About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bdacf5a4ed865511ca02b06f17e56c86Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MC Han in Carbonite project
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: MC Han in Carbonite project Reply with quote

I guess this topic fits in these forums .... as a large prop? Smile

A few years ago I bought the HIC face panel mold from Davethebookie (from the rpf). He was one of the first guys to offer face panels oh.. 12 years ago or so.

Anyway I was making up some face panels for a while for folks, which looked like this:

Some may have seen my previous interest thread where I was planning to design and have a vacuum formed block made to accompany the face panel but I've decided not to go that route anymore. It's too problematic both in manufacturing and now I've learned would be difficult for the person building their HIC. In fact just getting a face panel (from any supplier) is going to be problematic for most builders.

I am now making a new master for the entire HIC block including face panel and I am going to make a new replacement mold which will eliminate any problems the original mold had. This will allow me to create a complete block and face panel as one piece, as it should be with only needing the side panels, greeblies, and paint. That will make for an easier kit and will probably be more fun for the builder.

Without further ado... here is my progress so far Smile

We have finished our mold for the volvo instrument cluster and can make these:

The black one is the original instrument cluster and the gray one is my resin copy. We will cast these in gray and they will have minimal cleanup.

I have been working with the common specs that have been available to prop builders for quite some time online. I believe Chris King designed these if memory serves.

Well, now that I have the actual instrument panel and the accurate face panel I have been scaling and comparing these drawings to my own findings and they seem to be spot on.

Here is a photo taken in the archives. Notice the recessed holes in the bottom of the panel. They are also in the top of the panel, with the outer holes being smaller.

Here are my vacuum forming bucks for the recessed holes:

Here are the first pulls:

I will design the HIC master so the finished casting will have a routered out area for these vacuum formed dishes to fit into. Then it will be up to the builder to cut out the hole, install the vacuum formed dish and bondo in the joints. I will show that later in my progress when I get to it Smile

More to come .....
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twas a good weekend Smile

Two coats of contact cement on both parts

Drywall shims in between to assist in proper alignment.

Pull shims out from the center, apply pressure with laminate roller, working outward in all directions.

Use a heat gun to soften the "warped" areas of the polyester / fiberglass.

Heat entire "Han area" with a heat gun to relieve any resistance that might cause the plywood to bow.

The panel has to lay perfectly flat on top. I used drywall shims under the drop down area, so the panel ends up flush with the top surface.

Notice how I left the extra material around the edges of the fiberglass panel, instead of trimming it down to the detail joint that was part of the original sculpt. It will be easier to fill the joint that is out on the flat area instead of recreating and thus, losing the original detail edge.

Now I have a bunch of filling and sanding to do... and then the mold Smile

This really is a lot of work to build the box and get a face panel to work and it takes a lot of planning and know how, not to mention the tools and space. I am glad I didn't manufacture too many face panels for folks as I think most people would not be able to do it. With all the face panels that have been on the market over the past 12 years I wonder how many of those folks have been able to make the box.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some more progress this past weekend. It's not a whole lot to see in pictures but there is progress nonetheless if you know what to look for Wink .... lots of bondo, sanding, more bondo, sanding sealer, sanding, and more sanding

I still have some small touch up spots to add bondo to. Then sand the first coat of sanding sealer, put a 2nd coat on and sand that. Then I should be able to prime the whole thing and sand it and make sure the wood grain has gone away. After that I might add some dings and dents in various locations and then make the mold! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy cow! Absolutely amazing. Surprised
"A man who inflicts suffering can't rest. His guilty mind wont allow it, but today I can finally close my eyes to the living nightmare, knowing that I won't wake again." - scarred man from Ishbal (name unknown)
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick! Smile

This is certainly a big project ... and it won't stop once the mold is done. It won't stop once my personal HIC is done. I have big plans for this project Wink
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon!?!"
Jedi Master Alex (Alex Wilson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Smile

I have a big day of sanding again tomorrow
Italian Base CO
Italian Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complimenti per l'ottimo lavoro che stai facendo !
Han ne sarebbe fiero...
Ben
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME JOB! Surprised
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Cool
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the kind words!! Smile

After some more bondo and sanding the first coat of sanding sealer I put a 2nd coat of sanding sealer on and sanded all that. Then I cleaned the entire prop really well and went over it with a tack cloth.

Next I put my first coat of primer on the wood areas. I don't want to prime the "han" area as I don't want to risk losing any of the detail. I then sanded that layer of primer and put another layer of primer and repeated the process.

The point of this process is to get rid of the wood grain as you can see here:

So... this is something I haven't tried before but just spraying several layers of primer and sanding it back off to fill in the wood grain is a pain in the rear. So I tried something new. I sprayed the paint extremely heavy, to the point of running and then dabbed it with a chip brush and brushed it into the grain. I went around the whole prop 3 times doing this. Next I hit the whole thing with an orbital sander and followed up with fine sand paper. This worked really well. It filled in the wood grain nicely. Finally I added one final layer of primer and hit it with a fine sanding sponge and cleaned it really well.

Next I applied some dings and dents, trying to mimic most of the prominent ones on the original prop. This way after it's painted when I (or you) apply the acrylic wash, the acrylic will catch in the dings and give it the extra weathering affect, making it resemble the original prop even more Smile

It's officially done! Very Happy

I plan to apply the rubber mold this Saturday and the mothermold on Sunday.

I'm starting to design the greeblie and decal kit now.

I watched the movies and it turns out the greeblie locations on the prop in the exhibit aren't the same as the one in ESB ... go figure right? Wink ...My guess is the greeblie layout on the exhibit prop is close to or possibly the same as the prop in ROTJ.

I think I will design the kit based on the one in the exhibit / ROTJ.

The ESB version doesn't have the same "Panel #2" as ROTJ. If you are looking at the prop, Panel #2 is on the right side underneath the main hero panel that lights up.

Panel #2 in ESB is like panels 3 - 8, being easier to replicate. I'm on the fence about "Panel #2". It would be easier to go ESB version but it's boring in comparison to Panel #2 in ROTJ. Ugh... decisions.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first casting, fresh out of the mold:

22 man hours to cast this thing and put the wood frame in the back side..... Thanks for the help Aaron!! Smile

All in all it turned out really well. It's a little rough in spots. We need to cut the bottom end off the mold and replace that piece of rubber where it didn't cure. That shouldn't be a huge deal and won't affect future castings.

Also, I learned that you don't want any sunlight hitting it while you are casting. It causes the resin mixture to kick too fast and shrink. It was a beautiful day and we set up the canopy to cast it outside and for probably 15 minutes the sun hit one corner of the mold and wreaked havoc Wink

I had a fair amount of clean up to do on the bottom end and the one corner. The Han section came out nice though. The next ones will be better! It's a learning experience when making such a big piece.

I also learned another thing... don't spray the mold with Krylon primer. It won't cure. I spent 3 hours scrubbing the prop with mineral spirits to remove the primer. I didn't have the right primer at the time ... I have some now so the next casting will be better ... for a lot of reasons

It's all good. We have to learn some how Smile

Cut out the holes for the top and bottom "dishes":

I glued the dishes in place with C/A glue. I was worried at first that it wouldn't be the best thing but after our first event, using the prop in a live action play for two shows and then hauling the prop upstairs to the display room.. it held up fine.

Next I reinforced the backside of the dishes with expanding foam:

Dremel down the edges of the plastic so the bondo has something to cover:

Bondo over the edges of the dishes:

Sand the bondo:

I primed the whole thing with rustoleum automotive primer:

Paint the finish color for the box portion (Rustoleum 7519 Stainless Steel):

Paint the han section (Rustoleum 7277830 Metallic Matte Nickel):

Lighting isn't the same plus the bespin guard shadow is in the reflection on the side of the box ... but it gives the idea:

Begin the weathering. We used water based powder paint and some acrylic wash:

We took some photos to see if we were "done" with the wash. It helps to put things in 2D and compare photos against the original piece.:

To finish the weathering I dry brushed the high spots and ridges with rub n buff and buffed the heck out of it with my palm to get it to "pop".

Putting on the side panels:

I believe the side panels are painted the same color as the block, they just aren't weathered like the block is.

It's first event at the Rialto Theater, screening of Return of the Jedi in Loveland:

I had to dust off my Fett costume for this event Wink :

I still need to finish designing the greeblies. Tray is working on the decals. Then onto the rest of the "project" Wink
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing, well done! Surprised

Love that last pic 'Begging for a piece of Boba' Razz

boushh
Rebel Legion UK
501st UK Garrison
This bounty hunter is my kind of scum....fearless and inventive.
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work!
HIC looks great!
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: