Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=64c8bb69ded9ec2f9ae073d2cb5b839bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Dragon*Con 2012 - August 31st - September 3rd, 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (3)

(1)

(0)

User Registered Confirmed
Lady Jedi CarenixWed Sep 07, 2011 5:52 am
MnlymnFri Sep 16, 2011 6:10 pmFri Sep 16, 2011 6:11 pm
GotWookieeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:20 pm
fleet_trooperSat Mar 17, 2012 2:53 am
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Dragon*Con 2012 - August 31st - September 3rd, 2012 Reply with quote

*hits the reset button on the clock*

Okay, Dragon*Con 2011 is over...

...which means 359 days to Dragon*Con 2012 (I think).

I know that Celebration VI is the weekend before Dragon*Con, but if I had to choose one con, I'd choose Dragon*Con. I've been to Celebrations before, and the idea of Florida in August holds very little appeal to me (though I do admit that if I could do both, I probably would).

To reiterate information from last year:

If you haven't seen the documentary "Four Days at Dragon*Con," try Googling it and see if its still being shown online at PBS (for free!). It's an excellent documentary and explains quite well the reasons that people go to Dragon*Con (except for the massive consumption of alcohol; the documentary is rated "G" so it doesn't go into the night life that is most certainly not general audiences friendly Evil or Very Mad ).

Membership is ~$70 (unless it goes up again this year Rolling Eyes Razz ) You can get $5 off if doing a group membership (10 memberships mailed in the same envelope or faxed in together at the same time), but you can't get a refund for your membership so if you buy early and can't go, you're out the money unless you transfer the membership to someone else (this year they didn't allow for at the door transfers because of the new system, so I'm not sure if they will allow transfers for 2012 or if they're dropping the policy, as many conventions don't allow for refunds or transfers).

Flight to Atlanta, GA is ~$200-$300. Southwest starts flying to Atlanta February 2012 so that's two bags fly free, which can help keep the cost of the flight down (2011 I did get a good deal on a flight but spent $40 to check a bag; total cost was still under $300).

Hotel cost when shared with others is ~$200. It's easier to budget more for the room and then get a refund back than it is to say the room is less and end up needing to collect more.

Membership + flight + hotel + a little spending money/food money = ~$600

Last year I didn't include spending money in the calculation so the basic cost of just getting to Dragon*Con is ~$500 (assuming that you find a cheap flight). This time around I'm adding ~$100 to the planning budget for food/spending money.

Putting aside $50 for 12 months (starting this month and ending August 2012) = Dragon*Con 2012

They do offer snacks and munchies in the con suite in the Hyatt all four days of the convention, so you literally could survive on water, soda, chips, salsa, and pretzels (sometimes they have Subway, other real foods, just have to time it right) for the weekend if you have no money for food. The Hyatt also connects to the food court of a mall so there are lots of low cost food options available.

I'm starting to seriously consider getting a hotel room starting on Wednesday to get to Atlanta early (Thursday is an unofficial preview night) and then spend the day Thursday actually seeing something in Atlanta because each year I've gone to Dragon*Con I've never gone much beyond the host hotels. This will depend on where my budget is standing in the next couple of months. If D*Con 2012 isn't in the cards for me I'll know it soon but I'd rather start the ball rolling for planning now since I have friends who go and I can help find people a room/roommates should the worst case scenario unfold and I can't go.

"Curiosity has gotten me into trouble all my life." -Aischros, Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

*Cricket, Cricket*
Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reminder that membership is $60 until midnight tonight (EST), September 16th. Price goes up to $70 after that.

I am trying to figure out a way to do both conventions (C6 and D*C) next year since they are close in time and locations. Having said that, I've taken my first step by buying a 2012 D*C Membership at the lowest price. Cross your fingers for me! Shocked
RL Trading Card: Series 1, Number 44
RL Trading Card: Series 3, Number 137

"I feel the need...the need for Rebellion!"
fleet_trooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: dragon Reply with quote

Sweet! Glad to here it buddy Smile
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Mike!

I also grabbed my membership at $60 so I won't be trying to organize a group rate this year. I'd suggest people plan on paying $70 for their membership before November 15, 2011. I've purchased my membership online through the Dragon*Con store without any problems twice now, so I do recommend it (save on postage, don't have to worry about your membership form getting lost in the mail):

http://store.dragoncon.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=613

Also, the transfer policy is still in effect, but the difference this year is that you have to file for the transfer 30 days before the con (so end of July 2012 is the deadline for transfers; previous cons I believe they allowed transfers at the door, but now that they've updated their system to read barcodes instead of signing off in a book so they need the information sooner rather than at the door). Membership information is posted here:

http://www.dragoncon.org/members.php#DC_Memb

Here's the math for Dragon*Con saving and suggested target dates for membership purchase, air fare, and hotel:

Each month, add $50 to Dragon*Con fund (preferably at the beginning of the month):

September: $50

October: $100

November: $150 - $70(membership) = $80

December: $130

January 2012: $180

February: $230

March: $280

April: $330-(plane fare, average $250)=$80

May: $130

June: $180

July: $230

August: $280 - (hotel, ~$200) = $80

Like last year, if you're not on target or at least close to purchasing your air fare in April, you're probably not going to make it. Granted, you don't *have* to purchase your air fare as soon as they go on sale, but in the event of a flash sale, it's a lot easier to purchase at a lower fare when you have the money in hand.

"Curiosity has gotten me into trouble all my life." -Aischros, Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

*Cricket, Cricket*
thatsMISTERwookiee (Jack Smith)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnlymn wrote:
I am trying to figure out a way to do both conventions (C6 and D*C) next year since they are close in time and locations. :

Depending upon finances, I'm also thinking along the same lines. Hit C6 the first weekend, attend Dragon Con the second weekend, and the days between the two, hit Disney World and Universal Studios.

Should make for an extraordinary two weeks. Cool

Here's hoping the financing comes through. Wink
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatsMISTERwookiee wrote:
Mnlymn wrote:
I am trying to figure out a way to do both conventions (C6 and D*C) next year since they are close in time and locations. :

Depending upon finances, I'm also thinking along the same lines. Hit C6 the first weekend, attend Dragon Con the second weekend, and the days between the two, hit Disney World and Universal Studios.

Should make for an extraordinary two weeks. Cool

Here's hoping the financing comes through. Wink

W00T! Cool Sounds like a fabulous vacation plan to me. Very Happy Hope it works out. Smile I'm hoping that D*Con 2012 will be a bit less hectic since this year was the 25th anniversary (so lots of people in lines Surprised ; I spent a good amount of time watching panels on Dragon*Con TV to avoid the lines Very Happy).

*Cricket, Cricket*
fleet_trooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: dragon Reply with quote

Just bought my 2012 membership for dragon con woo hoo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: