About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1f80556df6aa1dbc700caf5b7275f00bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Riding Seam Tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Han Riding Seam Tutorial Reply with quote

For those interested I just wanted to show how I incorporated the Riding Seam into the pants pattern I used for my Han Solo pants.

Start with which ever pattern you're using for your pants and take the 'back' pieces of fabric you cut and lay them on top of each other, right sides facing together.

Then using some tailor's chalk, mark out the shape of the seam making sure to keep it in the middle of the leg all the way down.
(Note that the leg gets thinner as it goes down the thigh area and gets a little wider slightly around the calves so take that into account when measuring your center line for the seam)

At the top 'Butt' section of the leg piece draw the curve coming to the edge of the fabric about 5cm (Roughly 2") from where the waistband seam will be.

When your happy with how the lines look, pin the fabric together along the edges of the line so they don't shuffle around then cut along the line you have marked out ending up with this:

Then pin the pieces back together along the line you just cut, right sides facing and then sew then together making sure not to overdo it on the seam allowance.
I just went with a few millimeters(about 1/5") so it should look something like this in the inside once sewn together:

You should now have two back leg pieces just like this:

Make sure when constructing the rest of the pants you sew the outside pieces of the Front and back leg together first and then sew on your Bloodstripe strips because you can't get them on with a sewing machine once the inseam has been sewn together.

So get to this stage first:

Next, sew up the inseam, then the two leg pieces together, as per the patterns regular instuctions.
Your pants should be looking something like this now:

Follow the pattern's instructions for the fly, belt-loops and waistband and then when it comes to sewing up the back seam just make sure the two ends of the riding seam meet then stitch them together.

Fit and finish the the pants and you should be all done!

There's some good pics out there of the riding seam from the exhibitions so use those as a reference when marking out the riding seam shape and you should be fine if you follow this guide and refer to those images.

I hope this is helpful to anyone out there looking at making an accurate pair of Han pants but if you have any questions just post here and and I'll do my my best to answer them. Smile

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade

Last edited by Anduril () on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!

Thats a great step by step... and really shows that its not too hard when you have the right information.

Side note: May want to mention how much you added for seam allowance.

Bob
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:

Side note: May want to mention how much you added for seam allowance.

Bob

I did have something written up just before the second pic but I just edited it anyway to be a bit more specific.

Smile

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is a great tutorial! It is the same way I did my ANH pants.
Cool

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Majumamass ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: question about the pattern Reply with quote

is there a specific pattern I should use? the link on the resources page is discontinued. This is a great tutorial and it'll help me get my pants the way I want them. Thanks for all of your hard work
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, you can use any pattern for pants that fit you. I used a pajama/scrubs pattern. (Took me forever to get the pants to fit without being baggy)

I am using a 70's jeans pattern for my ESB pants and plan on redoing my ANH pants with it as well.

Just remember to omit the pockets, both front and back if you use a pattern that calls for them. Mr. Green

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Majumamass ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: