About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dff96a5acd3c965d3ffbb6cc4bdc83b8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jaguar's Wookie Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaguar ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Jaguar's Wookie Thread Reply with quote

Okay guys. Newb here looking to go Wookie. I have been reading, researching, and bookmarking like a fiend, but I don't know where to start. Can you offer advice on prioritizing my build? Where did you start? What took the most time? What should I save for last?

I am relatively new to costuming but I do have latch hook experience and a whole lot of desire. I am 6'3 and I plan to use stilts. The mask scares me the most as I have never worked with plaster or sculpted anything before. The Wookster (Ben) is somewhat local to me and we have been talking a bit on Facebook, but his mask is different than what I have seen here and on makingwookie.co/uk.

Any mask advice is appreciated as well. Thanks.

Chris (but there's already a Chris here so call me Jaguar)
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would, and did start with the stilts. Until you have those, you can't really make the suit so I would think working from the ground up is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually looking at the mesh first, but it makes sense to get the stilts for proper fitment of the mesh suit. Speaking of mesh, I know that everyone recommends Collins Cottage but they are out of stock on black. I have read about buying white and dyeing the mesh, but I found some other mesh that I think could work, and I wanted opinions.

The recommended Collins Cottage mesh is aquatic mesh. I did some digging and found "Polyester Dive Mesh" from SeattleFabrics.com which I think is the same thing.

Collin's: http://www.collinscottage.com/utilitya.htm
Seattle's: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html#Dive Mesh

Here's a pic of that mesh I found.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same. If you have a JoAnn Fabrics nearby, check there. I got mine on clearance a couple weeks ago.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Trap Joe under skull and I know a few others here have his kit also. Although I prefer to have my own cast, it will do for now.

Some time in the near future, I plan on doing my own sculpt when things slow down a bit for me.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fabric looks exactly like what I got from Collins Cottage, I think it will work well for you. I also agree with the comments about the stilts. Until you get a height it is really hard to start making the suit. It seems to me like the first fe months were all about collecting materials (hair, fabric, stilts etc) you might also want to consider making a hackle while you are collecting your materials it was invaluable to me when it came to hair blending.

I am in the same area as Ben too and I am nearing the end of my project . So if you need any help don't hesitate to ask, I would have never made it this far without all the help I got on this site and I would jump at the opportunity to help someone else and keep the good will going. It is also looking like I might have a good amount of hair left over. (especially #1, #44 and $27) If you have trouble finding what you need let me know

@ Ben, keep us posted if you do a sculpt. I am pretty sure that is in my future as well but I am not exactly sure when.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Jaguar's Wookie Thread Reply with quote

jaguar4523 wrote:
Any mask advice is appreciated as well. Thanks.

BTW I bougth the same kit as Ben. It is a beautiful piece of workmanship but I still had to tear it apart and make a bunch of adjustments so that it would fit me properly. I have to wonder if it would have been that much harder to have made one from scratch that was custom fit to me.

I got a lot of advice about just making my own from scratch and if you have the time I would probably give it a try. I was very intimidated by the process and that is the reason I went with a kit. On the other end of the project it doesn't seem so intimidating.

Just my 2 cents
Jaguar ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sam for the advice and for the offer of assistance. I'd be willing to try the custom plaster route but I don't know what I am doing. Do you know anyone who has experience with it? The only tutorial that I could find was on the making wookie site. Also, would you be willing to assist with the whole live casting plaster thing? Maybe we could do it all together and make a day of it.

http://www.makingwookie.co.uk/mask.htm
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaguar4523 wrote:
Do you know anyone who has experience with it? The only tutorial that I could find was on the making wookie site.

There is some information on life casting in the tutorials section of this page as well http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18217

I don't know of anyone in the area how has done a life cast but many of the wookiees on this page did there own mask so I am sure we can get advice here and if you and Ben want to meet up for a day of life casting I would be in
Jaguar ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited for clarity.

I have a quick question on stilts.

The Skywalker and Dura-Stilts that everyone seems to be using post a weight limit of 225 pounds. Let's just say that I weigh more than that. I called Dura Stilts and they said that the concern is the spring. They make a heavy duty spring but there are no guarantees there either.

The only stilts that I have found with a higher limit are these ProSeries stilts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026SUHHA?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325 and I can't find any reviews or information on them.

I am not the biggest trooper around, but I also don't want my stilts breaking down in the middle of a parade route. Does anyone (that weighs over the recommended limit) have experience using Skywalker or Dura stilts? Has anyone ever used these ProSeries stilts? Are monster boots my only other option?

Last edited by Jaguar () on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, when i click on your link, they say:

450 Pound Total Weight Limit
225 pound Weight Limit Per Stilt

So you can load 225 pounds on each stilt, and 450 pounds if you use both (what you probably will do).

I assume you misunderstood the given limit, or are you over 450 pounds?

Have a nice day,
Michael
Jaguar ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if what I said was confusing. I meant that I see Skywalker stilts, Dura stilts, Pentagon, and others rated at a 225 lb total weight. I called Dura Stilts and they verified that number.

The only stilts that I could find that supported more weight were the ones I linked to. However those are rather mysterious since there are no reviews or testimonials to their use.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not exceed 225 on your stilts. Yes, the stilts combined can handle 450 lbs but only when you are standing still. When you are walking most or all of your weight will be on one stilt or the other.

That being said, before I got in shape (cycling and eating right) I weighed a whopping 260 lbs and regularly wore the stilts for about 2 years before I started losing weight.

For many, costuming has been a great motivator for getting in shape.
Jaguar ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. I found 7" monster/KISS boots on eBay. Those plus 3" lifts would put me at 7 feet. With the mask I could/should be 7'3 or so. That seems short to me, but it should be sufficient don't you think?
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 7'2 and I tower over the other troopers. There is a guy in the So-Cal RL that's only 6'3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: