Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=11125498c11bf2cd10490b65f10657ceMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Jedi (I hope!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Rogue Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that to be faulty, as technically beige is NOT a brown, nor are creams, nor khaki. However, they are all true earth tones - colors of the substance of earth. Sand, stone, dirt, dust - THAT is what earth tone means. Not "anything that comes from the earth" (purple flowers are NOT earth tones!); it's a legitimate color spectrum that painters and textile workers would actually be able to define scientifically. It seems people just don't have a good grasp of colors here. Forgivable, since not many people study true chromatology anyway, but still, they can't keep limiting things like that. How can I voice my dissent?

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the costume judge is the right person to talk to.

But when it comes down to it, formal or informal only really matters if there's a Lucasfilm Ltd. event happening. The Legion does have to stay as close to the source material as it can to represent Lucasfilm. For everything else, you've got a great looking costume that's very recognizable and I don't think you'd be turned away at a local event. I've trooped in non-standard Rebel Trooper costumes before.

And while sometimes "informal" can seem to equate "poor" based on some of the older costumes in the ranks, there are already some excellent recent informal Old Republic Jedi costumes that are only considered so because they're not exactly like what's seen on-screen.

Really, you've got to decide if you're doing your costume for others' approval, or for yourself. I think you've gone on a great personal journey creating something you love, and shouldn't get too worried if not everyone feels the same way. You aready know how we feel about it.
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate them greatly. This was a very personal project done with a lot of love, what surprised me was how much I wanted it to be accepted once I really got a feel for the great community here, and when it was initially turned down I was more upset at being kept out of the community than by the rejection of the costume, which I wouldn't change for anybody (well, besides an upgraded belt, but that's a change made for me, not others).

I spent all last night researching and found SEVERAL interesting supports for my costume! For example, did you know Mace Windu wears GRAY in Episode I? Or that a number of younglings in Episode II wear the EXACT same color I do? I am very hopeful; I sent three e-mails full of pictures that I hope will settle things. I'll post them here later tonight. My spirits are rising once more my friends!

ionicdesign (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Kievan says is true, formal/informal usually only really comes into play for LFL events. That being said, where this is his first costume it must be formal for membership.

I'm interested in seeing your images.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: I had to adjust these posts somewhat, as the original e-mails used number references for the photos, which were originally numbered attachments. As a result, there may be some references that only made sense in the e-mails, which I tried to adjust for a forum posting. Thanks for reading!

THE CASE FOR GRAYER TUNICS

As the future of my application now depends on my demonstrating the justification of gray as an acceptable Jedi - Old Republic color, I would like to present the following as supporting sources to vindicate my claim and gain acceptance into the most worthy Rebel Legion. I put a long period of thought into my color choice, and will stand by it with these sources as support. Each prequal film is represented as I make my case, along with commentary and photographs. The pictures have been numbered, named, and put in proper order to facilitate ease of reference, and as this is a picture-heavy presentation, I will present it in 3 e-mails.

MY COSTUME

Photo 1

is my costume, done with a soft, gray fabric with brown undertones as I have found that the original fabric was brown with gray dyed into it. Following the trade definition of earth tones, I have kept the color to naturally occurring tones of earth, which include browns, grays, metals (gold, silver, copper, rust - metals, not metallics), tans, khakis, etc. After all, neither Qui-Gon nor Obi-Wan wore shades of brown - they wore golds and creams, repectively, which are not brown. Yet mine is disputed because it is more gray in tone. Is this unprecedented in the Jedi Order? Goodness no! But the films don't use gray, do they?

Let's see!

MACE WINDU - EPISODE ONE

Mace Windu - the orthodox hero of the Jedi Order, without question one of the most rigid and strict masters of the Order. But what is this? Look carefully at these photos!

Is Mace wearing gray? YES! Look carefully at this picture:

It is a GRAY tunic! So gray in fact, that the first LEGO figure of Mace Windu wore GRAY!

Now, you say Mace is a face character. Well, of all the face characters to emulate, surely none would be more orthodox, more in line with Jedi thinking than Mace Windu, correct? But he's not the only one!

continued in e-mail part 2

Last edited by Tag Aldeggon () on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEHOLD, YOUR LITTLE ONES! - EPISODE 2
Ah, children. Symbols of innocence, of hope for the future - mine especially. Mace Windu some would say is only one Jedi, or that as an older Jedi he was allowed to deviate from standard rules. Surely then, the Jedi would dress their children, the next generation, in as rigid a manner as possible, correct? No grays for them? NAY! See now this picture!

The younglings Yoda trains dress in many shades, of which gray is PROMINENT!

The Jedi knew that gray was a natural, neutral earth tone - as does Trisha Biggar, the prequal costume designer. For the children, wanting a variety of earth tones that kept to the Jedi color scheme, she dressed them with many shades of gray! Being in the trade, she would know that gray is an important part of the neutral color palatte for earth tones, and so included much gray in the youngling scene. In this picture :

please note that Ashla (togruta youngling on the far right), Jempa (whipid youngling in the center) and Chian (nikto youngling on the far right) wear the EXACT shade of gray that I use! In fact, it looks like it could be the same fabric ... huh!

A closer look at the costumes reveals to me that I could very well be using similar, if not identical material, and should give you a better idea of the color I used. This picture shows how the shade of gray I use works with the earth-toned color scheme:

But the strongest evidence of all, for me personally, is THIS PICTURE:

The Jedi costume on the far left is the EXACT SAME SHADE AS MY OWN COSTUME. I could not have hoped to find a better demonstration of my color and proof of its Old Republic, level 1 film canon use. My fabric is as close to identical to that fabric as one could hope to find. I repeat for emphasis, MY TUNICS ARE ESSENTIALLY IDENTICAL TO THE JEDI OUTFIT ON THE FAR LEFT. I hope that is proof enough!

But for kicks and giggles, here is a little more! This picture is the Star Wars miniature of a Jedi Youngling, all in gray:

And this picture?

The famous LEGO figure known as Jedi Bob, which came with their first Republic Gunship set. He might as well have been a figure made of me.

Smile

Continued in the final Part 3

Last edited by Tag Aldeggon () on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SON OF THE MAKER! - EPISODE 3

Ah, George. You give your children so much. Including cameos in all of your films. So how do you dress them when they appear in your films? Let's check out THIS PICTURE!

Well, if it's your son in an awesome scene where he takes out a bunch of the 501st, it seems you dress him in an entirely gray color scheme! Look at this:

Is that brown? Goodness no! But it is an earth tone, which is the real standard for Jedi!

I mean, come on George, you use more gray than I do! Mine is only used in the outer tunic set, but your whole son is a (cool!) gray display! Not even warm grays, like I and the younglings use! These pictures show that!

It works. Gray, when used with brown and earth tones, works. Even the action figure got that:

The best thing is, all of this evidence is entirely canon. If these e-mails do not validate my choice, nothing will. I kept my choice of gray strictly within those used IN THE FILMS. I hope these e-mails have helped to vindicate my cause!

Do let me know,

Edward

JainaSoloFel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kievan did nail this perfectly. I'm hoping the additional evidence gets you through, but you're still a part of the community. Approved or not.
Jedi Master Tic-Ja Faila (Jakob Lau Smith Tice)
Rogue Base CO
Rogue Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your major at BYU Pre-Law?

Good evidence. I look forward to see their response.
RogueSock (Jordan Goodson)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Tag, let me know what they say.

Also can anyone tell me exactly what kind of D-Ring he would need/Good place to get one?
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, it looks good.
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have been formally denied approval because of the color. They persist in claiming that gray is an exception, which I find shocking in light of this evidence. But then again, I can see why they are so scared of admitting a taupe costume. The ramifications of my evidence basically defies their much-cherished, unfortunate, "browns only rule," and I can see why they would want to avoid making this known. It's almost like a crazy government cover-up! The truth must be known!

Jedi Master Tic-Ja Faila (Jakob Lau Smith Tice)
Rogue Base CO
Rogue Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear it anyway. We'll be glad to have you at the events.

If you're coming to the Provo Parade of Lights tomorrow and have time to talk, I think I may be able to help with getting you official.
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say your fine to troop with us, it looks good, better than others I've seen.
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's super nice of you to say. And Happy Birthday to me!

birthday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Rogue Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: