About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=96e1c5238d470a1a96bdb5bbaed1b5ecMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ESB - Han Solos "Hoth-Version" DL44
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: ESB - Han Solos "Hoth-Version" DL44 Reply with quote

We all know that the people usually build the "Bespin-Version", the "Hoth" seems to be very rare - maybe cause itīs mount is not as easy made as on the "Bespin".

But ........ in the last time i had done some pieces over and over again, so i wanted to try something new - i measured some pics, made a sketch, grabbed some material ... and started. Wink

Some first cuts in metal later, the contour was milled:

After that i found three M3 bolts, just the right size:

Made the disc

With a threaded rod on the backside

(But of course it could have also been a flat disc that only covers a sunken head bolt in the scope mount)

And a disc as a spacer between gun and mount

The completed mount, with drilled holes, cutout and mounted scope

Then cutting the three M3 threads, and assembling the disc to the mount

the rear side

And with added spacer

And assembled on one of my test bed Denix (for drilling holes and testing stuff without any hesitations of damaging a rare MGC-Mauser)

(I used a older, already existing hole. On the final gun the mount will be placed some few milimeters higher.)

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week the MGC for this baby arrived

The one and only damage (not counting some dirt/dust) are these scratches

No idea how that happened to a gun in such a great condition.

The best is the mechanical state of it, nothing sloppy as if it was toyed around. Every moving part feels as if it was never moved before.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i had the flu for some days, so there was a little delay after unpacking the beauty.

But finally i got something done. Smile

Drilling the 6mm hole for the central bolt, then using a 6mm allen bolt to center the mount and fasten it. That way itīs pretty easy to drill the hole for the adjusting bolt through all parts in one workstep.

Then tapping the small hole with M3

It works

Making a counterbore, to have the alu-disk completly flat, later

Assembling and adjusting the parts

Screwing in the adjusting bolt

Then pulling the allen-bolt out, and unscrewing the 3 small bolts - the putting the alu-disc in and fasten it with the 3 small bolts.

Then putting a nut inside the mag on the central 6mm thread

And filing it down, to get the needed space to keep the mag/spring working

Done - scopemount mounted

Next step - mounting the machined pistons

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carefully measuring and marking the places to drill the needed holes.

I made the holes with the cross-table, but this way is easier to show. Wink

Test fit

After that the greeblies were painted, and finally assembled. Followed by some weathering

Putting on the scope - itīs one of TK 4702s superb brasspowder revalorized resin scopes. A great product for a really nice price.

The bolts are wrong, but atm. i canīt make more accurate ones, cause i recently sold my lathe. But they will be replaced as soon as i have the new/bigger lathe. Cool Same story with the flashhider.

Next step is making the greeblies, and painting the alu-disc (but iīve still no good idea how to achieve a accurate look).

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the fun - a family-pic with some of itīs brothers. :happy

Have a nice day,
Michael
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply said:

GREAT!

Nothing more to add... cheerleader
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami Dai wrote:
Simply said:

GREAT!

Nothing more to add... cheerleader

Thanks a lot, Sir. Very Happy

Have a nice day,
Michael
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say... you make the best blasters....if you ever become a member... you could make a nice penny or two on the boards. I know I would hire you!

Amazing work!

Uber! Laughing
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the nice compliment, Rob, i really appreciate it. Very Happy

But iīm afraid i can never become a reg. member of the RL, due to itīs rules.

So all i can do is to try to awaken a necessity for as nice as possible blasters ("see it, want it, neeeeeeed it" Wink ), to get the members to try on their own to strive for the next/a higher level.

Have a nice day,
Michael
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:

But iīm afraid i can never become a reg. member of the RL, due to itīs rules.

What rule is holding you up? If its of a personal matter you can text me... no pressure.

Bob
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geht mich zwar nichts an,
ABER NEUGIERIG BIN ICH TROTZDEM!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Nur um es gesagt zu haben....

Itīs not my business, but Iīm curious anyway!
Just to mention this...
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, itīs nothing problematic, nothing funny, nothing slanderous - just different point of views.

To be a member, you need to have a formal costume.

But, there is no formal costume iīm interested in for wearing it myself. In my younger years i would have loved to "be" Han, he is still my favourite character, but iīm not that skinny/haggard anymore as needed to make it look good. Iīm not fat, well, i have got a belly over the years but also more shoulders ..... think of it as a bulldozer. Wink And as iīm no fan of "not suiting" appearance (fat Jedi, round Han, blond Leias,........) the only Han costume i would make is a accurate sized one for a mannequin, not one i could wear.

Sure, i could make a cheap one (Rebel Trooper, for example), shoot some pics, get a approval - and then store it as deep as possible forever in the basement, and doing my own thing. But that would be ridicouluos.

We have here in my part of Germany no high level Lucas Events, to be honest in this part are not any events - so there are only the few occasions every 1-2 years left, Cons or something that way. And i donīt see me going SW-costumed to a Anime or Star Trek event.

Another thing iīm no fan from is the effect of to much "always the same Facecharacters" - iīm missing the rest of a galaxy far away. There is no problem with having a dozen Stormies at one event, or even a dozen Chewieīs (as they look always different enough in size and appearance to display a dozen generiv Wookies .. even if all are intended as "the" Chewie), but a dozen Han or Leias donīt work for me.

If i would be totally free to make a costume....... it would needs some elements i could identify myself with, not really me, but ....
Iīve been airborne/paratrooper while on duty, so a former stormtrooper which left service would be a nice hommage - as a fringe character, not neccessary a gunslinger or headhunter, maybe more security/hired guard. With some stormtrooper armorparts (shoulderbells, forearms, Utility-belt - something that way) to get recognition value. Just a average fringe character noone would be surprised to see in any cheap cantina in the outer rim, or the lower levels of Coruscant.

You see my dilemma? Wink

Have a nice day,
Michael
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand!
Well, we also donīt have that many events here, but when Iīm on one of those I like to wear both of my costumes. Problem is that NO ONE knows the A-wing pilot (even SW fans donīt recognize it!), so my Jedi was made to solve this problem - EVERYONE knows a jedi!
Right now I work on a RFT costume, but I have to wait until next spring for finishing it. This will be my 3rd and last "formal" costume.
THEN I will do something you would probably like - a "informal" generic smuggler with some nice background story, a lot of real military style equipment and comfortable cloths - just for me!
So, I used the "formal" way to come to the "informal" thing that represents "strictly myself"...
Remember the short barrel blaster....?
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
JediKevM24 ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Question on the revell v8 piston part and the scope Reply with quote

I'm new to the Rebel Legion and frankly to this whole costume construction. I am starting a project on building a Han ESB blaster and having difficulty finding a stand alone Revell v8 piston piece, is there any sites where I can buy that stand alone part? Also I wanted to know what type of scope should I use for the blaster and where you got the red scope reticle? Sorry for asking so many questions.
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, iīm not sure what you mean with "stand alone Revell V8 piston piece". What they used were 2 half pistons from a Model kit, which they glued on the open end to each other. They were never sold seperate, only in the kit, so you need to find someone who is willing to sell 2 of his rare real ones (kit is no longer in production since some years)

Here some original ones, the greenish in the front are from one kit release, the silver ones in the rear from another - and the alu piece in the middle is a machined one i started making for a customer, lathe work is done, next is the milling:

The scope i use now is a real M19 (WW II Tankscope), the same they used in the movie. On that pic is a brass cold cast resin scope from a run a Stormtrooper did some time ago, the reticule was included. Itīs the best resin copy of a M19 i ever found - not sure if he still makes them.

But regular standard resin copys can be found, too. They should be around 20-25 for a good cast without the red reticule, maybe cheaper ones can be found, but i know nothing about their quality.

I hope that helps?

Have a nice day,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: