About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=04052b884b3de6d34bdbda1b69d5627eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Needing advice on ANH Leia hair buns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda Bear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Needing advice on ANH Leia hair buns Reply with quote

Im currently working on an ANH Leia costume:

Dress- done
Belt- being made by others
Boots- WIP
Hair- .........

Ive been looking at all of the tutorials and have become overwhelmed with all the infomation faced infront of me.

I was wondering if i could get some summed up advice on how to do the iconic hair.

Some background info- Im a 19 year old girl from Australia who has med light brown hair Smile
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet being that you already have the brown hair is to go to a wig shop or wig maker, and have them make you brown clip on buns. Bring a picture with you and explain that you need the buns to look like hers.
If that is not an option for you, then I would suggest getting two brown ponytail extensions and fixing the buns yourself. Depending on how long your real hair is, will depend on which option would be better for you.
Her hair buns are not just normal buns. They are almost like a small twirl in the middle with more hair being looped around that to create the unique large bun. Practice is the best thing. If you feel like you cannot do hair styles very well yourself, then i would suggest going the wig or bun extensions route, that way, they are fixed one time and you can re-use them.
It all depends on your hair styling skills, what you feel comfortable with, and the length of your real hair. Smile
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Furiafelina (Ineabelle Rodriguez)
Puerto Rico Base CO
Puerto Rico Base CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I did mine. It was my first try, they do look better and better with practice. By know you can barely distinguish my hair from the extensions, by using shine finishing hair spray.

I roll the tip of the extensions inside my hair, inward and very tight, securing it with bob pins. then twist slightly the extensions, from the front, down and around, carefully securing each ring with bob pins, until I'm finished.

Furiafelina wrote:

Well, I finally did a Leia to use it for the Build a Bear event.

The buns "almost" look perfect, if it weren't for the center, which is not quite perfectly in place.

I used 4 hair extensions, two on each side to get the correct fullness proportion of the twists, when I used just one they were too thin.

It was a lot easier than I expected. Took me less than an hour. I had to practice 'though. Many of our event demand that we change into costume inside the building the event is being held (mostly stores)

I like the idea of those "ready-made-buns". I may try that.

...and yes, my buns are heavy too.

Detachment Leader / Former Legion Costume Judge
Sheikahchica (Lindsay S.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working on my ANH Leia, I got the recommendation from another girl at our base on a lady that makes the full wig.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Princess-Leia-Star-Wars-Spaceballs-cinnamon-buns-wig-/300614058367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fdfe817f

It looks really realistic (parents and kids alike have thought it was my real hair!), and I like it because if we're doing an event where we need to suit up quickly (most events, haha), I don't need to fumble with my hair too long - just put it in a wig cap, adjust wig on head, a little touch of hair spray if it needs it and you're ready! Just another option! Wink Good luck!
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine, I used two long hair extensions in addition to my own hair.

I twisted my own hair into a small bun on each side of my head and secured in place with a bobble and hair pins. Then, I'd attach one end of the hair extension to my head and twist the hair, then wrap around the small buns until I got to the correct size. It took a lot of hair pins and gave me a sore head, but it worked!

boushh
Rebel Legion UK
501st UK Garrison
This bounty hunter is my kind of scum....fearless and inventive.
padawan_rachael (Rachael James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found a hair of hair buns that look like leia's they had a comb on them ^.^ it was only 6$ each.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister does her own hair in buns. She found that using sock buns adds extra fullness since her hair isn't quite the right length for the full buns yet. And it's just a pain to put the buns in period Smile . My hair is really long (past my waist almost long enough to sit on long) and I can do the buns just fine with my hair. I don't do them often, though Smile .

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot have any braided hair in the buns when you do this costume, as per the costume standard. If it was allowed in the past, it is no longer allowed for formal approval.

"Hair is parted in or near the center and pulled into large buns that cover the ears. Buns are twisted, not braided. No braided hair pieces, wig with braided buns or fake hair “ear-muffs” with headband. Naturally-occurring hair color only; no bangs."
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady Jedi 78 (June McCallum)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the length but i need to add extra hair for the fullness, and the bobby pins don't bother me, and I've gotten the time it takes to do them down to 15 minutes. I add hairnets over the buns, that give it a finished look. The hair nets also help to keep them looking good threw longer events too. I highly recommend hair nets. Leia Buns
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial anywhere on how to style a wig in this fashion?
My hair is blonde and for this costume I would probably wear a wig.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll talk with our local jedi hair stylist and see if he's willing to put one together.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Very Happy but tell him no Jedi mind tricks LOL!
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: