About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1053df3fcb589e1e2bbe2a062de8bcbbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

FX lightsaber repairing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: FX lightsaber repairing Reply with quote

Hello there!

I´ve got a Hasbro Luke Episode VI FX lightsaber.
Now the LED´s on the blade´s first 10 cm next to the hilt don´t work anymore.
I don´t want to send the saber to somewhere or somwho, so my question is:
Is it possible to repair this e.g. for an electronic worker, or will the saber be destroyed completely when openend (thats what I read when looking for a solution in the net)?

Does someone have experiences in repairing Hasbro sabers?
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your options are to either repair it or order a conversion kit.
There are Youtubes out there on how to take them apart. Most likely you will just need to re-solder a connection, or two, or three.
So...theoretically someone with electronics experience could do it, because you don't really need electronics experience to operate a soldering iron. But, they may not feel comfortable taking it apart. I would watch the Youtube a few times and see if it's something you would be comfortable doing yourself. If so, pick up a soldering iron and some solder from your local hardware store and do it.
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions for dismantling the saber:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?5728-05-MR-Luke-Done-amp-kits-available

Kit to convert it from an led string to a single led in the hilt:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MR-FX-Luke-ROTJ-conversion-kit-P243.aspx
As far as I can tell, the Hasbro Luke ROTJ is identical to the Master Replicas version, as long as it isn't a removable blade type.

The problem you're having is either one of two things. The blade has a damaged led string pcb, which may or may not be an easy fix, or the other thing is a blown transistor on the sound board itself.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vader one just won't turn on anymore, even when I changed the batteries. Embarassed

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, guys!
Especially the costumsabershop-link is very helpfull!
I think I´ll do it myself...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FX lightsaber repairing Reply with quote

Okami Dai wrote:
Hello there!

I´ve got a Hasbro Luke Episode VI FX lightsaber.
Now the LED´s on the blade´s first 10 cm next to the hilt don´t work anymore.
I don´t want to send the saber to somewhere or somwho, so my question is:
Is it possible to repair this e.g. for an electronic worker, or will the saber be destroyed completely when openend (thats what I read when looking for a solution in the net)?

Does someone have experiences in repairing Hasbro sabers?

I did it some time ago with MR Luke EpVI saber ... based on this

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?5728-05-MR-Luke-Done-amp-kits-available Wink

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay-gon Jinn wrote:
Kit to convert it from an led string to a single led in the hilt:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MR-FX-Luke-ROTJ-conversion-kit-P243.aspx
As far as I can tell, the Hasbro Luke ROTJ is identical to the Master Replicas version, as long as it isn't a removable blade type.

The problem you're having is either one of two things. The blade has a damaged led string pcb, which may or may not be an easy fix, or the other thing is a blown transistor on the sound board itself.

Late to the party, but I'm in the middle of converting the same saber to a removable blade. Be aware that the conversion kit does NOT fit the Hasbro - you will have to sand down a bit of the blade opening to get the adapter to fit.

It's a shame I missed this as if you just wanted it repaired, I could have done it for you as I removed a perfectly good LED blade from my Hasbro in order to change over to a Luxeon and removable blade.

Let me know if you have any questions on converting it. the wiring is also different than the MR model. Once I've completed my conversion, I'll post a tutorial as I don't think anyone has documented the Hasbro version yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: