About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9d92eb9ce178149c0aa0d0594fefa0ddMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo gloves pics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Squadron Leader ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Han Solo gloves pics? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any good pictures of Han's ANH gloves?

Thanks! Very Happy
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will the pics I posted in the archives of use.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19539

http://s590.photobucket.com/albums/ss350/SoloYT1300/ANH%20Han/ANH%20Han%20Gloves/
Blue Squadron Leader ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know what color they are? Are they a dirtied yellow or a brownish color?
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cognac color:

Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Magnoli Clothiers and they are perfect fit.

I highly recommend them.

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/falcon-gloves-p-271.html

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you specify that you want the Cognac color, not dark brown if you order now. I ordered a set from them just last month and even though they have the correct color picture on their website, what you get when you order is something else.

I sent mine back and still have yet to receive the correct ones five weeks later. The owner said he was getting another run done, but still hasn't received them yet. This means I won't get them for at least another 2 - 3 weeks. You might want to wait until I get mine just to confirm you're not wasting your time and money. I don't mind being the guinea pig...

Very Happy
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you do have to let him know you want cognac.

Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BSL,

I agree that the only viable source for the ANH gloves currently is Magnoli Clothiers. They are not perfect to the film, but they are the best option out there.

As far as color, I really believe that they are a dirtied yellow as opposed to the cognac color. The gloves seen on display mannequins are clearly the cognac version, however, I do not believe that these are "screen-accurate" versions of the gloves.

Here is a photo of my yellow/black version of the Magnoli gloves; the left hand version is weathered, the one on the right is not.

[img]
Han Solo Gloves by bri457, on Flickr

If you take the gloves the way they are shipped, the yellow looks far too pronounced; it looks like a bumblebee. However, if you weather them appropriately, they look much closer to the movie version.

As nice as these gloves are, it may seem a shame to dirty them up with weathering; but what are you really paying $80.00 for? Really nice driving gloves, or Han's Falcon gloves?

IMO, Han used these for utilitarian purposes, ie: to work on his ship. They should be dirty, and making them dirty makes them look much more accurate to the film.

Based upon my observations, I really think that the yellow/black combination is the most accurate to the film, if weathered properly. Even still, Magnoli's gloves are not completely correct.

In the end, it depends on your own point of view. When I watch the movie, the gloves look more yellow than cognac, but I can't say what you see. Go with your own instinct, either way you should be OK.

Good luck with your build,

Brian
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's got the Blu-Ray? I think that might help to clear up the color issue.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havok69 wrote:

doubtful that a color issue will ever be cleared up. Just look at the Hoth parka if you want to see about color issues never being clear...
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
Havok69 wrote:

doubtful that a color issue will ever be cleared up. Just look at the Hoth parka if you want to see about color issues never being clear...

I love these discussions...lol. I think we need to consider a few things about the gloves...

They are impossible to get the originals, the original gloves I believe were bus vintage driving gloves... very limited at the time... not mass produced.

The gloves on display like many things... IE droid caller. Are not the ones used in the movie, but are an example of things Han used... just not 100% correct. The gloves that Magnolia are the best gloves out there right now, and its been around 8 years since anyone has tried to make them otherwise. When he made the gloves he based them on all the photos I sent him.... so its partially my fault. I sent him archieve pics as well as movie stills.

Making gloves are not the easiest thing to do, so in my situation I can deal with the color discrepencies because the image I am going for is still there. Which works for me... till I find something better.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess either one could work, However the yellow would definitely have to be weathered quite a bit. The original new color of Magnoli's yellow gloves is way too bright.

But again, if you order from Magnoli you definitely want to confirm what you're getting if you go the Cognac route, as I got dark brown when I ordered from him a month ago.

You know, the more I dig through the screen caps and video, I think you're right about the weathered yellow as being the most screen accurate. I'm going to stick with Cognac for mine however as they will be seeing double duty; I'll use them as driving gloves to get some realistic wear on them, and I'll also use them for the costume.
Blue Squadron Leader ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on using the yellow as actual work gloves around the shop and car to dirty them up.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Squadron Leader wrote:
I was planning on using the yellow as actual work gloves around the shop and car to dirty them up.

The leather used in these gloves if very thin, you may not want to use them for any heavy duty work. I use mine in the winter time as driving gloves too! They are great for that.

Charter Committee
Blue Squadron Leader ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wish they werent $75
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: