Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=971c5c4e3843a5ccafe81dce63a8aef3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bowcaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Bowcaster Reply with quote

Hi folks,

i´m a pretty happy trooper - yesterday i picked this baby up at the customs office Cool :

Now i need to learn about the prop, and start searching and hunting down the needed parts for a accurate replica.

Wish me luck. Very Happy

Have a nice day,
Michael
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of the knobs are standard electronics components that are still available. I try and put a list together. When I ordered mine there was a minimum order so I have a bunch of spares.

Some of the discs are the old record player discs that are used on the Imperial Officer hats, belt buckles, and so on. ElvisTrooper machines those.

Most of the other discs are also from obscure record players and are equally hard to find. There have been a few obscure runs that I was lucky enough to be a part of. Talk to Kurtyboy on the RPF. I know that he has done runs of some of the greeblies and discs. In fact he is pretty much the expert on the BC.

The center scope is a cone-tipped single point scope with the cheap plastic/rubber adjustment covers (not the metal ones that are more common).
The side scopes are the mysterious "Model 7" scopes found on the Evezan blaster that have been found but never identified. More info about both on my Chewie page.

I have one of each and at some point I'm going to drop them in rubber and do some resin kits, but probably not till after the first of the year.

For the sling look for an M-1 Carbine sling or search eBay for some Aliens Pulse Rifle slings. The TESB/ROTJ sling is an M-1 sling but the nylon medical bag strap used on the aliens PR is the same as on the ANH bowcaster.

The balls on the end of the prod are raquetballs, installed so Peter wouldn't harm himself.

A number of BC builders have bent aluminium flat stock to replicate the prod, as the Horton Magnum Safari prod is too small.

The actual crossbow that was used for the original prop(s) was a a Horton Magnum, an all metal crossbow that was made when Horton was still based in Wales. The Horton Magnum Safari is based on this older crossbow, made after the company relocated to the US.
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, Matt. I really appreciate it. Very Happy

I´m in the lucky position that my little shop is well equipped. So usually i do not need to ask other persons to make metal parts, i can do them on my own. Wink

Marcus (Kurty) is a friend of mine, i count on his help and advice. Mr. Green

I think i will go for the ANH, so the PR sling is the way to go - good to know, thanks.

I read already about the Racketballs, but havn´t found out what brand was used - or if there is a special brand prefered to buy.

It had a 3 part prod (2 separate arms and a centerpiece) of the wrong shape, so i need to make a new one - but Marcus is still researching the correct shape.

This Safari Magnum is "made by Horton of Great Britain" - and "Horton Crossbows UK Ltd" is cast in the frame.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much happened with this baby, that (fiberglass?) plasticstuff is really tough to cut, and loves to melt, and harden in the cut again - couldn´t motivate me to reshape it, yet. That rear cutout alone dulled me 2 jigsaw blades. Confused

But finally i have it´s scope-array together Cool :

Other than that i need to find all parts yet (well, not all - i machined me some imperial discs, and found some of the vintage RCA-plugs), so i´m still on the hunt for the parts.

Have a nice day,
Michael
ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i get one of these guys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: