About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4e5b7626b2fb3070dd6cf7d605159fb5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Navajo Bro's Jedi update thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Costume Build Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Navajo Bro's Jedi update thread Reply with quote

Here's a spot for you to post your costumes, your concept and what parts you have/would like to see for potential upgrades. If you could with the images, talk about the parts you have and the group in general can offer some pointers if you like... they all look pretty sharp to start with!
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome guys thanks! I'll start off with my two Obi-Wans, since I basically purchased them both already made and did simple mods to make them fit me personally. I explained in the other thread, because of work I can't grow a full beard, so I don't think I could ever try and qualify as a "face character" Obi-Wan anyway, but I love to wear them at informal events since I love his character and when I have my kids or we need spotters (unhelmeted members) it's perfect to wear.

I bought two TCW style armored Obi-Wans from two of the absolute best looking Obi-Wans here:

I loved the fiberglass armor so I used that. I added some vecro stuff to hold it in place:

I know the forearms are supposed to be sleek, but I had to trim them to fit over my arms, and I also had to use a larger PVC connector for the biceps since they were too small as well (darn gym lol):

I did some stuff on the soft parts, with velcro here and there to hold things on, but I still need to maybe clean up the tunic a little. I'll try to grab some better shots of it alone on me, but here's my finished product so far:

Thoughts?

TB/TI/TK/TS/TX/CC/BH-8869
501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

501st Legion Trooper of the Month - July 2012
Special Ops Squad Leader - October 2012
First Ever 501st Legion approved Snow Scout
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the "Old Ben" costume, I also got that from one of the best looking Ob-Wans here. I had some extra funds floating around last year, and with twins on the way this might be my last chance for big purchases, hahaha, so I went all in Smile

The only thing I needed to do on this one was make a new belt, which I did:

I can get specific shots of anything you'd like to see closer or better, and would love thoughts and opinions Smile

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My generic Jedi is the one I would need the most changes on. I made this before I even knew about the RL or costuming... I found a pattern in the store that looked like a Jedi and my mom sewed it for me. I used heavy canvas type material because that was the color I wanted, lol, and after I finally joined I obtained boots, the belt, pouches and food capsules but other then that I never changed the base costume:

I'm pretty sure the tabards are too big? And I need to add some pants stirups things so they don't bunch at the boots, but not sure what else might be off.

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

arand08 (Andrew Randolph)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I'm really impressed

”We take what is given"- Kol Skywalker
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arand08 wrote:
For what it's worth I'm really impressed

Thanks but I can't really take too much credit - the "old Ben was bought from Dave "witness" and the CW Armor Obi from Christian "defyitall" and Jedi-J (combination of both theirs).

I totally redid the "old Ben" belt but used the same buckle, pouch and lightsaber clip, and the armor was just some mods and tweaks here and there with the exception of biceps which I somehow did manage to weather almost exactly to match the rest of it Wink

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

HooliganJim ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you know they were selling the stuff?? Those costumes are AMAZING!!!!!
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job!!!!
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HooliganJim wrote:
How did you know they were selling the stuff?? Those costumes are AMAZING!!!!!

Everything was being sold on these boards... the Old Ben was also on either BSN or the Legion boards too Smile

Thanks for all the kind words, is there anything you guys can see I need fixed on any of them? I'm pretty happy with the two Ben costumes, but would love to know if anything needs done to 'em Smile

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing a couple of thoughts out there:

1. CW OWK – hey, don’t diss the face character! A bit of liquid latex, the appropriate crepe hair and you’ll have a beard you can pop on whenever with some spirit gum. Oddly enough (might need to fix this after standards are released) you don’t need to have the facial hair for this costume – it’s one of the formal requirements, but you’ve got 1. knees attached to armor and 2. OWK Ep III lightsaber. That being said, I remember defy’s build, so I have no doubt about the quality of that armor and materials. Since you’ve got big guns, lol, you may try and weather the bicep piece a bit more just so it matches the grime of the war as seen on the forearms. Other than that, I think it looks pretty much ready to submit as formal.

2. Old Ben – This is uber nit-picky, but since you asked… you may want to look at the hem to see if there’s some you can let out. Looking at the screenshot here you can see how just the toe sticks out as he’s walking through the corridor. He almost seems to ‘float’ because of the skirt portion. Beyond that, everything looks shiny and is ready to submit as well!

3. Generic Jedi – I think you’ve already hit on the main ‘problem’ here, if you even would consider it a problem. The tabards across the shoulders are a bit wide and could just be pinned & sewn. If you wanted to go with a new set, you can certainly trim the shoulders and widen the bottoms. Bring them together in the back like you do in the front (though this may just be a ‘dressing’ thing). Giving them a (maybe quarter inch) fold on the inside edge of the tabard and stitching a seam where the obi will cover them will help as well – it will allow them to angle towards the center of your body on the top and then appear to hang straight down below the belt. Think of it like a ‘V’ where the ends hang directly below the bottom – it will also save a lot of tugging while trooping to keep them straight. Digging the Qui-Gon boots as well!

All in all, you really don’t have anything you ‘need’ to do. I’d drop them all into the ‘add a costume’ queue and get your generic Jedi updated as well as the others!
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, great suggestions and just what I'm looking for in terms of advice from the masters Smile

I got a little sidetracked with work and some personal stuff, but hope to get back on track with some costume fixes all around. I'm clearing out some work space now and by next month plan on making some progress as the "trooping season" is coming up quick Razz

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to follow up on submittal, things got a little crazy with my new daughter and some complications with the pregnancy (and subsequent premature birth - but so far things are okay).

For my "old Ben" costume, I checked the hem and there really isn't anything to let out so it's kinda locked into the length it is. I do see what you are talking about, and I'll be wearing it tonight so I'm going to see if I was riding it high on my shoulders and maybe pulling it up more because the first time I wore it I swore it was lower hahaha!

I was asked to wear it to tonight's Roller Derby event because they want some Rebels to go against the NER for the opposing team, so I figured I'd better try and get it accepted so I can start truely representing the RL when I rock it Smile

I'm going to work on the other stuff over the summer as I'm also building a new Clone and making some minor tweaks on a lot of my other costumes but figured if old Ben is ready to go I'd like to submit that.

Let me know if you want me to send pix through the costume thing on my profile or if you just grab them from here, thanks!

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad things are okay so far with the baby - praying for her!

As for the costume, things have changed a little since we last talked, since the new standards have kicked in on June 1st. Check them out here.

There is another method you could use that I employed. I recently had my Jedi General submitted and the back was far too short for my liking. But because there is an obi, we can put a seam at the waist level! I cut off the old, shorter end at obi-level and attached longer material. The seam itself is hidden under the obi and now it's adequately long so my rear is not flapping in the breeze. You could probably use that to add more material to boot length.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endorscout64 wrote:
Any updates?

Thanks for reminding me Tim, I actually do it's just been so crazy still with kids and house. Katie is doing better and Nicole is back to work, and we are doing renovations which got major delays which has a few of my rooms looking like a bad episode of hoarders hahaha!

Things are smooth but it's almost impossible to get set up for a new complete photoshoot, but I did grab some shots the last time I had stuff on just didn't post because I was hoping for a more complete session (but doubt that will happen until early next year).

Here is what I look like when I can get enough time off to grow a beard, I have natural grey in the chin and used a little halloween spray stuff to fill it in:

If this is low enough to satisfy the judges on the "skirt" then I believe I'm done with the minor tweaks to make it better:

For generic Jedi, don't laugh but we had a huge iPlay America event and last minute they needed me to wear my Jedi (originally I planned Biker Scout). I hadn't wore my generic in a while and it was packed in a bin and super wrinkely. My iron is lost in my renovation hoarder mess, so I had to throw it in the wash, then planned to hang and dry. I forgot to take it out before I left for work, and Nicole was nice enough to do it for me - only she threw it all in the dryer!! I paniced at first because it shrunk, lol, but realized although it was a little tighter in the waist the tabbards actually looked the right size now hahaha! The obi was shot but luckily my Old Ben had a spare one so I used that. I just need to take some pictures, I didn't grab any without the robe on at iPlay, sorry.

CW Obi-Wan I still need to get a beard, even if I was to grow mine out enough it has grey and wouldn't match the look lmao, but have a lead on a pretty decent looking fake one.

Let me know what you think and if I can at least get Old Ben approved, thanks !

501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Costume Build Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: