About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e29b75db5b2b51891b653c4917b63b93Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gone Wookie - Torment's Tarfull **Full pics page 8**
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great Jason.....

Chewy Layers snow to print
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate them all so far. This is such a time consuming thing that this motivates me!
darth marcus ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love ya man! Laughing
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am still working away at this thing. I have to keep reinventing the wheel at every turn. This has been an amazingly challenging project that I have loved from beginning till now. Even when it frustrates the crap out of me its still an awesome project. I have been working on the head and I am in the home stretch now. All that is really left on the head is the main part of the face and believe it or not thats the easiest part of all of the face. The rest of the head presents more of a challenge due to gravity. I have been talking with Marty Miller, one of the best Chewie costumers I have seen from Carida and he has been working me through some of my mental blocks.

To face the gravity challenge I have been using contact cement. It should help cut down grooming on a majority as the hair is glued in place. There will inevitably be the random flay aways and such, but Im working on that as each troop comes. The head is gonna be heavy with the dreads and the hair. Alot heavier than I would have guessed. Unlike others who have used a mask, the dreds prevented me from doing that. SOOOOOO, it has a fiberglass head with a lot of hair on it. The whole face is dragonskin and has to be hand punched. Im going to guess millions of hairs have been used thus far and 1000's have been hand punched. Its a really slow process doing only a few hours a night, but I think it the end its gonna be worth it.

So here a two pics. One shows a frontal shot and the other has a profile...

Enjoy...

Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another little update...

Now all i have is the mustache, lower cheeks, then its grooming and airbrushing time to get the details in. I seriously can not wait to get this thing off the kitchen island and neither can my fiance. I think we are gonna go out to dinner just to celebrate its leaving the island. LOL/
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill post up more tonight, but im on the home stretch. The shirt is the last part of this build. I can see the end in sight now!

Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason....Looking Awesome! You've built all kinds of clone suites, but this is the best build by far!

Former BSN Admid.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know. At one Point Gree was like my pride and Joy. That project took me 6 months, and I was thinking I could never find a project more daunting than that was. Then I took on this project. Holy cow.

Ill be honest when I say, I am not sure if its Tarfful or not. I think its pretty close, but I am one of my own worst critics. If its not deamed good enough for Tarfful, I think it should me good enough for a generic wookie at least. LOL I took a Vader dome an put it on top of the wookie head. It sat on it like a top hat. You know, I just didnt realize how big these things can be. I was gonna put on my pants boots and head tonight. But I think I am coming down with a cold and just feel like crap so I will probably do that in a day or so when Im feeling a bit better.
Marcus ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see some pics man. Good job, either way Tarfful or not it's a great wookie.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great, cant wait to see updated photos.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I have made some progress on this and I can see the home stretch coming in my sights. I had the shirt made for me on wednesday. Alison, my fiance, does all my sewing. However as good as she is, she hates making sleeves for shirts. She just has some sort of major block on them. So we had to come up with something that would get around her issue. Well instead of a normal style shirt, we went with a baseball style shirt. So on this kind of shirt the seams are not over the shoulders and I think makes for a better flow in regards to the hair. Of course I am only speculating, but it seems like it would be a good way to go over the traditional T. I have it as a magnetic clip up the back. This way I can slip the shirt on with out having to pull it over my head. Should make dressing a bit easier. Of course I will have to be dressed, but nearly every costume I have ever built requires me to have a ton of help.

Here is the top of the shirt...

Then since Thursday and on Friday I got to latching big time....

The last thing on my list to do is then head over to the salon. A buddy hooked me up with a hair stylist who is going to do the trimming and shaping to the suit while I wear it. Ideally this should give me a uniform look over the body. If I have to go back and add to it after the fact it should be no worries, but I thought that it should work out in my favor.

Right now I am probing my mind about wookie hands. I am thinking about making my own hands from scratch. I have some chimpanzee hands, but really they only are fingers. I may use those finger parts and add to them and make custom gloves. Im playing it out in my mind for now, but real wookie hands are something that I think is the one thing really missing out there.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time...

Finished the chest and back and now I am working on the arms. I started the left forearm. I am quite happy except when I level my arm witht he floor it seems like I get a bare seam line down the top of my arm exposing the mesh. Is this something common or should I add more hair. I nearly have latched every loop on the arm so I dunno what I should do, or even if I should. I dont believe I will level my arm like that so much, but if I can fix it I want to do it now. Here is a super fuzzy pic in the bathroom mirror. I am wearing a chimpanzee costume glove I found on line. I think Im gonna remove the fingers and cast them onto a glove that will act as a full sized hand.

nierfherder (Shad Thomas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good man! Much better than looking at the pic on my phone LOL!

I like the idea for the hands.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment wrote:
Update time...

Finished the chest and back and now I am working on the arms. I started the left forearm. I am quite happy except when I level my arm witht he floor it seems like I get a bare seam line down the top of my arm exposing the mesh. Is this something common or should I add more hair. I nearly have latched every loop on the arm so I dunno what I should do, or even if I should. I dont believe I will level my arm like that so much, but if I can fix it I want to do it now. Here is a super fuzzy pic in the bathroom mirror. I am wearing a chimpanzee costume glove I found on line. I think Im gonna remove the fingers and cast them onto a glove that will act as a full sized hand.

I had the same problem before and believe it or not...trimming some of the hairs short (I mean 4 to 5 inches) will help conceal the mesh.
But be careful not to trim too much.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these gloves from www.morphstore, they are brilliant!

The fingers are foam latex attached to a spandex glove, I normally coat the hand with liquid latex and then paint them black with pax paint.

It would save you a lot of hardship trying to cast your own, ideally they need to be foam otherwise they pucker a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: