About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bb5d38add0e2e2c34b201ee78cbe5501Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pilot Sidearms (Hawk-bat specific)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Pilot Sidearms (Hawk-bat specific) Reply with quote

For thos of you who don't know, I am technically the founder of the Hawkbats. I was Hawkbat Lead up till I left the Legion and Gil took over. As such, I've always had a soft spot for the pilots here in Echo base.

one of the things that I always tried to stress was for pilots to wear sidearms when in costume. the main reason being That when posing in pictures with the 501st or other Imperials, They usually had a weapon and they aren't shy about pointing them at us (all in good fun Smile )
I know the pilots at NYCC this year heard me stressing the sidearms lol Hopefully they all took it in good fun.

Now, I wanted to know what the rest of the base felt about the issue. I realize my opinion doesn't carry much pull anymore Wink but I thought I'd open the discussion anyway Smile

Blackstar Squadron
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all but a few of the costumes have blasters as part of their costume. RFTs have the DL-17: but the blaster is optional for formal. The ERT has three blasters and HRT has two blasters. The Rebel Tech is the only trooper that has no blaster on its standard. Pilots have always had blasters as an options.
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's always been an option, but I've always said pilots MUST be armed. lol

It's just that sine I reregistered, I've noticed most pilots without sidearms, which was just the opposite before I left.

Blackstar Squadron
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I use the tried and true, stolen from some Imperial DH-17, as do most of my guys in Buffalo. Ed, you saw my tail-end mods... Mine is still fully functional and fires Nerf darts!

Sidearms are not required, but they're not discouraged either. I feel that if you have one it completes the look of your costume... Sadly, the Nerf DH-17 is hard to find now.

At one time we even had custom Hawkbat holsters made for us:

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TKJimbo (James Hannon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, other than Scott getting rolled up on by 3 cops while walking from the changing room to the event because someone in the hotel saw a "man with a gun" (the cops realized what it was as soon as they saw him), here's why i dont like to carry a gun...

Whenever I carry, i get the kids that dont give a crap about Star Wars or the characters, but all they want to do is "hold the gun"... Hate saying No to em, but I know if I do, then there will be a lot more kids doing the same... And then I have to make sure they dont break it or walk off with it...

Plus with the dual-nature of my x-wing/Tie Pilot persona, I'm safe on both sides....Only weapon I need is my ship... Oh yeah, and my Green Lantern ring...

Please join my Facebook Group for my book Lost Boys of the Bronx: the Oral History of the Ducky Boys Gang
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a con in florida a few years ago, I was stopped by con security when in my X-Wing costume. They wanted to check my Solo Blaster to make sure it wasn't real. Thios was on a Fri. The kicker was Sat, we were doing a GI Joe costuming day and I waked 3 Blocks to the Con in Cammo pants, Jungle Boots, a shoulder holster with a pistol in it and an M-4 Carbine slung from my shoulder and no one said boo. Not even the county Sheriff deputies I walked by.

It never makles sense when you'll be checked for weapons, but it does happen. honestly, that was one of only 2 times I ever got weapons checked.

As for saying no to kids when they want to see myt blaster, well, maybe it's my background in real firearms, but I never have trouble saying no. Especially if it's the opnes who just want to see the gun, and coun't care less about the event of the costume.

Blackstar Squadron
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IC-6369 wrote:
As for saying no to kids when they want to see myt blaster, well, maybe it's my background in real firearms, but I never have trouble saying no. Especially if it's the opnes who just want to see the gun, and coun't care less about the event of the costume.

Exactly, and thanks to that wise man who that designed my holster Wink ... whenever kids start eyeing my blaster a little TOO closely, I just "SNAP" that safety strap on the holster in place and it's CLEAR they're NOT getting their hands on it.

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears you guys are getting another shot at the DH-17 in January 2012

Top shelf, on the right side...

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait.
StoyBoy720 (Bryan Patrick Stoyle)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told a VERY good knock-off of the DL-17 is actually in some Canadian dollar stores.

Failed First Dates - Comedy Web Series

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Delpa Gival (Patrick Delieto)
Echo Base CO
Echo Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Side Arm Reply with quote

I recently aquired a Blaster for my X-Wing costume. I am sorry I did not have it for trooping at CC this year. I am proud to be in the Hawkbat squardron. It wont happen again.
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to be sorry, I am just passionate about arming pilots Wink There is no requirement, despite my wishing lol.

what did you pick up? always interested in the weapons choices lol Smile

Blackstar Squadron
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed meeds to start the NRA for costumers! Wink

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start it? Hell, I need to revive it. Remember, there was a time when I used to arm Most of the RL. lol I have had to build over a hundred Solo Type Blasters (resin copies of all 4 OT Blasters and then custom configurations) More then a few DH-17s, both Leia Blasters, then Custom blasters as well, including my Bryar pistol that I had up till I lift the legion. I believe someone in the legion still owns that beauty now.

Blackstar Squadron
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know im not in the Hawk bats but can you count me as a temporary visitor flying in from the uks 1138th Krayt Squadron...good to see ya Ed mate....!

I have always carried a Solo blaster for my pilot....had 3 resin ones....very nice custome pieces...broke them all.

I recently converted a replica Mauser which has a real look and feel and weight that if anyone picks it up the first comment is that it definately isnt a toy with a sound card. Im so pleased with it....makes the blaster an integral piece of my cossie and adds weight to the authenticity of it. Sure its heavier but you just cant beat it.

Wink

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: