About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2f68818241bb76b9bef3344006e6cef5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Jedi (I hope!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Rogue Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: New Jedi (I hope!) Reply with quote

Hey everybody! New member here, I've been lurking for a few months now ever since hearing about you at the 4th of July parade here in Provo. Well, for years I've been preparing a Jedi costume and it's almost ready! I just got the Kit Fisto FX lightsaber, which was the last piece I needed for my ensemble - I wanted a good, generic background lightsaber and this thing is a BEAUTY. I have the boots, the outfit, the complete belt -- I have a question though before I submit!

See, my outfit is all earth tones, but the tunic/tabbards are an earthy gray color. They ARE earth tones, just raw, stony gray earth tones, lol. Is that OK? My character is a DISTINCTLY OT Jedi, but I really, really wanted the basic parts of the outfit in gray; I have since I was a kid and I made up this character. Do you think it will pass? All the other parts (pants, robe, under-tunic) are in browns and tans. How severe are they with the color standards? I don't have pictures yet I'm taking them later this week.

Other than that I'm really excited for my costume. My dad does professional tayloring so it's a gorgeous costume, regardless of the colors -- all rich, thick materials layered to perfection, plus GREAT boots and the utopia base belt. I'm a school-teacher/university student so I get to wear it a lot, and now that I finally have a worthy lightsaber I figured this was the next step! I don't know much about how things work here, but if you guys can guide me through the beginning I'd love to be a part of what you guys do, and I'm excited to learn more!

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."

Last edited by Tag Aldeggon () on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wraith (Jill Hatch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard.. I am sure our temple master can clarify the costume standards for you Very Happy Hopefully you'll be well on your way to approval soon Very Happy

Firewind Squadron CO and Northern Utah Captain
JainaSoloFel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm admittedly not an expert on the Jedi standards, but I'm sure some of our more experienced Jedi can give you pointers. If it won't work, you might consider putting together a second costume as formal (or swap out the gray parts on this one), and then submit this one as an informal. That way it's still on your profile and exactly the way you want it. Informal would still let you troop most events. Welcome to the boards, we're happy to see you Very Happy

ETA: You may also want to check on the Jedi forums, as the LCJ's (Legion Costume Judges) will sometimes chime in on those threads.
LostSkywalker (Christopher Blair)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Temple subject matter expects here! =D

Okay, Jedi attire colors. I'll address both sects so we get them both out of the way.

Prequel: This is an fine line, since during last year, the color range was narrowed into being specifically shades of brown for generic Old Republic Prequel Jedi...which honestly is not the definition of earth tones, but that's what standards from command say until otherwise revised. It used to merely be tones that occur in nature, but as of May last year, it's been specified to natural shades of brown.

Classic and beyond: If you're going for a NEW Republic Jedi(meaning the classic Trilogy and beyond in the timeline), you should be good, there's a lot more freedom there. Allowed colors include grays, blacks, reds, it's pretty much natural colors, just nothing bright and obnoxious like pink or neon shades. The main restriction in costume really for color in accessories is no red lightsabers, as, even though hero characters have owned Red sabers, the Legion ruling is that Red is Dark Side only to avoid confusion
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting some pictures of your stuff will help us see what you might need to change or what is spot on.
ionicdesign (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, do post or email me some pictures and we could make sure all is in order. We're always glad to have more Jedi. Ben

I would need to see the context but gray is probably fine for a New Republic Jedi. The major hangup color wise is black or bright colors on Old Republic Jedi. A lot of other things are fine so long as it isn't too far out there.

I'm excited to see pictures, thanks.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostSkywalker wrote:
One of the Temple subject matter expects here! =D

So what should we expect from the subject matter? I'm confused... Smile

I just want to say welcome to the Base and the Temple. I agree with the others, pictures will make all the difference.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your counsel! Everything else about the costume is strictly OT -- covertech lightsaber clip, green prequal-era lightsaber, tan pants and undertunic, brown robe -- besides that, the grays are warmer and earthier than Zett Jukassa's costume on-screen, whose costume was done in entirely cool shades of gray. Face character/shmace character - gray is an earth tone! Razz

I hope once I get my pictures taken you can all see what I'm talking about. As I formally dislike the EU, and thus, the "New Republic" take on things, I really, REALLY want my costume passed off as OT. Expect some pictures in the next few days!

You have all been SO kind and helpful to me, by the way. I really appreciate that! I look forward to being a part of events soon, as there is always a shortage of good Jedi. Isn't that always the way of things, though?

Ben

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."

Last edited by Tag Aldeggon () on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Mr. (Master?) Iconic Design, I assume you are in the upper levels of this organization, so could I just e-mail you the pictures when I have them? How do I find your e-mail? I'm still not sure about the process of getting anything approved in these parts; there's more bureaucracy here than in the third season of Clone Wars ... Rolling Eyes
ionicdesign (Michael)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tag Aldeggon wrote:
Oh, and Mr. (Master?) Iconic Design, I assume you are in the upper levels of this organization, so could I just e-mail you the pictures when I have them? How do I find your e-mail? I'm still not sure about the process of getting anything approved in these parts; there's more bureaucracy here than in the third season of Clone Wars ... Rolling Eyes

LOL, certainly, pm sent. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you great ionic one (I promise I won't mess that up again) - PM replied to!

I'm really excited about this; hopefully my pictures can be up soon so you can all see what I've been working on! We definitely need more generic OT Jedi here, and I'm excited to contribute. At last I can find places to wear this thing besides just during Halloween! After working on it for 3 years I should hope to use it more often than that. rebelbird
LostSkywalker (Christopher Blair)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question; You say OT Jedi. Are you meaning the Prequels, or the Original movies, because your statement of using a covertech would imply a Prequel Trilogy(PT) Jedi, not an Original Trilogy(OT) Jedi who use d-ring hooks, and are considered New Republic. I think you have your terminology flipped, which is possibly leading to some confusion on which style of Jedi you're intending to make for your costume.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a keen eye makes a keen catch. I meant to distinguish my character from New Republic affiliations by using the term OT as a blanket term when I ought to have said "canon" or "PT." Forgive!

I shall be explicit: my character is a Prequal-era Jedi Knight, specifically around episodes II and III (technically he would blend in best with episode II Jedi). He has a covertech clip, a prequal-era clan lightsaber, and happens to wear a warm gray tunic/tabbard ensemble set against tans and browns.

Sorry, I know pictures will clear this all right up, but for now pardon my loose application of the terminology; I know how precise Star Wars fans like to be. Smile
ionicdesign (Michael)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, thanks for clarifying. Glad to have you here.
Rogue Base CO
Rogue Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough talk . . . lets see some pics!

But seriously, welcome aboard. Don't fret too much about if your costume meet the standards first time around. If I can tell you one thing is that every costume is always a work in progress, even those of us who have been approved. But don't worry, we'll get you there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Rogue Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: