no top "button".
8. There is a flap on the rear of the cap, that appears to be about 1/4 to 1/3 the width of the overall cap. It is much shorter than the Rebel caps worn on Endor.
9. The flap has a edge trim possibly 1/2" wide. It is not known if ther is visible top stitching or if all the seams are inside (like the Imperial caps).
10. The flap has a gradual curve from the ends, reaching maximum height at the rear of the cap. It does not cover the ears, in contrast to the sharp rise as seen on the Hoth caps.
To be accurate, these hats will have to be constructed from scratch.

Long-sleeve blue workshirt with bib in front (blue chambrey or blue oxford button-down recommended). No button down collars. Bibb should sit flush at neckline and not sag. Note that chambray is a fabric that combines blue and white threads, but when viewed under normal conditions, the shirt looks to be a slight gray/blue. Color should be light to medium. Shirts that are too dark blue are not permitted.

Black, collarless vest with pockets (at least 4 pockets are recommended) and no visible buttons

Light Grey pants with large cargo pockets

Black mid-calf boots (or suitable substitute, shaft should be 11-13 inches tall; taller boots can have the pants bloused over to appear shorter). No rubber boots.

Belt: Solid leather or vinyl - no holes or decorations. Buckle can be rectangular or oval. Buckle is approx 2". Color of belt should be a "canyon tan" or "range tan" color - which is brown with a slight reddish overtone.

NOTE THAT I LEFT OUT THE BLASTER PART....
YOU CAN'T SEE IT ANYWAY...
SO NOT SURE IT SHOULD BE IN THE REQUIREMENT...

Optional Item - Not Required for Formal

Accurate Holster
belt boxes on belt
pockets on the back of the vest

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question is ... why "To be accurate, these hats will have to be constructed from scratch. " ?

If somebody will be able to found suitable (following requirements) hat ... it will not be enough? Smile ...

... because if I am correct, this formal description of hat is same as already mentioned " original 1980 The Thinking Cap Company "rebel hat" "

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
Question is ... why "To be accurate, these hats will have to be constructed from scratch. " ?

If somebody will be able to found suitable (following requirements) hat ... it will not be enough? Smile

from the discussion here...
it was gathered that where there are caps that are "similar" out there...
but
none of them seemed to fit the observations/specifications that MacBragg so carefully worked out...

so...
if you can find something commercial that fits the description of the cap...then fine...
but..
it would almost appear due to some of the construction details that were similar to the imperial hats in the back...
that these hats might have been contructed by the costume department..

it is of course anyone's guess....
and..
I sure don't have any inside information...

Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:

Reason why I am asking: "original 1980 The Thinking Cap Company "rebel hat" " ...

... because if I am correct, description of formal hat is same as this cap ... but I am not sure, because I am not owner of this hat ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Geber Teg (Jim Pullen)

Location: Medford, OR (about 1.5 hours from the Forest Moon of Endor)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any better pics available? All I see is a fuzzy blob on his(?) head.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geber Teg wrote:
Are there any better pics available? All I see is a fuzzy blob on his(?) head.

you might want to read the entire discussion thread..

Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: