About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards
 

Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bf12f511289bef9453627ea771251039Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Finished Chewbacca:
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 5809

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookster wrote:

Patience is probably the first thing that comes to mind for advice I could give on this build. You have to stick with it no matter what. You will get frustrated many times but just imagine the outcome when your finished. Just don't rush, take your time. There are a lot of Wookiees on here (and I call them Wookiees because they don't resemble Chewbacca, even tho they call it "Chewbacca") people put a lot of effort into this build but when they get to the mask build portion, everything went wrong for them. I could only assume they rushed the mask and didn't do their homework. You could ask for peoples help here but I tried and was ignored for some reason. That just pissed me off and I wanted even more for my Chewie to turn out better. Funny, this is supposed to be a Wookiee forum where we're supposed to help each other out???? I got zero help.



You have got to be kidding me. I went back to your build thread and saw absolutely no questions for help... I cannot read minds, and a bit upset that you are treating other wookiees on these boards with such comments. Many of us would have been more than happy to help you in any way possible... if you just ask.

You have a nice suit... but that does not give you the right to blast people who worked hard on their costume!

I think you owe a few of us an apology...
_________________
RL Han Solo Archive and information
Han Archive via Photbucket
My Holster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1351
Location: Kashyyyk
Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookster wrote:
There are a lot of Wookiees on here (and I call them Wookiees because they don't resemble Chewbacca, even tho they call it "Chewbacca") people put a lot of effort into this build but when they get to the mask build portion, everything went wrong for them. I could only assume they rushed the mask and didn't do their homework. You could ask for peoples help here but I tried and was ignored for some reason. That just pissed me off and I wanted even more for my Chewie to turn out better. Funny, this is supposed to be a Wookiee forum where we're supposed to help each other out???? I got zero help.


Excuse me?????
I don't see any threads where you are asking for help. I saw one where you posted some progress, but never asked for any advice or help. If I missed something somewhere, please post it up.

Also, it is extremely bad form to post up and critisize people's work. You put together a WONDERFUL looking Chewbacca. It truly does look great! Congrats and be proud. However, don't come in here and start ripping other people for not having a costume that is up to "your standards." I for one, spent 5 months of almost constant work putting my Chewie together. Is it totally resembling Chewie - nope. Are there several that are better than mine - yes there are. However, I am not a professional prop builder and when I put my costume together, I had NEVER done anything even remotely close to this. So while it may not be the best out there, I am VERY proud of how it turned out. Am I working on improvements - of course, but most everyone in this hobby is.
So on behalf of all the "Wookiees" out there (whether I'm one of them or not) I will thank you to keep your blanket opinions to yourself unless you are planning on offering advice or helping people with things yourself.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 134
Location: San Diego, CA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougie Fett wrote:
The Wookster wrote:
Fuzzball wrote:
Wow man, I looked at you photos on flicker. Nice job ! You Mask and everything else turned out awesome ! I'm thinking about starting this. I hope I'm up to it. Any words of advice?


Patience is probably the first thing that comes to mind for advice I could give on this build. You have to stick with it no matter what. You will get frustrated many times but just imagine the outcome when your finished. Just don't rush, take your time. There are a lot of Wookiees on here (and I call them Wookiees because they don't resemble Chewbacca, even tho they call it "Chewbacca") people put a lot of effort into this build but when they get to the mask build portion, everything went wrong for them. I could only assume they rushed the mask and didn't do their homework. You could ask for peoples help here but I tried and was ignored for some reason. That just pissed me off and I wanted even more for my Chewie to turn out better. Funny, this is supposed to be a Wookiee forum where we're supposed to help each other out???? I got zero help.


It's up to you to read the numerous wookiee threads here and take what you need from them, do you really need to be spoon fed??? I have looked at your posts and not once did you ask for help.

And not to critisize other peoples work, you didn't even sculpt the mask/underskull yourself which is ultimately the hardest part of the whole wookiee build process so you got away lightly in my opinion. And while Trap Joes mask is a good one, it certainly isn't without it's faults!!


First of all Dave, I NEVER claimed that i made the underskull! you asked me in another thread who's it was and i replied that it was Jorg's. I seem to remember you getting all pissy when I asked you way back how come you were charging $750 for the skull when another maker here was charging $150 to which you replied " if you don't like it, go buy Trap Joe's mask, his is inaccurate and more expensive" and you have the nerve to tell me not to criticize other peoples work?????

Second, I PM'd several people on here and on Facebook for help in which I got no replies.

and for the record, I didn't say your costumes looked bad, I said you put a lot of effort into the build but must have rushed the mask. Let's be honest here ( and I'm no prop builder either ) this is a tough costume to pull off, you have to sell people on the likeness of Chewbacca. The first thing people look at is the mask and I merely stated that I would of assumed that either you rushed it or didn't do your homework. I've had people pick apart my costume on other websites and it's called criticism and when you build a costume, you have to expect it good or bad. I'm sorry if some of you are offended, it was not my intention.


Last edited by The Wookster (Ben) on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 30 Mar 2001
Posts: 3803
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fringe Tutorials and the Chewbacca Costuming Resources page cover 95% of what you need to know. Many of the threads in this forum also have a lot of good information.

As others have already pointed out, no one recalls you asking for help. Others ask for help here all the time and get their questions answered. I recall there was some login difficulty or you had two accounts or something.

Doug, are you sure his mask is the Trap Joe kit?
_________________
Chewbacca Costuming Resources | Chewbacca Costume Guide (under construction)
Matt Pfingsten - Film & Video Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 134
Location: San Diego, CA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use the tutorials and there was a wealth of information. My questions were more on the technical side which I didn't find. I should of mentioned that I PM'd people so you wouldn't assume I posted a "Help" thread.

Yes Matt, my underskull is a Trap Joe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
The Fringe Tutorials and the Chewbacca Costuming Resources

Doug, are you sure his mask is the Trap Joe kit?


Yes, I did recognise it as being a Trap Joe (Jorg) mask and Ben did confirm that on the RPF.

Ben, all I was trying to state was that you obviously bought a kit because you recognised the fact that it was a difficult task to make your own, this is why it dissapoints me that you would diss other peoples work.
_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 134
Location: San Diego, CA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember you getting all pissy when I asked you way back how come you were charging $850 for the skull when another makers here was charging $150 to which you replied " if you don't like it, go buy Trap Joe's mask, his is inaccurate and more expensive"

and you have the nerve to tell me not to criticize other peoples work?????

and for your information dude, I was a tight time schedule to finish this suit for an event or I certainly would of made my own. believe me, it's not that difficult.


Last edited by The Wookster (Ben) on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 30 Mar 2001
Posts: 3803
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookster wrote:
First of all Dave, I NEVER claimed that i made the underskull! you asked me in another post who's it was and i replied that it was Jorg's.

Your bragging about your costume and putting others down when the key component was actually built by someone else. You imply that others did not work hard enough or they would have better results, yet you put even less work into the suit then any of them.

I once met a Vader costumer who claimed to be the "Best Vader in the entire 501st" and proceeded to bash many other Vader's costumers (this occurred the first and only time I met him in person). I asked him how he had made it, he told me what I already knew: everything was made by someone else.

I've been a member here for 10 years, and in that time I've met many people with that kind of attitude. Invariably the parts that require talent and experience were built by someone else. People who scratch-build everything themselves and have the experience and talent to do it are always very humble and polite. They don't brag because they don't have to. Their work speaks for itself (and their friends brag on their behalf).

The body suit is not terribly difficult to make (just time consuming) in large part because so many others figured it out for you. Way back when I was first starting my first Wookiee no one knew about the latch hook hair suit method. I built half a suit using hot glue before I stumbled upon that. And many others have refined that over the years, learning how much hair to use per knot, how dense your knots should be, how to blow dry the hair, how to hackle it for the just the right color, etc.

The Wookster wrote:
Second, I PM'd several people on here and on Facebook for help.

No one else has any had any trouble getting help on their costumes, Ben, just you. When one person in 20 is having trouble, it seems to me that one guy is doing something wrong.
Do you really think that everyone is being mean?

You are clearly in the wrong on both counts. People here can take criticism/feedback, but your rude and insulting tone and "poor me" mentality are childish at best.
_________________
Chewbacca Costuming Resources | Chewbacca Costume Guide (under construction)
Matt Pfingsten - Film & Video Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookster wrote:
I seem to remember you getting all pissy when I asked you way back how come you were charging $850 for the skull when another makers here was charging $150 to which you replied " if you don't like it, go buy Trap Joe's mask, his is inaccurate and more expensive"

and you have the nerve to tell me not to criticize other peoples work?????

I was a time schedule to finish this suit for an event or I certainly wold of made my own.


Just checking back, my exact words were "Or u could ask Trap Joe over on the RPF, but I think his is more expensive than mine".

I quoted you $750 for a complete head not just an underskull, I apologise if you thought different! $750 for a underskull is ridiculous.
_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also there is a huge difference between constructive critisism and dissing peoples work.

And also a huge difference between PMs and posting on public forums!!
_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobalt60
Guest







PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neiloneil wrote:
any chance on a tutorial on mask/teeth etc?? lead by example Very Happy loved all the pics tho man..


QFT. if you think there's not enough help on the forum, then step up to the plate Wink
"pass on what you have learned" Yoda 1

you did a great job, even without 'help' ..



..but something tells me, you probably read a few tutorials on here, am I right? you probably read a few build-threads, no? --> that was 'help' too. that's how we help. we provide tutorials and build threads, even when we don't check PM's. the purpose of these forums is to build a database of 'help' so you can peruse it at your leisure. and I think you probably did a bit of that, no? so.. it's probably not quite fair to say you got no help.. help is for the taking.

(and if "results" mean ANYTHING.. I'd say you got what help you needed. Wink
it turned out great. there's no need to be bitter over "help", with results like that. just saying).
Back to top
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 134
Location: San Diego, CA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
The Wookster wrote:
First of all Dave, I NEVER claimed that i made the underskull! you asked me in another post who's it was and i replied that it was Jorg's.

Your bragging about your costume and putting others down when the key component was actually built by someone else. You imply that others did not work hard enough or they would have better results, yet you put even less work into the suit then any of them.

I once met a Vader costumer who claimed to be the "Best Vader in the entire 501st" and proceeded to bash many other Vader's costumers (this occurred the first and only time I met him in person). I asked him how he had made it, he told me what I already knew: everything was made by someone else.

I've been a member here for 10 years, and in that time I've met many people with that kind of attitude. Invariably the parts that require talent and experience were built by someone else. People who scratch-build everything themselves and have the experience and talent to do it are always very humble and polite. They don't brag because they don't have to. Their work speaks for itself (and their friends brag on their behalf).

The body suit is not terribly difficult to make (just time consuming) in large part because so many others figured it out for you. Way back when I was first starting my first Wookiee no one knew about the latch hook hair suit method. I built half a suit using hot glue before I stumbled upon that. And many others have refined that over the years, learning how much hair to use per knot, how dense your knots should be, how to blow dry the hair, how to hackle it for the just the right color, etc.

The Wookster wrote:
Second, I PM'd several people on here and on Facebook for help.

No one else has any had any trouble getting help on their costumes, Ben, just you. When one person in 20 is having trouble, it seems to me that one guy is doing something wrong.
Do you really think that everyone is being mean?

You are clearly in the wrong on both counts. People here can take criticism/feedback, but your rude and insulting tone and "poor me" mentality are childish at best.


Okay, I see where this is going. You can bash me all you want even though I apologized.

but since you want to crack on me.. for someone who has been in this community for ten years and who gives advise on how to build a Wookiee costume, I'd expect their suit to look better than a Rubies costume.

I'd bet 95% of people here bought a skull from someone else, there's no shame in that.

Don't bother posting anything else, I'm not going to read it. I just closed this account.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 30 Mar 2001
Posts: 3803
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookster wrote:
Okay, I see where this is going. You can bash me all you want even though I apologized.

You edited your apology into an earlier post. I didn't see it until you mentioned it.

The Wookster wrote:
but since you want to crack on me.. for someone who has been in this community for ten years and who gives advise on how to build a Wookiee costume, I'd expect their suit to look better than a Rubies costume.

Right, and everyone is being mean to you. Trust me, plenty of people here can take criticism. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
And yes, I know my Chewie isn't the best. I am working on a new one. You have to make mistakes in order to learn. It's easy to stand on the shoulders of me, Duck, Marty, Doug, Bob, and so many others and claim

The Wookster wrote:
I'd bet 95% of people here bought a skull from someone else, there's no shame in that.

There's one other guy with a Trap Joe and a few people with Duck's kit. No, most people here built their own masks. This is not the 501st.
Furthermore, no one said there was anything wrong with going the kit route. We don't look down on Chris or any of the other Wookiees with mask kits.

The Wookster wrote:
Don't bother posting anything else, I'm not going to read it. I just closed this account.

I would have expected nothing less.

You seem to have a problem mis-interpreting everything people say. Doug's recommendation of Trap Joe's kit was pretty strait forward, but you thought he was blasting you. Others have repeatedly explained that their problem with you is your attitude, not your criticism.
_________________
Chewbacca Costuming Resources | Chewbacca Costume Guide (under construction)
Matt Pfingsten - Film & Video Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 5809

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookster wrote:
GotWookiee wrote:
The Wookster wrote:
First of all Dave, I NEVER claimed that i made the underskull! you asked me in another post who's it was and i replied that it was Jorg's.

Your bragging about your costume and putting others down when the key component was actually built by someone else. You imply that others did not work hard enough or they would have better results, yet you put even less work into the suit then any of them.

I once met a Vader costumer who claimed to be the "Best Vader in the entire 501st" and proceeded to bash many other Vader's costumers (this occurred the first and only time I met him in person). I asked him how he had made it, he told me what I already knew: everything was made by someone else.

I've been a member here for 10 years, and in that time I've met many people with that kind of attitude. Invariably the parts that require talent and experience were built by someone else. People who scratch-build everything themselves and have the experience and talent to do it are always very humble and polite. They don't brag because they don't have to. Their work speaks for itself (and their friends brag on their behalf).

The body suit is not terribly difficult to make (just time consuming) in large part because so many others figured it out for you. Way back when I was first starting my first Wookiee no one knew about the latch hook hair suit method. I built half a suit using hot glue before I stumbled upon that. And many others have refined that over the years, learning how much hair to use per knot, how dense your knots should be, how to blow dry the hair, how to hackle it for the just the right color, etc.

The Wookster wrote:
Second, I PM'd several people on here and on Facebook for help.

No one else has any had any trouble getting help on their costumes, Ben, just you. When one person in 20 is having trouble, it seems to me that one guy is doing something wrong.
Do you really think that everyone is being mean?

You are clearly in the wrong on both counts. People here can take criticism/feedback, but your rude and insulting tone and "poor me" mentality are childish at best.


Okay, I see where this is going. You can bash me all you want even though I apologized.

but since you want to crack on me.. for someone who has been in this community for ten years and who gives advise on how to build a Wookiee costume, I'd expect their suit to look better than a Rubies costume.

I'd bet 95% of people here bought a skull from someone else, there's no shame in that.

Don't bother posting anything else, I'm not going to read it. I just closed this account.


You have a wonderful costume... that is true. I am not sure where you will troop if you are not trooping with the RL though. You need to get along with these people or you will find yourself playing ball by yourself.

Ok... we are done here! I am locking this thread...
_________________
RL Han Solo Archive and information
Han Archive via Photbucket
My Holster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group