About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=55752a2e44bbe32c9be7b8e4d169d49cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tell Jabba That I've Got His Money.. (My ANH Han Solo Build)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Tell Jabba That I've Got His Money.. (My ANH Han Solo Build) Reply with quote

Hey, hey everyone!

I've been planning to do a Han costume for about two years now but I've gotten distracted over and over by lots of other things (Mainly other costumes Razz).
Though I've finally got my butt into gear and I'm going full steam ahead and going to bang this out before Armageddon Melbourne next month which is one of our bigger conventions we have down here in Australia every year.

So anyway, remember how I said I've been planning to do this costume for about two years? Well, about this time of year back in 2009 I got my first piece of the puzzle, a Han ANH DL-44 kit from Doopy Doos which I immediately put together and painted:

The kit, straight out of the box:

Assembled and painted:

I may go back and fix it up a bit eventually, I think I jumped the gun a bit (no pun intended Razz) and weathered it too much when looking at screencaps afterwoods and seeing little to no weathering on screen.

Soon after I got some really nice surplus Soviet officer riding boots off ebay that looked pretty much identical to Han's German officer boots for around $86 I think it was.
Around that time I also bought the fabrics I needed like black twill for the vest with some black poplin to line it with, a navy denim for the pants and a nice off-white linen for the shirt.

Here's my fabrics with my boots:

I then got side-tracked with building a Stormtrooper and joining up with the 501st. You could say I've already got a Han costume because I built a Hero Stormtrooper Suit based almost entirely off references from Han's Hero suit with details right down to his uneven number of tube-stripes on the helmet. Rolling Eyes

Since I want to get this costume ready for approval within a few weeks I'm going to start by completing a 'Post Trash Compactor Han' since there's now way I could make a proper belt rig up and I already have the Stormtrooper belt.

Here's my TK belt with E-11 and also my three holed belt I got earlier on in the year which still needs to have the middle prong removed:

Also, note how I have the button on the right side of the TK belt removable. I made it this way because when you see Han wearing this belt after the Trash Compactor scene the button has been knocked off showing the exposed rivet underneath. (Yes, I pay THAT much attention to detail! Very Happy)

So anyway, let's move on to where I'm at now after two days of getting back into the build:

So to start with...The Bloodstripes!

I started by following SoloYT1300's tutorial on hand embroiding them.

I measured all my stripes on strips of the fabric I'm using for my pants as you can see here:

But before I wanted to spend the many hours embroiding all the red bloodstripes by hand, I thought I'd see what I could get done with a normal sewing machine. I did a test on a little swatch of the fabric by putting the machine on zig zag stitch, setting my stitch length to 0.1 and stitch width as high as it could go. At its widest it turned out being exactly 1/4 of an inch thick, exactly what I wanted for the bloodstripes!
I've used this method before to add embroidered lines to things so I was so glad when my tests turned out so well.

Here's a close up of my little tester I did:

So that's what I had done up until last night. Tonight I got one whole strip of bloodstripes done in a couple of hours, and that was with getting up and doing other things every few stripes I did.

Here's a close up of the work in progress:

And here's how it turned out:

I just need to trim all the excess thread and hopefully the puckering in the fabric will be smoothed out once I press them and sew them onto the pants when I get onto making them.

That's where I'm at so far, I have a fair bit of free time this weekend so hopefully I can get lots done over the next few days so look out for more updates!

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, I never even though about trying it with my sewing machine, pretty much use that stitch to reinforce certain parts of costumes, never thought about applying it to the blood stripes. Glad that worked out
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far!
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proper blood stripes Dance Chewie

awesome mate.

We will watch his progress with great interest. Very Happy

jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're off to a great start! Glad you decided to take the plunge.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Very Happy

So I got a fair bit of the pants done tonight though its after 2am so I thought I'd better stop, post up an update and go to bed. Laughing

So I finished off my last strip of Bloodstripes to start with and trimmed the excess thread off:

Then I cut out all my pieces for the pants using a standard pants pattern I've had for ages that I re-use and modify for whatever I'm making with it.
I then marked out where I wanted the riding seam to go, tested it out by pinning first, then when I was happy with its shape I cut it out:

Then I sewed the riding seam pieces together:

After that was done I then folded the the front pieces in half and then pressed with an iron then sewed over the fold making the pin tucks.

Next I stitched the back and front pieces together on the outside seam and then added the bloodstripes over the top:

Once that was all done I then sewed them together at the inseam and then attached the two legs together which is where I'm currently at.

Front:

Back:

Tomorrow I'll do the fly and waistband+belt loops and that should be the pants finished and then hopefully get started on the shirt!
Very Happy

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost looks like your blood stripes are not long enough down the pant leg... or is that just the picture?
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really good, except, yeah, it looks like the stripes are going to be too short to go down into your boots...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I measured it all before I even embroided the bloodstipes.
They go about a third of the way down my calf so there's about 10-12 stripes that go below my boot.

The picture does look a bit decieving but that's probably because the back seams and front/fly arent put in yet plus I havn't taken them up at the bottom of the legs yet
So it looks a lot wider and longer than it will end up being but when trying them on with boots it's all looking good so far:

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I see what you mean... looking much better!
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! I'm jealous of your sewing ability.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too envy your sewing ability...my costumes would come a lot faster and less expensively if I could master that art. Looks great so far, keep up the good work and keep posting on your progress. I'll be watching with interest.

Brian
Panda Bear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap now i gotta really make sure Leia is done for Armageddon this year Confused , looking good there Zac Cool Smile
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can sew, you just need to practice lots just like with everything else!
I'm self taught and I'm still learning new techniques with every costume I make Razz.

So here's quick update, the pants are pretty much done!

Here's a front and back pic with the belt on making sure I made the belt loops the right size (and yes, I still need to remove the middle prong on the buckle. Smile).

I might take the inseams in just a tad more, mostly around the ankles but I'll get the other bits of the costume done first then see how it all looks together and adjust accordingly.

Plan for tomorrow is to get a start on the shirt so I'll update again once there's some progress done on that. Very Happy

Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget stirrups!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: