Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9f2e0e98963140df41f5b3259c5ba703Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done much on this lately due to other projects and the busyness of daily life.

I'm slowly re-working the artwork for the fabric pattern. I wasn't thrilled at how my first attempt ended up in terms of the fabric swatches, so I started over.

What I really need is an industrial embroidery machine and lots of time and money. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly this one has been put on a small hold due to money. I think that's what has held a LOT of people back on this one. But, always keeping an eye out on all the other non-embroidered fabrics on this one. Crying or Very sad

I am still trying to figure out the pattern on this one, though. The fabric is so well cut and the fabric matches so well that seam lines are hard to see easily.

It will be done, though. It's a dream costume for me, and I want to wear it!
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skirt to me looks to be four panels.

However, I now think the bodice (forgive me if I am using the wrong terminology) is seven pieces.
If you look at the high-res on this pic:
http://rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/images/refugee/refugee24.jpg
it's three pieces in the front.
On this high-res,
http://rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/images/refugee/refugee23.jpg
you can see two on the back left, coming down to a point, then back up to what appear to be snaps or hooks. [/i]
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this online. I'm thinking it might be passable for the sleeves.

http://www.home-decorating-co.com/waverly-fabrics/pebble-antique-650000.html

Edit: Of course, the problem is, you have to order at least 10 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find! Do they do swatches? It's a promising lead!
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, looks like they don't do swatches. And I'm so bummed; turned out Joann's used to carry this fabric!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've now backed off from ordering a print of the pattern from Spoonflower. The more I think about it, the more I think the texture is just too important.

My latest thought is buying some Venise lace and dyeing it to make the scalloped/paisley pattern. I'd then cut them apart and sew them by hand onto the fabric. (Back to researching grosgrains!)

Here are two I'm considering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330438964006&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330502470443&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_983wt_1163

Anyone have any thoughts on either shape?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't catch those links back in September, now that I look at those sleeve fabrics, I'm pretty sure that's a knit, I bought a fabric exactly like that in a green color in LA. Maybe searching for a textured knit would bring up some results.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where you're coming from with the laces, but oh! the work..... I shiver at the thought :/

Mynocks deliver Babies
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'm thinking of using as a possible for the sleeves:

Refugee sleeve fabric 1

However, it's not the right texture or color; I'd have to try dyeing it.

Confused
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it does seem like a fabric that could be used. I like it Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for those people who have seen the original 'metal' headdress at CII.

The description at Padawansguide says that it was welded from piano wire; and has a few very interesting detail shots of the headdress here.

Now, what I can see in these detail shots that there's this sunray pattern of wires, with other wires 'woven' to them.
If the headdress really just consists of those woven and welded wires, it *should' be somewhat see-through (meaning you should be able to see through the spaces between the wires).
I *think*, for example, that I can "see" the woman's blonde hair (opposed to the black sweater) in the exhibit picture at the bottom of this picture 'through' the headdress; but then again that apparent see-through effect of the blonde hair could also be just a reflection on the wires of the headdress.

So here's my question for those people who have actually seen that headdress in person: Could you see 'through' the wires?

Also, concerning the fabric - I've designed my own and will print it on Spoonflower.
The original fabric was Japanese 'Ogre Crape' (also spelled 'Ogre Crepe') embroidered with roses and what I call 'inverted eagles' (the center stripes), but even after embroidering my Queen Jamillia with 800,000 stitches to get that embroidery as close as possible to the original, I'm not willing to do that again for the travel dress.

So what I basically did was to digitize one repeat of the embroidery using some of the exhibit photos as references, then embroider that design by machine, photograph it, and then made a seamless repeat of it using software.

Here's what my to-be-printed fabric design looks like.
Note that while it may seem a bit brighter on screen compared to the original fabric, the actual printed fabric will not have that brightness and vibrance. The difference between 'pictures on screen' and 'printed fabrics' is that on screen, you have backlight (the image being 'bright' because of the monitor's light), which is something you don't have on printed fabrics.

Of course I also digitized and, well, seamlessly 'fabric-ized' the correct embroidery pattern for the 'cloak' and sleeve cuffs as well as the 'fans' brocade that the coat part is made of; and I may even design the 'bubbly' fabric for the sleeves that way to keep the overall look (and coloring!) consistent.

Since I designed the fabric using pictures of my digitized embroideries... it will look like embroidery on the fabric, too. Not if you look VERY close, but, say, from 2-3 yards distance, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between embroidered fabric and this fake print embroidery ;-)
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...I'm speechless. That fabric is gonna look so cool....

Mynocks deliver Babies
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I've spent a considerable time digitizing it so it will look as close to the original as possible (even taking the tiny 'pleating' of the ogre crepe into consideration, as you can see from my preview picture).
I just need to order swatches of the fabric printed on the various types of fabric Spoonflower offers before I start on the dress, so I'm sure that I will pick "the" fabric on which the fake embroidery looks best, and also which drapes best compared to the original fabric.

But first I'd like to clarify the 'headdress' question. I have no issues with soldering a headdress from actual wires, but want to make sure that this is really the way it's done, without additional backing inside the headdress.
If there is a backing, I'd go the 'simpler' method of laminating the headdress and maybe electroplate it with a bronze finish rather than soldering it from metal.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

I've been working what seems like forever trying to achieve what you have. Smile

Are you going to sell it through Spoonflower, as well? I was going to play this summer with a combination of screen-printing or fabric painting along with embroidering and embellishing with dyed lace cutouts. But if you're will to share it there, PM me, please!

I don't remember any details about the headdress. At SWFFQ, it doesn't look to me like you can see through, but maybe someone knows better or has had a better look at it.
http://www.rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/refugee.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: