About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6d203c036fb2db48a5dc4cbc2529dc67Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Utility Box Tutorial, by SithariRog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Jedi Utility Box Tutorial, by SithariRog Reply with quote

Jedi Utility Box Tutorial

The following is mostly a picture tutorial of how I developed a new sculpt for Jedi Utility Boxes. I won't bother showing every detail, but will offer basic ideas for how I developed these utility boxes.

I used many reference photos of the four main Jedi utility boxes seen in Episodes I, II and III. From the reference pictures (and from help from others) I developed scale drawings of each of the four designs. The overall process you see took me several months from start to finish.

First, I made boxes from foam boards to closely approximate the scale drawings.

Next, I layered sculpting wax on each of the boxes. The sculpts were roughed in after which I drew the box design on the wax to use as guide to finish the initial sculpts.

Although many different mediums can be used for sculpting, in this instance I used dental sculpting wax. Yes, I'm a dentist...and I had some very brittle wax that I didn't like for use at my office, so I brought it home to use for these boxes. It worked rather well. However, the next time I sculpt something like this, I'll likely use a medium to hard sculpting clay.

Here you see the final wax sculpts of each of the boxes.

Molds were made using silicone mold material and FoamIt in foam board boxes. Inserts were also made in order to cast hollow resin boxes (to make the boxes lighter (in weight) and to reduce the cost of the resin used).

Here you see the polyurethane castings.

Once in this form, I could see a number of blemishes that were not apparent in the wax stage. I decided to "resculpt" the resin boxes (by sanding, carving, add bondo, etc.) to get the surfaces and details to my liking. These were painted (with basic white glossy paint) to achieve a smooth surface. Once this was accomplished, I made new silicone molds (with silicone and FoamIt) in wooden boxes. These became my final molds (not pictured) from which many sets of Jedi Utility Boxes can be cast. The first casting from these final molds was cleaned and put safely away to be used as my master props from which new molds can be made in the future (when the existing molds become worn out and useless).

For the sets that I'm now making, I decided to dye the resin dark brown so that, if someone bumps the boxes and scrapes off some paint, the underlying material will be dark brown and not so easily noticeable (as oppose to casting them in the non-dyed and very white resin).

The boxes were sanded and painted with primer (from a rattle can) followed by airbrushing with layers of red (opaque), brown (transparent) and black (transparent) paint to simulate leather.

I modified high quality belt clips and then riveted them to black ABS backs (trimmed to the respective box) which were then glued (with Automotive Amazing Goop) to the back of each box.

One last picture of the Jedi Utility Boxes. The three boxes on the left (the small, tall and wide with gold button) belong to Obi-wan Kenobi. The three boxes on the right (the tall and both wide boxes) belong to Anakin (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Finally, these boxes are non-functional (as they apparently were in the movies). I will consider making the wide boxes function in the future. I have many other costuming projects to start and finish before I consider making some functional Jedi Utility Boxes. For now, the boxes I offer are non-functional.

Here is an alternate paint scheme for the Jedi Belt Utility Boxes. I used the same dark gray primer as with the original paint scheme. The visible layers include pearl, gray and black. I think these should be good for any generic New Republic Jedi costume. I hope you enjoy these "different" utility boxes Wink

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: