About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7d28571d11bc946ed3c5c245f2365736Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Waldo's C 3PO Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo Kent (Jeff Kent)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm using sign plastic it's important to reinforce it from the inside because it is flexible. You don't want your seams coming apart.Cut strips of fiberglass mat and brush inplace. I imagine if you can't fiberglass you can probably add hot glue (don't melt the plastic) or blobs of 5 min epoxy.

Once cured, sand and clean for priming.

Once primed look for pits and gaps then fill. Sand and reprime.

UPDATE ON LEG RIGGING
If you look at my very first post you'll see how I'm using bunjee cords hooked at the shin knee and hooked to the top of the thigh. After trying the shorts on there wasn't much room for that. This is from what I gathered is the way most builders attach their bujee cords. But for me it's not working out.

Using the same bunjee cords and wheels for a sliding screen door (home depot) and we will try to do it simular to how AD's suit is.

Remove the wire binder from both ends of the cord. Bring the two ends together and make a doughnut. Use the wire from the hook to bind the ends together.

Since you already have a bolt attached to your knee greeblie simply install one of the wheels and use a washer.

For me I have already fiberglassed in the hooks for the other side so I'll use those for now. The wheels come with bolts so you can fiber glass those in for the other areas.

Before you install the wheels in the thighs you might want to try on the shorts and thighs together to determine where they can fit. You don't have to go up high. Once you determine where they will go, remove the primer in that area by sanding And mark the placement with a Sharpie. Before you fiberglass, cut a small square from mat, cut a hole and insert the provided stem from the door wheel. Brush on your resin, place another precut square over the resin, brush resin on then place the stem and mat on, followed by smaller strips of mat aroung the stem.

You may want to trim the stem with the wheel in place before you fiberglass it in place. You might need the room.

As you can see the stem is protruding over the wheel. I'll trim it later. I also plan on gluing each wheel down on the surface of the fiberglass to take the stress off of the stem.

Attach the bunjee and screws and your set. If the bunjees slip off of the wheels you can always glue plastic circles to the top of the wheels.
TKJimbo (James Hannon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUst came across this from 501st.com's forum, and this is awesome - I love seeing how these costumes are built!

Please join my Facebook Group for my book Lost Boys of the Bronx: the Oral History of the Ducky Boys Gang
sir.Marek (Marek Krukierek)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic Threepio build show Cool
Thanks for sharing Smile
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you certainly are talented good luck with your build, looking forward to seeing final build.

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
Batman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Knee mod you did there. keeping it spacious inside can be a trick, but your gonna have an awesome suit when it's done.
Waldo Kent (Jeff Kent)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The past three or four months I've been busy planning Shoot-a-Trooper for CVI but hope to finish sometime after CVI.
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build looking forward to seeing more progress photos.

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last update was in December 2011. You may be waiting a while.

A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: