About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6debe11a07156079087cf743549f852fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

> Darman's Wife's Leia as Boushh Build, Done
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darman (Bobby Stout)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: > Darman's Wife's Leia as Boushh Build, Done Reply with quote

I built this over the coarse of 6 months, It is done and I am very happy with it. I wanted to put this build thread up in here just in case any one needed any of the info here. I will be adding info to help with sourcing of parts and have a ton of reference pics if there is a place on the site for them.

I have made some progress on my wife's helmet and thought I'd see what you think so far. If you see anything I need to address, please let me know.

After getting the kit, I did the basics:
Opened the visor slots.
removed the mold lines/seam. It didn't need much, the helmet is fantastic.
shaped it up a bit to my liking,. I rounded the corners of the top visor just a bit.
sanded it all down.
hit it with primer. I used dark gray in the areas that would be charcoal and brown everywhere else.
And using small files I added all the cuts, scuffs, and abrasions.

Next came the Metal under coat:

On to paint.

I laid the Brown down this morning. But before doing so, I used tooth paste to mark any areas that I wanted my metal under coat to show though. After I as happy with it, I shot the brown. After the paint sat for a few, I washed off the areas were the tooth paste were and this is the end result.

Thermal Det has arrived as well.

Here are the paints that I chose, if anyone is interested.

Rusoleum:
dark grey primer - 2089
rusty metal primer - 7769
metallic charcoal - 244228
aluminum - 7715
satin dark brown - 241239
Model Master Acryl:
Dark Grey - 4754
Flat Black - 4768

I will also use a black oil paint to do the final rub to weather it all, but that is later.

Last edited by Darman (Bobby Stout) on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Darman (Bobby Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a little weathering to make sure that the over all look is going to work before I start the leather work. The parts are all dry fit at this point. Back and left side stenciling details are done, just the right side to go.

Here is the final weathering. This is done. It is still to dark? Will I need to add Another layer of lighter brown in areas? What do you think? Oh yeah, I also need to stencil on the "1138" on the right side.

Thanks for the advice.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the helmet is complete.
The leather work was fun.
I will weather the leather once the soft parts are done, so they all match.
Any suggestions on the best way to weather the leather on the snout?

It is weird, how the flash changes the look of it. It actually looks better in person, I believe.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally had a little time to get back on this for Michele. I've gotten all the hard parts done and ready to go at this point except the armor itself. The armor will need to be sized after the soft parts are done. Once the blue dries, I plan to sand it to tone it down a bit.

Gloves:
I bought the tan pair. After you weather them a little. Look great, and comfortable.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi[/url] ... K:MEWNX:IT

Glove Spikes:

[url="http://studsandspikes.com/buy/spike-1-2-inch-tree-nb-1-bag-of-20.html"]http://studsandspikes.com/buy/spike-1-2-in...-bag-of-20.html[/url]

Boots:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027IR9RA/ref"]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027IR9RA/ref[/url] ... nkCode=asn

Helmet light kit:

Jon Gohlke
jgohlke@columbus.rr.com

Here is a video of the light kit:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8v53Va4FI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8v53Va4FI...feature=related[/url]

Here is his website:

[url="http://www.fettronics.com/"]http://www.fettronics.com/[/url]

He was super to work with. I got the kit in a week.

First attempt at the soft parts:

This is starting to get good. Denise sent me a sneak peak of the soft parts. They are looking outstanding!

Revised and final version of the soft parts:

Denise made some changes. I like the neck color better. Pants, still not sure. What do you guys think? She said the new pants are more accurate to what others have made. I definitely trust her on this, I am just looking for opinions.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all her soft parts in last week, but have been busy with a kitchen remodel, so it had to come first. The soft parts are amazing. I hope to get back on this costume and have it done next week. We are so close.

I added some vents in the snout, because Michele was feeling claustrophobic in the helmet. I drilled out the little squares and then took a small square file to each opening. All the little ridges are still there. I backed it with screen. I cut out the recessed area of the helmet,behind the snout part, as well. I will add a fan as soon as I get one.

From the inside:

We made some more progress on the costume today as well. Just needed some tweaking to fit her frame, Got the spikes on the gauntlets, got the discs on the boot covers, sized the cummerbund down a little, and made the leather belt. I could take the cummerbund in another couple inches, but it will make her chest more prominent and I am already having issues getting the armor to fit her in the chest and shoulders, so we will see how that plays out.

I did find an interesting part fro the leather belt that I haven't seen before. It appears that there are 2 boxes attacked to it. One on each hip. It looks to me like the one on her left hip is the same piece as the comlink in the center of the chest armor.

Thoughts? Anyone have any better pictures?

Last edited by Darman (Bobby Stout) on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Darman (Bobby Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are definitely canisters attached to her webbing bandolier on both sides, But I am talking about the boxes, greebles attacked to the leather belt on both sides as well. As soon as the HD version of the movie comes out, it will clear a lot of mysteries up.

My next task is the canisters on the bandolier. I got one in the kit I bought, but I don't like it. I grabbed a few screen shots with my camera, off the TV. She has one canister on each hip. They look like metal film canisters. (Thanks, Jason.) I need a metal canister in the 3" to 4" size range, with a screw on lid. I had no luck on Ebay. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.

Last edited by Darman (Bobby Stout) on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Darman (Bobby Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered 2 sets of these:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180634757960&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]

off of Ebay. I plan to use the 2 - 3.5" x 2.5" canisters from the sets. It is a tinny bit larger than the plastic container that came with the Bandolier kit. I will weather them of coarse.

The Shoulder armor was a pain the the booty, but I think I have it. Had to cut it up, heat it up, shape it, and put it back together. Carrie's chest wasn't as large as my wife's I am thinking. ( Not that I am complaining.) ;D All I have left to do is prime and paint it up. FUN, FUN, FUN.

I also added more venting to the helmet. I cut rectangles out behind the ear pieces. You can't see them, but they are nice and large.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done but the tweaks, a few odds and ends, and the weathering.

Done. Other than a little more weathering.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is copied over from Boushhbuilders, [url="http://thebbg.proboards.com"]http://thebbg.proboards.com[/url], I will need to go through it and clean it up, but it is a start.

Next on my list is to build the staff/pole weapon/thing.

Thanks, I have weathered the cape and bandolier a bit more and repainted the bandolier parts a bit. I still need to weather the pants a bit more.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the inside looks like.

I had to build the staff in a week, for an event, so didn't take build pics, but I modeled it off of the side show 12" and the screen grabs I have. It is really close. I will know better once the Blu-ray comes out. Here is one of the screen grabs, you can see that there is a canister on the side of it that the side show fig. doesn't have.

I feel like the top part is a little big, overall, in circumference and needs to be scaled down just a little, but for a rush, it came out nice. I plan to rebuild it and cast it once the Blu-ray comes out and I can get a better look at it.

Here is what I built and it in action this past weekend.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to weather the pants more, other than that, I couldn't be happier with it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant!!!
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad you posted up the complete build here on the RL. There is so little available detailed info on this costume and I also really appreciate the showcasing of both of our efforts on Michele's costume. Thanks for the referrals as well. Couldn't have come at a better time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really well done! One of my favorite costumes, and minus a bit more weathering I think you nailed it perfectly!

Bob
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it looks great!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: