About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0d5f88a6b0dcffef025575ac253594f0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo "Hoth Gear"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
Sorry, when i put a link in a post (like i did above), i assume the people take a look on it. I posted this in my build thread here:

I think lot of people saw this ... but ... from where this picture is, etc. ? - even "wikipedia" working with references ... Wink

Lichtbringer wrote:
But iīve learned here that there is not much interest in real sa by the most people, thatīs obvisiously cause someone can run around with a ESB blaster in a ANH costume, or even with a Kenner ANH toy in a ROTJ costume - cause its all covered by "a DL-44".

Han Solo RL standards are set up with requesting specific blasters (DL-44 ANH, ESB, ROTJ version) -> and judging is up to LCJ.

About general costumers ... they are doing cosplay / probably not prop hunting Wink

Blair wrote:
Right, if you look on the posw site for the Han Bespin, you will be linked to the Luke for pics, due to beeing very similar.

Iīve taken that pic as i donīt wanted to use one of my own collection. To avoid trouble - i lost overview which pics i found on the net and which one were given to me.

In the end ... like you say - "similar" - but not same -> somebody can also declare this like separate blasters, etc. ... all is only about point of view ...

... for example ... if there is for Han Solo Hoth Gear standard written:
Quote:

"DL-44 blaster (Empire Strikes Back version)"

For me ... this one ...

and this one ...

... look similar ... similar enough to be described as "DL-44 blaster (Empire Strikes Back version)" ... Wink

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
I think lot of people saw this ... but ... from where this picture is, etc. ? - even "wikipedia" working with references ... Wink

As far as i remember it is from a official book - the text written/printed in the pic, not added later.

But if you really take a close look, itīs visible that this is the Hoth version - check the flashhider - only the Hoth has not the 3 real knurled rings. On the Hoth they were not machined, they were painted on, and additional it had a wide band on the front and a smaller on the back - the Luke and the Bespin has 3 separete machined bands.
And now please countercheck the flashhider from the pic with your above posted screenshots - itīs the same, with the 1 wide and 1 small painted band. Very Happy

Blair wrote:

Han Solo RL standards are set up with requesting specific blasters (DL-44 ANH, ESB, ROTJ version) -> and judging is up to LCJ.

LCJ = Cobalt 60? The last time i looked at the pics in his profile, he seems to be using the same (ESB) Blaster for his ANH/ESB and ROTJ Solo costumes?

Blair wrote:

About general costumers ... they are doing cosplay / probably not prop hunting Wink

Aye, from the pov of a detail loving SW-fan it often has a slight Halloween touch.
Nothing wrong with that as long as it makes people happy - it just does not compare with having rules for "high standard".

I really think it would be great improvement for the rules if they were changed the way that someone could be a member with informal, that would open a whole new base, and EACH costume (including Han, Leia, Trooper, .....) starts as informal - and above that only the real high profile costumes (with really the correct details) get the "formal" stamp. Or name all accepted members costumes "formal" and the some really good/accurate ones "expert" or something that way.

Blair wrote:

In the end ... like you say - "similar" - but not same -> somebody can also declare this like separate blasters, etc. ... all is only about point of view ...

It doesnīt matters if the Bespin and the Lukes are different or the same - both are different to the Hoth.

The only dispute can be had IF they are the same - on one side they are, the only question is if the Bespin has greeblies on itīs left side, or not (as the Luke).

Thatīs not a point of view thing, its another question - only between Lukes and Bespin, not between Bespin and Hoth. Wink

Blair wrote:

... for example ... if there is for Han Solo Hoth Gear standard written:
Quote:

"DL-44 blaster (Empire Strikes Back version)"

For me ... this one ...

and this one ...

... look similar ... similar enough to be described as "DL-44 blaster (Empire Strikes Back version)" ... Wink

And for me it purely screams "itīs different!" - visible on the first look. Mr. Green Different flashhider, different mounting knob, and also different mounting brackets (the Bespin is nearly down to the mag bottom, the Hoth stops much higher).

Donīt get me wrong - i think both should be accepted for informal and formal (or as i mentioned formal and expert), this is a difference that should be left to the preference of the costumer (and in my books a good one would take care of it, the same blaster could be used with switchable parts as scopemount with knob and flashhider, a 10 minutes job to change them, not as much as changing from the Bespin costume to the Hoth Parka-thing Very Happy )

But in no way it should be accepted to get the costume approved with a wrong movie blaster (ANH-blaster for ESB costume or ROTJ-blaster for ANH-costume, or ......, no matter they al are called DL-44) - you donīt accept the wrong movie belt of vest, didnīt you?

Have a nice day,
Michael
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all could use a kick in the butt to improve our costumes... and the weaponry for Han over the years has been very poorly judged. However things take time, and in time I am sure those standards will be tightened up a bit.

Hans are not the easiest costume to make, and many sacrifices to the standards have been made to increase the membership numbers in this area. The compromise between membership numbers and accuracy of costumes have been discussed for many years, and I am sure will be an issue for many more.

I do agree the main issue is the means of which we require our membership to gain a formal costume to gain membership. By reducing these standards for formal for membership numbers we gain more members, but reduce our quality. Its the compromise, of which the only way to increase the standards without effecting new potential members is to remove the formal requirement for new membership. The anology of hitting a home run your first at bat comes to mind when asking a new costumer to get a true formal costume with no flaws in the standards.

Without a major change in our way of doing things, there is really no way to make "Formal costumes standards".... movie accurate.

So for now... we are in the compromise area....

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:

LCJ = Cobalt 60? The last time i looked at the pics in his profile, he seems to be using the same (ESB) Blaster for his ANH/ESB and ROTJ Solo costumes?

my profile pics are not up to date. these are my costume blasters.
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9756/img0936n.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: