About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3e53a368ac0e83b2ba84b84a30570309Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Local costume help :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Local costume help :) Reply with quote

I love the costuming forums here, so easy to find info on multiple projects Wink However as we are at the bottom end of the world I thought we may be able to help each other with a general "look what I found" thread for Kiwis Smile

I know most active members live in a small region but hopefully we can get info for other regions too Smile

So paint, fabric, hardware resources all can go here Smile Tools as well as I know not all of us have every tool under the sun Smile

So to start off:

Emporiums:
In Auckland we have the two Geoff's (Dominion and Lincoln Rds, thanks for the head's up Hayley, so nice to see Lincoln open again!) which offer very different products. Lincoln Rd has fewer art supplies but an easier rnage of fabrics and notions. They also have some large pieces of leather (some from before the fire and I am really tempted to grab some more...)

There is John's Emporium opposite Spotlight on the shore. They too have leather and lots of arts stuff.

And there is another in Brown's Bay with a good supply of ribbons and wigs. Just halloween style but good for building wigs for say dreadlocks or elaborate headdresses Wink

Fabric stores:
Spotlight, needs no further explanation Wink Best to look when they have sales as you can get $3/m fabrics.

Fabric Warehouse, Mt Eden. Lots of high end fabrics, some end of line but mainly lots of plain fabrics (silk charmeause in all colours for instance). Sales are reasonable but still costly.

Global Fabrics Newton Rd. My favourite fabric place. Pricey but seasonly sales of 30-50%. Very high end stuff but on the whole less than $40/m for silks of all kinds. End of line fabrics usually so always something new.

Nick's Fabrics, just a little south of Geoff's on Dominion Rd on the other side. A shoe shop with leather dyes and belt blanks nearby too.
Dress fabrics $4/m and furnishing $8. Occasionally will mark silks at $10 but I have found them on the shelves for $4 Wink

Arthur Toye, opposite Spotlight on the shore and same areas as John's Emporium. Another chain fabric place but worth a look in.

Moreland Fabrics, New Lynn. Fabric barn as was. Still got the $3 and $4 sale shelves for the occasional good Jedi fabric Wink

(Forget the name) Fabric store on New North Rd. Between the Pack 'n' Save and Mt Albert shops. Similar to Moreland in that it is a sole owned store and has reasonable prices and good selection. Very very good for suiting and plain fabrics. I got my Mothma tabbard fabric from there Smile

Paints etc:
Gordon Harris. Slightly pricey but a good selection of paints for everything as well as acrylic inks which are amazing for airbrushing.
They also have small sheets of plastic.

Repco. They have rattle can acrylic and lacquer and car paints which are nice and flexible for armour or other plastic parts that will have some bending and flexing. Also great for painting PVC/UE shoes/belts etc.

Plastics:
Modern Plastics on Victoria St. Nice range and if you explain you are making STar Wars costumes you will hopefully be pointed in the right direction for thicknesses and plastics.

Cambrian Plastics in Henderson. Great service, order via email and pick up the next day. You can walk in but it's best to email first as hours can be interesting Smile

If anyone sees a sale please feel free to post here too Smile Spotlight just had a $40 voucher for VIPs recently so I'll make sure to post here for the next one unless someone else beats me to it Smile

Last edited by neimhaille () on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craigorski (Craig Haskell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm well as of today i can add this tiny bit.

I need a 'communicator" for my torjedi. searching cheap cellphones looked like the go. I wandered into noel leemings looking for a cheap or busted one. The guy went out back and brought out a huge box of the dummy display phones. rummage rummage.. free communicator.
Very Happy
now to replace the fake pic behind the glass with a jedi and an incomming message...
Ember ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great coverage of lots of useful places Smile

If you're ever in Whangarei - Arthur's Emporium.
Seriously massive.
There's a large fabric section, sewing notions (trims, lace, buttons, buckles, ribbons, different coloured elastic and velcro), art supplies, spray paint, Bobs and ends (screws, door/cupboard handles, bolts, washers)

Also Whangarei - Moreland Fabrics
A monstrous fabric store, I think it's the biggest one in Northland? The first time I ever went in there was a fabric sale on. Dean left me to it for a few hours Razz
Lots of dressmaking fabrics, some lycra, some weird stuff, and a good suiting section. When I was there about a month ago there was black and grey Imperial Officer fabric. They also have curtaining fabric, and the good-old $3-$5 clearance tables.

May as well mention Spotlight Whangarei. Great store that has a lot of things (including patterns) in stock that the Auckland stores have sold out of.

Warehouse Stationery can surprise me - that's where I got the DuKit for sculpting Slave Leia.

Number 1 Shoes
Occasionally they'll have something that will work for costumes. My ANH leia, GG Leia, Nightgown Padme, and generic Jedi boots all came from them.

Not sure if this detracts from the idea of the thread, but these are some of the online stores I like to shop at, which ship to NZ:

Beadaholique
My go-to place for Swarovski crystals, rhinestones, and jewellery making supplies. Based in the USA. I also get my E6000 from here (far cheaper than buying it locally!) They have also only just started stocking rare-earth magnets and coloured chain. Shipping is usually between US$4-7 depending on the final weight of the order.
(I can list a number of other crystal/ jewellery sites if anyone's after anything that's not on there)

eBay
Not sure if I can mention specific sellers, but I've ordered a lot of silks from here for between US$5-15m. Various ready-made costume pieces can also be found and bought.
Shipping costs range from seller to seller, sometimes you can negotiate shipping to NZ if they don't ship outside of the USA.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Smile

I tried posting this yesterday but epic fail of being on dial up speed had made it hard Wink

Spotlight is opening a new store in Mt Wellington (near Sylvia Park)
http://www.spotlight.co.nz/store/mt-wellington
Apparently they sent the flier the day of the sale Wink Never mind it goes until Sunday Smile
http://www.spotlight.co.nz/catalogues/mt-wellington-grand-opening-sale
Okay it won't load any further for me than to see a cotton embroidery skein...

Just a quick update to Lapco and NZ Leather:
A double shoulder suitable for Shaak Ti's apron (1.5mm but they go up in thickness) is around $125 but there is enough to do the apron 5 times or to make other accessories. I'm thinking of molding pouches and other bits from it Smile
I got the last swivel knife which is the most basic and first tool to get which was $30. They are ordering more though.
Lapco also sells the dyes and finishes for leatherwork projects.

Does anyone mind if I add their info to the first post? I'll use quotes, just in case this thread does go over a few pages Smile
Ember ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, it'll be better keeping the first post updated than having to scan through an entire thread for info Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Smile I was *this* close to getting to the new Spotlight but lets just say not all bus signs are created equal...

Onehunga is also great. The huge Look Sharp store at the bottom ened of the mall has an interesting range of fabrics an flowers and containers for storing verious creations Wink
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ebm.e.spotlight.co.nz/c/tag/hBO9Q77B8abH7B8fHHVAAC$WxMI/doc.html
Big sale at Spotlight starting Boxing day.

Of most interest:
30% off all fabrics (furnishing and dress etc.)
30% off all paint
1/2 price patterns
The Brother BM2600 sewing machine down to $149 and a $50 cashback. As a general all purpose non stretch machine it should be good.
Craigorski (Craig Haskell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If magnets are required then i can suggest
http://www.dangerousmagnets.co.nz/
neodymium supermagnets of all sorts. i think this is the trademe supplier but has a new owner.
Nice stuff but, as the name says, dangerous.. they do tend to pinch skin easily and shatter if let fly together. but really useful for joining that gap that other joiners just wont work on. Cool
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bundle I was going to use for Shae and Mara I got from TradeMe Smile But a whole company just for magnets....

The January Spotlight Sale catalogue is out. Apparently they have $2-4/m cottons at the moment. It will depend on which store you go to. I was specifically after dyes last time I was at mt Wellington so I'm not sure what the cotton range is like. I have seen some nice textured remnants in Henderson anyway for Jedi costumes.
http://e.spotlight.co.nz/a/hBPApljB8abH7B8fSSHAAC$WxDH/e11cat

The site seems to be a bit buggy for the last month. Sigh. Sorry if the link is broken. I did see the cotton twill in the furnishing dept. is on sale I am not sure if Pilot Orange is in there.

http://ebm.e.spotlight.com.au/c/tag/hBPApljB8abH7B8fSSHAAC$WxDH/doc.htm
This works at least.
HanSagan (Peter Haynes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to add this place:

http://www.webbing.co.nz/index.html

Got all the webbing I needed to finish my X wing costume and Keira's for about $14. Lots of colours and sizes.

www.angels2200.com

neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised we can get Plasti-dipin this country! Apparently since 2009. NZ retailers being what they are, there are no listing for it online however the distributor is griffiths.co.nz and I have found discussions about it being available at Bunnings near the powertools.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10681001
Rebel Kiwi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I can find a decent pair of mens knee high boots suitable for a jedi costume please?
Ember ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Are you after boots for a particular character, or just 'generic' boots?
If the latter, these are the requirements:
Quote:
Brown or Black Boots – Leather or leather-like; must rise at least to the calf, but not above the knee. No rubber boots allowed. No visible laces. Straps & shin-spats are allowed but not required. The colour of the belt and boots must match, but shade variation between the two items is permitted.

Here are some websites with boots that you could use:

http://www.jedi-robe.com/123,star_wars_costumes___adult.star_wars_jedi_boots.html
http://www.amazon.com/Funtasma-Pleaser-Mens-Halloween-Captain-100/dp/B001AH60TC

I recommend reading these threads which feature the above boots:
How to make cheap Jedi boots look better
Converting Funtasma Boots

If you're after leather replicas -
Motorcowboy
Museum Replicas
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I saw your name at the bottom of the forums and was hoping you'd post here Smile

Boots, oy. I know there are all kinds of rules under the generic Jedi Standards and thy have just recntly been reviewed Smile I have ben looking at specific face character boots which seem to break all those rules... hmmm Wink

Anywyay, Unfortunately men's fashion tends away from knee high boots so you are not likely to find anything in the local stores :/

I just spotted a pair of Nine West (apparently) tall boots in leather with leather sole at $2. Size 10 women so I have no idea what that translates to men's sizes here in NZ. You could ask the seller for the length of the sole Smile
http://www.trademe.co.nz/clothing/womenswear/shoes/size-10-105/auction-517009360.htm
They are scuffed (weathered!) but would happily take a dark brown dye over the top to make them look better. You can then use the same dye to tone the belt if you have one already Smile
Otherwise there are a lot of women's boots in larger sizes that look good and can have those lovely spats added if need be (case by case).

So, tell us more about yourself Smile I know we have a new members thread, I may start a stickied introductions thread Smile Feel free to post there once I set it up Smile
Rebel Kiwi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neimhaille,
I have actually bought three sets of boots from Trade Me. Two were too small, even thought they were sold as size 11.5 (womens). the others only go to the calf. I'm considering seeing if I can build them up with some leather and some kiwi know how.

I will get to the intro thread soon and spiel on about myself there. Right now though I am going to have a nosey at the links Ember has posted. Thank you Ember.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: