About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f0b161faa93b225b6cd88f5bff4a6641Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Holster Build (pic heavy)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tutorial - thanks for posting it. I'm getting the pieces ready to attempt my own holster build.

I do have one question; what size edge beveler did you use?

It looks like the tools required will run around $150 or so. I think I will be buying a Gold Membership as the tools and leather will definitely pay for it and should even save me a few bucks.

Even with the tools, leather and buckles, I figure I can save a good $150 off an MP holster, plus get the satisfaction of making my own. Now the real question is, can I do a good job...

Very Happy
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not sure what size my edge beveler is. About any size should do. It's not even really required, it just helps finish up the edges (along with the slicker) so they look a little nicer.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your hard work assembling this tutorial!! Because of this, you have inspired me to make my own Solo belt, and it is turning out beautifully. Matt is a wonderful artist, but I'm so glad I found this instead of spending $450.00 for an MP. Thanks as well to all of the other many contributors who have put together so much valuable information on this costume. Bob's high-res photos are a real eye-opener, if you haven't seen them, check 'em out! Thanks again everybody, hope to be part of the formal Legion soon.

May the Force be with you all,

Brian
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Good luck!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about ready to start on my holster, and I was wondering one more thing; how does the leg strap attach to the holster? I suppose you could just cut a slit in the holster on the back and slide it through, however it looks more like it is attached with a rivet?

Actually, just thought of another question; what color thread? I'm thinking natural, right?
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havok69 wrote:
I'm just about ready to start on my holster, and I was wondering one more thing; how does the leg strap attach to the holster? I suppose you could just cut a slit in the holster on the back and slide it through, however it looks more like it is attached with a rivet?

Actually, just thought of another question; what color thread? I'm thinking natural, right?

Yes, you just use a small or medium rivet, that way the strap has a little give or swivel, but make sure to secure it well. Mr. Green

It is easier to attach to the holster before you sew it up.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup rivet.

Good question on the thread color. The (very) up close pictures I've seen the thread looks like a natural color. I used black because it's what I had and I thought it blended better. I was scared the natural would stand out too much against the darker leather. Maybe after you stain your leather hold a little of both colors next to it and see what you think.

Let us know what you decide on.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the wax leather sewing thread and then just stained over the whole thing.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee

Last edited by Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols) on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Indiana ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in discussions to get one made up. Is there an online pattern for the holster, or is it best to just use the costumebase one as a basis?
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's an online pattern I'm not aware of it. I used the Costume Base as my pattern because there weren't any other build threads at the time with pictures (we have several here now). You really only have the holster, the yoke, and the belt pouches. You do want to have your blaster first so you can make the holster pattern to fit since there are small variations in each blaster depending on the maker. I think looking at the pictures now available you should be able to sketch out the patterns you need but let us know if you need any help.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the blaster like Jedimika said, it almost builds itself. First start with the buckles, then attach the main belt. Once you have that, measure between the buckles, estimating how low you need the blaster to do the yoke part.

As far as the actual holster, I wet formed a much larger piece around the blaster and then trimmed to fit. Attach that to the yoke and you're done!

Easy!

Mr. Green
Indiana ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I'll get to work on sourcing an ANH blaster. I was going to get one from Doopy's but they are not replying to my emails.

Are there any other good reliable UK sources? (I have already asked a few on the UK forum).
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to build a holster, do it right; all metal baby! Denix is in Spain, so they should be easily available in the UK. Corellian Exports sells a machined mount for the scope and the grill, and you should also be able to find a decent rifle scope (or go crazy and get an original), correct brackets, plus a flash hider. If you're going for the Hero prop, make sure to also get the thicker barrel - however I'm not sure where to find that, perhaps ask Lichtbringer who is in Germany, so he should be able to point to a good European source.

No matter how you go, good luck! Fortunately there's a lot of good resources here that have certainly helped me, so you're sure to find everything you need.
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting together this build thread I will certainly be using it as a reference when I decide to build my Han next year.

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: