About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=929bece72836625c05798c2c1a8ce6d7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode I Battle Handmaidens
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Episode I Battle Handmaidens Reply with quote

Miana, JediDWH, and I are working on putting together Battle Maiden costumes in honor of the re-release of Episode I in 3D. While we're having a party of the planing process on the Sunrider Base forms, I thought I would bring some of our progress over here in case anyone else is working on this one too.

We made a trip to the LA fashion district this week and came up with some lovely fabrics, but I will wait until I have daylight to take some photos of it. In the mean time, a mockup:

Obviously, in the real fabric, there won't be a seam part way across the front. It was just easier to pattern it that way.

I based the coat off of Butterick 4688. Although I don't have pictures of the mockup, I based the shirt off McCall's 2401, and I plan to do pants off of Burda 7746.

To narrate the mockup, the front is a single piece on both sides that drops down in a long rectangle. Pinning it back gives it the shape and body it has in the movie. The back skirt bit is six full box pleats. I tapered it out with a bit of an A-line in the pattern, but I was counting on 60" width, but the fabric we found isn't that wide, so I may have to bring it back to just a regular rectangle. The sleeve is a half circle with the radius of my arm-length.

One of my jobs for the next couple of days is to figure out how to make it so that the facing for the collar is just folded over rather than sewn on. While some of the photos do show a seam at the peak of the collar, earlier ones do not. That, and mocking up the pants.

It was a really long, involved hunt, but we found a trim that looks really close, as the exact match cannot be found any more.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/43726960/gold-floral-jacquard-ribbon-35-mm

The seller is really awesome and shipped it right away (all 38 yards of it. Very Happy ), so I would highly recommend her to anyone else looking to do this costume. Still it's coming from Turkey, so it will be a week or so before it gets to me.

I will post more as we have more progress.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress! I mocked up the pants using a modification of the pattern Burda 7746. I removed the pockets and then adjusted the zipper from the front to a long invisible zipper in the back.

For the real pants, we're planning to add some elastic stirrups to keep the pants from creeping up as we walk.

Also, here's a good shot of the materials we picked up in the fashion district this past weekend:

After much discussion, we decided that we needed a velvet that was neither cotton nor stretchy, and that was harder than we expected to find. We did luck out and find that gorgeous silk velvet on sale. Rayon velvet would also have been an option for how it drapes, but the silk velvet turned out to be cheaper.

For lining, we went with silk charmeuse (although satin charmeuse would have nearly the same effect). We just couldn't go with anything less than silk for lining with that gorgeous silk velvet. The shirt fabric is a nice red-pink cotton weave. Some of the action shots from the movie really make the shirt fabric look like it's a two-way stretch fabric, but we couldn't find anything exactly like that. It was probably a custom dye job, but none of us really have the space to do a good dye job, so we settled with a plain weave and a little less flexibility in the elbows.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! It's looking really awesome! I made this costume for a friend last year, so if you want any advice, feel free to ask. However, this costume is SO simple. The collar is very tricky though Smile .

That is so incredible that you found silk velvet at a good deal! How much did you pay for it? I used velveteen on the one I made, but I'd love to make another one in silk.

Looks like you guys are doing a fab job! Can't wait to see the finished results!

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ended up getting the velvet for $12 a yard. The biggest issue we had is that we needed an estimated 22 yards, and we bought the entire roll off the guy and it only came out to 18.5. We're going to try cutting everything at once and try and jigsaw all the pieces to make it all fit.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which should end up working, mind- Jenna's estimates were on the generous end, and as she pointed out to me later, she assumed that each piece would take up the full width of the fabric in her calculations, which is not the case. Jigsawing should resolve the missing yardage problem. Now, to figure out where we can lay out 18.5 yards of silk velvet... Shocked

Although... it'll be a bit darkish because that's how we roll, buuuuut if we came on a Sunday, I'll bet we could take over a corridor at work and cut it all out. The building is about a city block long, and we probably wouldn't get in anyone's way. Lay out all our pieces, pin, and snip.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it!

Just don't pull a me and jigsaw the pants pieces in opposite directions for same-side pieces. Embarassed

You are going to look so awesome!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12! Incredible! That is a deal for sure. Can't wait to see how the cutting goes! Don't forget the nap!

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, believe me, there are arrows all over our patterns. Mr. Green If something isn't laid out correctly, we will notice it.

Also, as I was in the kitchen making dinner, I hear the sounds of "Lisa! Lisa!" I looked over, and Jenna was sitting on the floor by the sewing table, tugging eagerly at the shirt fabric and grinning. "It's a two way stretch!"

So, yeah. We apparently accidentally bought the two way stretch we couldn't find. Kona cotton, for anyone else who might be looking. It has just the right amount of give to it, and should be perfect. Huzzah!

Also also, we went on Amazon to see if we could acquire some el cheapo prop guns to modify for the time being. There were three left, and they were $5 each, so I bought them all. Hope you don't mind, Rachel, but it was super cheap. Even if you don't want it, I'll find something to do with it. But even if I don't end up keeping it for the official costume, costumes are way more fun with pew pews. Mr. Green

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally want one! I'm working on my mockup of the coat. Sizing this thing up is being a real headache; I had to lay the actual pattern over Jenna's pattern to figure out where I'm going wrong in sizing this thing. I HOPE I got it right; I'm blowing through my cheap mock-up fabric like there's no tomorrow. Laughing

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, I'm glad I only need to size things down. Which I still need to do, sometime very soon.

Just for reference, here's the blaster:

With a bit of paint and love, it might actually be pretty decent.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 8 hours pleating today and came up with this:

The bad news is that is only enough for three sleeves, and we have six arms between us. So, I've got to do another set.

In case anyone is curious what my measurements I worked out for the pleats were, here's a handy little diagram worked up in MSPaint:

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nice. Smile The mockup looks good and so do the fabric. Look forward to some pics of the actual costume.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joining the I-Only-Bothered-To-Do-One-Mockup-Sleeve brigade.

My collar is nowhere as nice as Jennas, though.

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirt 1 of 2 I'm making tonight! Zipper's still being a bit tricky, but if I can get the bulk of construction done tonight, I'll be a happy camper.

So, on to more sewing. But first, food!

Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my undershirt and pants mockups done too! Now to just go rip out all the seams and make new patterns out of them...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: