About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8ac328ce03c55cd4a1856ecb51eb22a3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION Reply with quote

A Message From the Rebel Legion Costuming Judges:

As I struggle with yet another really difficult, distracting, multi-colored background submission photo, I want to give upcoming applicants some tips for making your submission go faster and smoother.

1. Submit more than 1 photo.

The best shots are a full (head-toe) front and a full back, which show the details of your costume. If the Legion Costuming Judge cannot see the details and confirm that you have met the requirements, then your application will be put aside while we request and wait for more pictures.

If you take a long time to get us additional photos (over 2 weeks), then your application may be "dumped" by the system and you'll have to submit a new application. It's a pain for everyone; giving Judges everything they need the first time around is much easier.

Action shots are good for your membership picture, but we really need the "boring" ones.

2. Choose a plain, solid colored background for your pictures. (Preferably something that contrasts with your outfit colors.)

Pictures with brick walls, rock walls, bushes, trees, wood fences, mulch, grass, polka-dots (I got two with that background Shocked ), patterned wallpaper, and/or same/similar colors to your outfit take a lot longer to Photoshop. It breaks my heart to see a really great costume be "butchered" in the background deletion process because of all the little, nitty, irritating pieces that need to be removed so that you can be "placed" in one of our backgrounds from the movies.

An Endor Trooper may look great in the backyard, but that means the LCJ has to spend even more time to remove all those elements so that we can put in an actual image from Endor behind you.

Think "greenscreen" and don't worry about the background details; plain is good.

3. BE PATIENT.

LCJs have a life outside of RL and sometimes we can't get to your application as fast as we would like. The LMO requests that we process applications within two weeks of it being submitted. That may mean that people who submit at the beginning of the window may wait longer than those who submit at the end. We tend to do applications in batches.

4. Accept the LCJ's decision.

It has been a 4+ year process to upgrade the costuming standards for this club. Just because "that guy" got in with an inferior costume doesn't mean you can. "That guy" may have joined back in 2002 when the standards were less strict and his profile hasn't been updated/edited yet.

The standards are the standards. You need to read them and follow them. If you have questions then ask the LCJ for that costuming category before submitting your application; they should be able to give you the information you need.

The costuming forums (Pilot, Jedi, Rebel Troopers, Royalty/Senatorial, etc.) are there for YOU. There is a TON of good information in there. The Rebel Trooper forum even has "Where to Get" threads at the top of the page so that you can get your items from the same suppliers as the rest of the full members. Use the Search function on this board to find discussions on specific items.

If you are still unhappy about the decision, then you can go to the Legion Membership Officer and request a review.

Thank you for listening and I hope your upcoming applications go smoothly. Smile
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: thanks and a question Reply with quote

Thanks for this good advice.
I'm having trouble finding costume standards for The Clone Wars (current Cartoon Network series) Kenobi. Can you direct me? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks and a question Reply with quote

TheNegotiator wrote:
Thanks for this good advice.
I'm having trouble finding costume standards for The Clone Wars (current Cartoon Network series) Kenobi. Can you direct me? Thanks.

You can find them here:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13408
TheNegotiator (Derek Struchtemeyer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool; thanks! I'm almost there with my costume! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: rejudging Reply with quote

Im reading about this rejudging. How will I know if my costume has been rejudged and passed or not?

Jonathan
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only costumes in the old frames will be getting rejudged. if you dont have a costume in an old frame you needn't worry.
jonathansams (Jonathan Sams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: new frame? Reply with quote

ok..again, im lost. I havent been on the site for a while, and I cant remember what the old pic frames looked like, mine now has 3 lights on the bottom of it...is that the "new" one? I guess i need to get on more often.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the new frame you have.

The old frames were rectangular and all the same. The new ones have different colors for each category, with your Base logo on it.

You're good.

Here's what the old frame looks like:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

THANKS Jedi Loreen so much....i really should get on here more...lol
Anakinos (Thad Laskowski)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:
A Message From the Rebel Legion Costuming Judges:

As I struggle with yet another really difficult, distracting, multi-colored background submission photo, I want to give upcoming applicants some tips for making your submission go faster and smoother.

1. Submit more than 1 photo.

The best shots are a full (head-toe) front and a full back, which show the details of your costume. If the Legion Costuming Judge cannot see the details and confirm that you have met the requirements, then your application will be put aside while we request and wait for more pictures.

If you take a long time to get us additional photos (over 2 weeks), then your application may be "dumped" by the system and you'll have to submit a new application. It's a pain for everyone; giving Judges everything they need the first time around is much easier.

Action shots are good for your membership picture, but we really need the "boring" ones.

2. Choose a plain, solid colored background for your pictures. (Preferably something that contrasts with your outfit colors.)

Pictures with brick walls, rock walls, bushes, trees, wood fences, mulch, grass, polka-dots (I got two with that background Shocked ), patterned wallpaper, and/or same/similar colors to your outfit take a lot longer to Photoshop. It breaks my heart to see a really great costume be "butchered" in the background deletion process because of all the little, nitty, irritating pieces that need to be removed so that you can be "placed" in one of our backgrounds from the movies.

An Endor Trooper may look great in the backyard, but that means the LCJ has to spend even more time to remove all those elements so that we can put in an actual image from Endor behind you.

Think "greenscreen" and don't worry about the background details; plain is good.

3. BE PATIENT.

LCJs have a life outside of RL and sometimes we can't get to your application as fast as we would like. The LMO requests that we process applications within two weeks of it being submitted. That may mean that people who submit at the beginning of the window may wait longer than those who submit at the end. We tend to do applications in batches.

4. Accept the LCJ's decision.

It has been a 4+ year process to upgrade the costuming standards for this club. Just because "that guy" got in with an inferior costume doesn't mean you can. "That guy" may have joined back in 2002 when the standards were less strict and his profile hasn't been updated/edited yet.

The standards are the standards. You need to read them and follow them. If you have questions then ask the LCJ for that costuming category before submitting your application; they should be able to give you the information you need.

The costuming forums (Pilot, Jedi, Rebel Troopers, Royalty/Senatorial, etc.) are there for YOU. There is a TON of good information in there. The Rebel Trooper forum even has "Where to Get" threads at the top of the page so that you can get your items from the same suppliers as the rest of the full members. Use the Search function on this board to find discussions on specific items.

If you are still unhappy about the decision, then you can go to the Legion Membership Officer and request a review.

Thank you for listening and I hope your upcoming applications go smoothly. Smile

I have posted this very same thing in the Jedi area a while ago. If you need more info Donna here is the link and feel free to take what you need. That's goes for anyone else who would like to use he post I made.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16545

hope this helps

thadios

Lady Lekku ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION Reply with quote

Hello!

I am planning on submitting a Shaak Ti costume for entry into The Rebel Legion and for the life of me, I could not find where the costume standards are for her.

If I could recieve any direction from anyone, that would be grand!

Thank you!

L. Lekku
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are none posted but I am trying to work on some. The general rule is to use a picture of the character and basically try to get it as close as you can.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Costume standards Reply with quote

Cool beans!
That is what I've been doing thus far.
I just wasn't sure how detailed I needed to go.
My Darth Talon submission to the 501st is veeeeeerry specific, so I just wanted to make sure I was on the right path.

Thank you very much for the quick reply! Smile

L.Lekku

padme911 wrote:
There are none posted but I am trying to work on some. The general rule is to use a picture of the character and basically try to get it as close as you can.

JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bumping the topic here for a general reminder. There have been a lot of applications coming through the judges queue that have only one image, the ‘frame’ image that would go on your membership profile. Please be sure to include at least 4 others when you apply – front, back, left and right. If Jedi, make sure these are without robes and add a 5th that would be wearing the robe.

To make the process and your acceptance as smooth as possible, follow this rule of thumb – if you are looking at your photos, can you clearly identify all the required (red) parts per your specific costume standard? Do you have the additional formal requirements (blue) pictured?

There is no limit on how many images to upload, and I can tell you from experience, the more the merrier for a judge. So if you’re doing a Princess and have a keyhole opening in the back and slit for the boots, maybe take close-ups of those areas and add the extra images. Have an Ewok with different fingers? A snapshot of that added to the f/b/l/r images would be helpful. All these ‘extras’ may seem unnecessary, but if the judge cannot see the detail as listed in the standard, they will have to email you and ask for additional images, causing delays to your acceptance. Keep your photos as well lit as possible and on a plain background (even if it's just a wall) to feature your costume if possible. The easiest application to approve basically relists the standard as a ‘checklist’ in the description, showing where you’ve met the requirements.

Also, the description field is useful to talk about the materials used, lining, type of Lightsaber, Fx blaster, helmet design or creation methodology. A link to additional images (Photobucket, Flicker, etc.) can be added.

A few good examples:
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Hawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife would like to apply for NRJ status.
We took nice clear pictures of her front and back. But They are not the pictures she wants to actually submit for membership... We were just wondering if there is someone we could send these to as sort of "pre-approval" pictures. Then IF there are any adjustments to be made, we can make them and then send in the final pictures for membership application.

Why dont we just use these pictures?
Because she didnt have time to really do her hair and make-up and such. She just wanted to get pics of the costume itself to find out if we are good as far as that goes. THEN we can (when she's got more time) get the pictures we want to submit for membership taken and sent. Make sense?

Smile

THanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: