About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ac79e803e1f23a1f9553f15ce138c48fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Alliance officer items from RFT?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Alliance officer items from RFT? Reply with quote

Reporting in with a question!

As my project "Fleet Trooper" came to a halt (helmet problem!), I had the idea of using several RFT items for an Alliance officer costume.

Would it be possible to use:
- the blue RFT shirt (costumebase)
- the brown belt with octagonal buckle (without boxes&holster)
- the black RFT boots OR black jedi (riding) boots
- some black pilot gauntlets from my A-wing pilot
for the officer costume?

From my point of view those items would fit quite well...
What do you think?
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to see your shirt. It's more of a dress shirt, and I've found I wanted to starch the collar to make it look more crisp.

Belt should be fine.

It really depends on the boots, the riding ones should be ok.

Gloves should be allright.

If there's anything you need, let us know and we'll see if we can steer you in the right direction.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on what costume you are thinging about, and if you want "Formal" approval.

The "Captain Antilles" uniform has a brown colored shirt (same pattern at the RFT) and has brown riding style boots. The only things that would be useable from an RFT are the helmet and belt/holster.

I have a miniature from the WOTC series marked "Rebel Captain" with the "Antilles" tan jacket, tan pants w/black stripe (not brown), RFT blue shirt, black jackboots, and RFT helmet.

http://www.vesivus.com/swminis/BH_010_Rebel_Captain.htm

Would be nice, change the jacket and pants on an RFT and we have another costume. We would have to find two other sources - comic book, video game, etc. to approve it.

UPDATE - Just checked Article II of the Charter. Depending on how that section is interpeted, it coud be that only Expanded Universe costumes require 3 sources. Quote:

"Formal: Formal is defined as a costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, or Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) as it would appear in those materials. "

Note that "Expanded Universe" is listed seperately from "Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.)". This is further amplified by imposing the "3 sources" rule to "Expanded Universe" specifically:

"Applicants submitting costumes for any Expanded Universe costume must also submit three (3) LFL licensed sources for the character/costume, in order for it to be considered Formal."
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It also depends on what costume you are thinging about, and if you want "Formal" approval.

I´m thinking about the "General Madine" style uniform, and I´d like to get it formal.

But before going on I have to look for a suitable brown/ tan fabric.
First I thought of buying tan trousers and finding a similar color fabric for the jacket, but now I think it´s better to sew both parts with the same fabric...
The shirt colour has to "cooperate" with the tan, so maybe I also will have to find a new one if the RFT colour doesn´t fit.
Looking....
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going to Walmart, grabbing a set of dickies and walking over to the fabric department to find a bolt of fabric to match.

I'd suggest getting a dress shirt for the blue undershirt. The collars just sit nicer.

The officer tunic is really similar to a Endor trooper shirt. The sleeves are the same, it just snaps in the middle, has pleated pockets on the sleeves, and doesn't have the padding on the chest.

If there's anything we can help with, let us know and we'll see what we can do.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - got it!

It looks like the vest/tunic collar line is high enough so you could use either an RFT shirt or a "regular" shirt of a similar color.

The deleted scenes on the blu-ray have him doing most of the Ackbar lines - "It's a trap" - in the motorized chair, so we should get a good view of the boots.

Unless another judge overrules me, I'll give provisional OK to use Pilot Gauntlets. RFT belt as well.

Most likely, the wardrobe department would re-use as much stuff as they can to keep costs down.
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so far, gentlemen!
I will report in my next steps...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Bragg wrote:

Unless another judge overrules me, I'll give provisional OK to use Pilot Gauntlets. RFT belt as well.

I only own one pair or black gloves. So unless there's something amiss with your gloves, you should be ok.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the idea to do the same thing (convert a RFT to a Madine) for a while. I look forward to how this turns out.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay.

Just checked the Blu-Ray. Madine is wearing brown riding boots. You can see then clearly as the "command chair" moves across the set. Brown, and you can see the curve up the back of calf and then as it narrows at the top of the boot.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the riding boots like those worn by Capt. Antilles in ANH?
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Madine is wearing brown riding boots.

Thanks for that info!
So I´ll do a "generic" Alliance officer instead as I only have black boots...I hope I´m able to look for the right fabric sometime!
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word from the blu-ray if the other Alliance officers are wearing brown boots as well?

Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it seems that the left officer wears brown and a little higher, Antilles-like boots and the right one wears black, RFT-like boots! Thats weird!
That would make both variations possible...

But maybe my eyes are clouded by the dark side...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible the "antilles" boots were still in the Elstree wardrobe. Fabric from "The Ten Commandments" was used in costumes for "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"!. Costumes weren't "sacred heirlooms" back then, they got put back into storage for the next production to reuse. That is until they realized they could make big $$$$ selling them at auction. Laughing

Hate to "ruin the magic" for anyone, but they were not that particular in the OT wardrobe - Famous Examples: Rank Bars on the wrong side of the tunics in ESB, Luke's helmet markings change during the DS dogfight.

Brown and black boots? The most probable explanation is "Grab a pair of boots outta the box that fit, and be on Stage 9 by 7am. NEXT!" Laughing

Unless you are doing a "period piece" like "Saving Private Ryan" (where they went back to the WW2 boot manufacturers and found the original molds for the boot soles to make reproductions) or "Gettysburg" (the reenactors brought their own accurate uniforms, muskets, tents, cannons, saddles, etc.), they (directors, wardrobe supervisors, etc.) really aren't that particular on how the extras are dressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: