Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=64931997af60a112121c2b47bd1ca874Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Amadala Battle Arena EP2 Costume ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Padme Amadala Battle Arena EP2 Costume ? Reply with quote

Does anyone know that the name of the kind of fabric used for Padme's white battle arena costume? I do not think it is just a Spandex, because that is too light and not just a jersey or knit because it is too fine textured, but heavier than just a knit. It appears to be very much like the kind of material they use for professional football player pants or baseball uniforms, but I am not sure what name it markets under. The stuff I have seen at Joann's rally doesn't quite do it for me. I am trying to do an online search for a supplier, but need the right name of the fabric to order it. Any help would be appreciated...a link to a possible supplier even more so.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it was football player pants material because those are generally shiny whereas Padme's outfit is more matte. I no idea about supplier, sorry.
Mosi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know Clothears (Alison) from the UK, she makes an incredible top/bottoms, which is what my wife wears. I do know that it's two way stretch, off white, thick viscose lycra. I'm sure she gets hers in the EU.

Shoot me a PM if you want her details/email, maybe she can help point you in the right direction.

Also, I make most of the accessories for this costume, so feel free to ask Qs.
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottoms are a mechanical stretch twill, probably cotton rich. Not all stretchy fabrics are knitted, some are woven and this is a good example of one.

The top is a double knit, not sure of exactly which but I have a length of Ponte di Roma which shows the same distinct squarish knit pattern:
http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/us/en/zara-us-W2011-s/122013/446570/PONTE+DI+ROMA+TROUSERS
If you look at these pants you can see the very clear knit.
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/7002
It's hard to see the knit pattern here unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That second site is sending me a sample. The pants definitely look to have quite a bit of stretch as well and a similar fabric as the top but maybe a little heavier. The sport pants I was talking about are flat matte finish, not shinny, but my memory is from a time a bit farther back so perhaps the more recent ones are shinny in finish. In any case if the fabric from Spandex World fabrics is right I will be very happy. I always seem to get clients who want the Battle arena costume....one of my least favorite of all the beautiful costumes that Padme wore in the 3 different movies...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pants are definitely a stretch twill Smile
http://public.fotki.com/kait/star_wars/fidm_-_dressing_a/20naboo22.html
If you download the full sized image you can see the wales clearly Smile it also shows the really clearly heavy textured knit of the top fabric too Smile

I had heaps of fun patterning this one ages ago, sold my test piece and I bought the ponte di roma to test my pattern again with a fancy new double needle Wink Actually I'd really love to make this with a cover stitch machine but what can you do Wink

I don't see many people link to this collection of photos but there are some really good photos of many costumes in there Smile

I hope the sample turns out well! I was lucky to be able to handle my fabric in person Smile

I think I know the kinds of sports pants you mean Smile I'm sure I've seen somehting similar in a museum, I know the old rugby jersey's were made of matte fabric too. Now they are thinner and shinier.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks so much neimhaille. Excellent collection of photos. Now to find some stretch Twill...
Trisha Biggar didn't make it easy for us did she.
Rolling Eyes white battle padme
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol! No Wink I have heaps of stretch twill for patterning but it is not of an appropriate texture or colour. I came across some in white with a definite cotton mix but I think I passed it on as it is not in my (overflowing) stash pile Wink )

I have found premade pants in the same fabric many times which is great for making over for yourself but not for commissions.

Good luck in the hunt!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a great white called papyrus and it is so close to right on. Got the top material in a Ponte de Roma which has a really tight smooth weave and the stretch twill, both in a very close matching papyrus. I am ready to do this now. Still looking for a textured fabric for the wrap and I think a white vintage bedspread is going to be the ticket. Just gotta check the stash I have. Every time I see a fabric that looks like one of the costumes I do, I buy it and stash it for future use...that is if I have the money at the time....I have had to pass up some perfect fabrics when I was short funded and have regretted not getting them. Ah but that is the rub when one is recreating another's design.
Elith Dupar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a thick cotton stretch, and it works beautifully!
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ladies,

I am presently working on this costume myself and am having trouble figuring out the seam across the bust.

Would any of you be willing to share some construction tips for this?

I have read through neimhaille's thread and looked closely over her pictures like this one:

And I'm trying to figure out how to put the top and bottom pieces of this front part together.

Kath

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did with the commercial pattern.
I also made a gusset for the underarm section
like it shows in the reference photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.358564834173922.91720.151290624901345&type=1&l=2f4c23b5a3
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Denise, that helps.

I've sewn several costumes with varying degrees of difficulty, but I gotta say these corners are tricky! So much so that I started to think that sewing a finished bottom panel to the top portion would be easier. I did try this with one of my mockups, but it didn't look quite right. I kept looking for tips on sewing corners and finally found a link with some clear instructions on sewing an inset corner that helped me and others might helpful too:
http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/sew-corners-right-angles-pointed-seams

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KatG. That was a good little piece of info too.
Edakin (Edward Hendershot)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

My wife is looking to do this costume. Now neither of us sew. That's why I had my Jedi tunics done for me. I was wondering if maybe someone could do this one for the wife. This would be her 1st costume.

Thanks Edakin

Mos Espa Base Membership Officer
Rebel Legion Costume Judge
Temple Arkanis Assistant Temple Master
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: