About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3a824b40b84cbb8bfe98fdd6febb333dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Khepry - Base CO Answers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Benelux Base -> Benelux Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamScottFM (Erich Shafer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Khepry - Base CO Answers Reply with quote

This thread is for Khepry's answers to Base Member questions. Only they may post in it. Other candidates wishing to respond to answers need to copy and paste from this thread into their own thread.

"Do they teach you to throw?"
"No, they teach us to cheat!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Khepry (Jan Wilms)
Benelux Base CO
Benelux Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello happy campers!

Let me start off with expressing my gratitude for the confidence of those who've nominated me Smile
I'm normally not a writer of booklengths of text when it comes to answering questions, but I'll try to be thorough

1. 2011 - 2012 ... what's on your mind, are there points you want to work out? (From Stijn)

I have too much on my mind really :p (just kidding)

As you know (since you're the XO), we've been talking about introducing some more structure into the base.
I'd like us to work that out for sure. In my opinion, this would mean more meetings per year with our SC's and other officers.
These meetings would handle ongoing issues (not that we have real issues), events, who does what, etc ...
I know we span a large area and 3 different countries, so these could take place on different locations, taking travel into account.
I don't plan to do these on my own ... we're a team and there's no "I" in "team" or "Benelux Base" for that matter ...
I think restructuring is something we do as a whole Base, so if I were to become the new CO, I'm always open to new input or ideas. I won't bite.

I also think relations between bases and other clubs should be tightened. Be it RL or 501st, we're all fans and share the same passion.
The more we get along, the more people we'll see at events, which in my book means more fun :p I think a lot of people in our Base feel the same way ...

Concerning events ... we need more people at these things! I'm going to try to encourage people to encourage people. Cause a cascade of activity, wouldn't that be nice Very Happy
We also need to look towards expanding. In my opinion, this is something to be careful about since not everyone shares our view of fun...

I hope this covers this very open question ...

2. 2012 = 5 Years Benelux Base ... do we something special? (By Stijn)

5 years IS an anniversary, of course. I would very much like to do something with a bunch of people (not solely our members). I have no clue what or when though.
This would involve a lot of planning in my opinion and thus more than 1 man/woman to set it up.

we could also do an anniversary patch run or something special Smile you only turn 5 once, a perfect time for collector edition stuff. I hope our designers and merch-officers feel the same.

3. What's the most important aspect of Rebel Legion for you? (By Master Jevaho)

I don't think I can put a finger on 1 single thing.
For me the legion is gathering people who share the same passion and hobby. Events are important in the way that they tend to bring these people together easier than let's say, for lunch?
I don't think there's an incredible animosity between any of us ... not from my side anyway.
I've already made a great deal of friends through the Legion and I hope this number will only increase.
Keeping everything spic and span is important too (costuming standards) I think ...

4. -The RLB covers a large area. Belgium and the Netherlands. Now we see that Dutch members don't often come to Belgium and vice versa.
How will you try to stimulate members to visit more events across the border? Because now we see very often events cancelled because we have to few attendees.
(By Ariel)
5. Most of our members are not very active, how do you plan on making them more active? (By Ariel)

I think this is about the same thing so I'll answer these as one.
More than one member has shown that borders can be crossed (and go through great lenghts to do so). Personally, I always propose people drive with me (prove me wrong here).
Spanning three countries is a challenge indeed. If it fits my agenda, I'll be anywhere, people who know me, can vouch for that. But that's just me.
I'll be in the Netherlands in a week for an event ... I'll set an example Very Happy
Transportation will always be an issue until beaming technology is invented. Till then, we should share cars and fuel costs. It's what we do outside the Legion too...
The few attendees issue is bound to the active member issue in my opinion. What more can we do than contact people by newsletters, e-mail, facebook, sms, phone? We notice some members
just not responding to any attemp of contact ...

6. Building a RLB prop for the booth at events ... (By Steve)

I'm all for it! The first step in decorating was already made by making the flags we had last year.
However, being realistic... props (and building them) is costly, and we're still an origanisation of volunteers. I can very well imagine me putting down money with some other members to build or buy something for the base ...
This provided we agree it will become base property, not someone's property. Storage is also always an issue, so that's where the "not too big" comes in Smile
But yes, I would very much like to see that happen.

7. Do you have intentions on working together with the 501st legion, and if so, what will be your strategy in regards of the 501st legion in your following year as CO? (By Arcturus)

As far as I know we already have a good understanding with the 501st legion. I'm not totally up to speed on the current going of things, but I can absolutely see us working together.
The more the merrier Smile
As for practical things, I think agreements should be crystal clear to both parties ... As you know, rules exist about territory and such. But they can also work in everyone's advantage...

8. Puck has a point. I rejoin her but also about South Belgium's people (the situation is even worse over there...). (By Am Kin Roy)

This is a follow up to the question by puck, but on the other side of my house Smile
I know the Southern Garrison is a very active one. Since we appointed yourself as liaison towards this part of our base, I think communication has increased.
This in most part of the incredibly fast translations and messaging. I'm personally embarassed to say my french is worthless, making it very hard for me to personally communicate with the members in the South.
For this reason I try to pick a common ground, being English, which I hope, helps.
As to increase the activity, can we get nl-fr speaking pairs at events in multilingual regions maybe? This increases communication between the audience and ourselves. As for distances, The Netherlands are mostly more in distance for most, except for me :p

I think that's about all I can say at this late hour. if you want to push through on anything, don't hesitate. or talk to me personally on msn, facebook or gtalk Smile
Benelux Base CO
Benelux Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9. What kind of events do you want to focus on? (By Ariel)

This is a hard one in my opinion. I don't know if we have to focus on a "kind" of events ... what are the different kinds anyway ...
I think events are generally picked on experience. Which means you mostly accept events and see how they go (if they are feasible).
You're still doing them for the fun of it. If that isn't the case the Legion not going to stay your hobby/passion forever.
On the experience note, I feel the group going to the event must have an added value to that event as whole if it is combined with other areas of interest.
It doesn't feel like fun if you're frowned upon, but that's my experience and my opinion.

10. When we get an invitation for an event, how will you handle it?
for example, what are the criteria to accept it, who will do the communications with the event?
(By Ariel)

I think up till now the handling of events has been done by the people who "found" these events or the CO or XO.
(this is the situation as is, as far as I know and I could be wrong)
I really don't know if that's the way to go... Since not everything is shared in a central place (or person) things are probably going to get lost, misunderstandings rise and so on and so forth.
I think some structural changes have to be made to address eventhandling. I think this isn't something that should be decided by one single person ... so for that I would very much like input from the members who DO have experience handling events.
Maybe we can learn something from a befriended club that has this figured out in a better and more efficient way?
About criteria, you can't say yes to someone unless you have people who have time and are willing to go ... Which again, comes down to motivating members
And also, like I said in the previous answer, we need to fit in, in some way. Clones don't really fit into a civil war reenactment, do they Smile
Benelux Base CO
Benelux Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11. Why do you think you would be a really good CO? What can you personnally bring compared to the other years? (by Meggyra)

Your English isn't bad Meg Smile
I'm going to answer this as one question if you don't mind ...

First of all I don't KNOW I'll be the perfect CO, but I will always try my best. This is a function I have not filled in in any point of my life before, so it will be a new experience for me. I'm not the quitting kind of guy Smile So, do I think I'll be a good CO? I'm going to try my best to keep things going.
I already know I'll have an excellent team of people to get me going and to back me up.

As far as bringing new things to the table goes ... I'm a new guy in the office, so I'll have some other points of view and maybe some fresh ideas.
I'll try to keep in touch with you guys, providing you want to answer to my calls :p

I hope this answers those questions Smile
Benelux Base CO
Benelux Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the Q&A is at it's end Smile
I hope you all got answers that were sufficient to your questions.

see you at the next meeting (be it an event or get-together)

and PLEASE don't forget to vote in the coming days

May the Force be with you,

Jan -Khepry- Wilms
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Benelux Base -> Benelux Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: