Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5937e5d7d4e0cb998c1da4711995184bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

X-Wing gear, best way to start??? :-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.marlinfan ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: X-Wing gear, best way to start??? :-) Reply with quote

When beginning making the X-Wing costume, what is the best/first thing to do with it? Like is best to start with the flight suit, accessories, helmet, etc? There is a lot that goes into making it. Just trying to learn what is the best starting point? If $$$ was not an issue then I'd just go crazy with it. But gotta do this on a budget, like most everyone else.

Also what are other Pilots stories on how they began?

Thanks Very Happy Very Happy
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're trapped by a budget you need to figure out how to work with that budget of course. So do you piecemeal parts or do you save up and buy a bunch at once. Only you can decide.

I'd say the key places to start with are the flightsuit & flack vest, boots, & probably gloves. Those are pretty independent of each other. Then there's the chestbox...

You can also work on getting your hands on the little stuff like a comm pad, leg flares, belt flares, arm tools. But what you really can't do until you get the other parts is the belt, the ejection harness, and the leg flare holder because those all kinda require you to have the flightsuit and the boots to make properly to fit.

The last thing you need to worry about is the helmet, but unless you're going for a face character right off the bat, you don't need a helmet for admission.
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like jim said ..helmet LAST. its not needed for admission as of now.. one of our pilots still doesnt have one.

of course thats the first thing I bought Laughing

other than that, whatever you can afford at the time I would say..

I can make the code cylinders, I make em out of bolts, nuts, and washers.. so they are a little heavy.. but they work..
when you get closer to finishing, I would be happy to pass a set on to you..

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
s.marlinfan ()

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Flightsuit & vest does sound like the most logical starting point. Then add on from there. Sort of like you gotta start with the foundation before you can build the rest of a house.

Ha, ha it's totally understandable wanting to go for the helmet first since that is probably the coolest part of it all. But think I'll wait for the helmet right now. But I don't plan on joining until it's all complete with helmet. The great thing I've learned about the helmet is that you can customize the designs on it to almost anything as long as it is fits the "Star Wars look". Pilot

Crix thanks for the offer on the cylinders. When I get that far I just might have to take you up on the offer. Just have to let me know the $$$ for them.

What would be the best resource on getting the flighsuit & vest from? I know there will have to be some alterations after you get them. I checked on Ebay but just don't what to trust. Since I'm a beginner with this I don't want to go waste $$$ on non legit things that don't pass code for the Legion.

As far as the blaster goes I know the two that are OK'ed for the suit are the Han Solo Blaster and the Rebel Fleet Trooper. Sorry I don't know the actual blaster model names off the top of my head. Which is sort of preferred? I'm leaning toward the Han Solo one.

Very Happy Very Happy
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must of us have costumeBase(on ebay) flight suit.. but they can be hit or miss..
the sizes are all over the place, the zipper is crap(sooner or later you got to replace it)... but as far as I know they are the cheapest and it comes with the flak vest(which needs to be altered).

there are others.. but I dont own any of them, so I cant comment on them..
check ebay. "x-wing costume"
if you find one you like.. copy it and post here. I am sure we could tell you if it would pass or not.

this is what is required..
"Orange flightsuit with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab, code cylinder pocket on upper-middle left arm, rectangular pocket with a flap closure on upper-middle right arm, comm pad pocket on outside of left forearm above wrist, and thigh pockets (upper set required, lower set optional). No visible zippers or snaps. "

this is the link for pilot standards..
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8851

for the code cylinders.. no charge. its a gift, dosent really cost me much at all. most of it I already have.

for the blaster.. that is not part of the standards, it something we add on after..
I have the Rebel fleet blaster, jim has a "solo" blaster, Robert has something custom..
so whatever.. but dont include it in your application pictures. you add it later.

also, start going thought the "Rebel Pilots" thread.. lots of good info there
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

s.marlinfan ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Crix for the cylinder offer. I really appreciate it. When it's that time we can talk about it. Very Happy Very Happy

Did some looking around on Ebay as far as the flightsuit and vest goes. I also read some on the Rebel Pilots link on the Legion boards to see various feedback.

Costume Base items

Flightsuit, vest, with chest box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Wing-Pilot-Jumpsuit-Chest-Box-Star-Wars-Costume-NEW-/360307490783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item92af489fe5

flightsuit with vest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Wing-Pilot-Jumpsuit-Vest-Uniform-Star-Wars-Costume-/150503104379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item68c6e05a15

Argentina worldwide custom props

Vest

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-X-Wing-Pilot-Flak-Vest-/180476070024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a05364888

flight suit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-X-Wing-Pilot-Jumpsuit-Costume-/130350004631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e59773997

You made mention most of you have the Costumebase one and they need some work to make it up to standard. I did read about the vest on the Rebel Pilot thread that the Custom Prop vest is good. Does it take an incredible amount of work to make the alterations on the Costumebase vest? Or would it be just as good to get the flightsuit from Costumebase and the vest from Custom Props? Sorry I know that's a bunch of questions all lumped into a paragraph there.

Also in regards to the costumebase chest box. Is it up to standard. I've also seen on the yahoo group board someone with chestboxes http://groups.yahoo.com/group/outlawsquadron/photos/album/1125633576/pic/list Looks lot's better than the costumebase one.

One more question and I'll hush for now, ha ha. With the Costumebase flightsuit(other than the bad zipper you said), does it hold up well under normal wear at events and in the washing machine? I'm sure it would be wash and let air dry thing.

Thanks for listening to my big bunch of questions. Hope to not wear out my welcome with all this, ha ha. :-) I'm sure I'm probably way over thinking this. Just want to make sure to be on the right page and hope to represent the Outlaw Squadron properly someday. :-)

Very Happy Very Happy
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.marlinfan wrote:

Costume Base items

Flightsuit, vest, with chest box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Wing-Pilot-Jumpsuit-Chest-Box-Star-Wars-Costume-NEW-/360307490783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item92af489fe5

from what I understand.. costume base chest box is crap.. not accepted at all. to many mods needed.

s.marlinfan wrote:
flightsuit with vest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Wing-Pilot-Jumpsuit-Vest-Uniform-Star-Wars-Costume-/150503104379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item68c6e05a15

I believe this is what most of us bought

s.marlinfan wrote:
Argentina worldwide custom props

Vest

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-X-Wing-Pilot-Flak-Vest-/180476070024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a05364888

flight suit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-X-Wing-Pilot-Jumpsuit-Costume-/130350004631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e59773997

I believe the flight suit and vest are right on the money.

as for the costumebase vest alterations.. schph gochi did mine, I dont think its alot of work, but I didnt do it Laughing I believe she has done almost all of ours..
hopefully she will comment on that..
to me the costume prop one looks better and maybe better quailty.
Jim(iam8114) might have one of those.. hopefully he will post here about it...

Quote:
Also in regards to the costumebase chest box. Is it up to standard. I've also seen on the yahoo group board someone with chestboxes http://groups.yahoo.com/group/outlawsquadron/photos/album/1125633576/pic/list Looks lot's better than the costumebase one.

costumebase chest is crap, I wouldnt get it.
there are a few members on the Rebel legion boards that sell em..
most of the outlaws have the same one..I am not sure who they bought it form..jedi mickey or Mr. Bojangles might. one of them had it $70 I think
the ones on the yahoo group, I think is from pilotstuff@hushmail.com
he has a for sale thread up with those boxes.. $90
Jim(iam8114) is my chest box expert..I'll let him talk about them
I got lucky when I bought mine bout 11 years ago.. I have no idea who made, found it on ebay..
hopefully he will comment on his chest box

Quote:
One more question and I'll hush for now, ha ha. With the Costumebase flightsuit(other than the bad zipper you said), does it hold up well under normal wear at events and in the washing machine? I'm sure it would be wash and let air dry thing.

I've had mine for almost 3 years. worn it bout 60 times so far.. seems to be holding up.. some of the velcro not working anymore, so got to replace that..some of the treading by the pockets is coming undone.. and of course the zipper... but other than the zipper, easy fixes. overall I am happy with mine. the worst thing is the sizes.. I got lucky, mine fits fine..but some have had problems.

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in Utah right now...but will be heading to the airport soon...

I can make all of the modifications to the Costume Base flightsuit for you...I have done so many of them...I have it down to a science.

I do agree that Costume Base flightsuit sizes are all over the place...

I have a black, orange AND gray CB flightsuit for various Rebel and Imperial costumes...
they are all the same size...
yet they all fit differently...

so..
it is definitely a crap shoot...
but...
for the money...I don't think you can beat it...

basic sewing skills can keep the suit in good working order for many years...
the fabric is a cotton/poly blend that is pretty sturdy..

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it all depends on what YOU want to do, and how anal you want to get with accuracy.

Costume base is fine and is good enough for acceptance but like Phyllis said, its a crap shoot on their stuff because its always different. I'm not a fan of their flack vests, but they can be made to look very good and that's what most of the squadron has.

Personally, I am a fan of the customprops suits and especially their flack vests. I have the flack vest and it is excellent and probably the best one you can buy, their suits are very accurate as well since they have all the small details most people don't notice or even know are supposed to be there, but most people won't know the difference between this and costumebase.

The only real drawback to the costumebase is that they lack the second set of leg pockets below the knee, which while not required for acceptance are highly suggested to have. We had to have the pockets made from an extra flightsuit I bought for ours, but I believe Phyllis has found that the newer flightsuits don't match the fabric we have.

As far as chestboxes go, you have a few options.

you have the costumebase which can be modified to be acceptbile but I really don't suggest it, overall its crap.

there's a kit from Ritchies Armor which is ok, but I believe overpriced.

Then there's the Mr. Bojangles box which is kind of expensive but it comes finished and is very accurate, but they come one set up.

Then there's a new seller that is making very accurate chest boxes that are made to for the various different versions for various characters which I am thrilled about because I'm anal, these also come finished and are slightly more expensive.

These last two also come with all the correct straps, clips, etc.

Do you know what you want to do? Are you going to make your own pilot or are you doing an existing character, or as we call it a face character?
s.marlinfan ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I really appreciate it. :-)

Well from what I've seen and the feedback. Looks like the best way to go is get the Costumebase flight suit and get it altered. I know yall are saying the sizes are all over the place. I'm a XL to XXL sized fellow depending on who makes what with clothes. So that being said do the sizes maybe run big, or is it just safer to go the XXL route and have it altered or would the XL usually accommodate it?

With the comments I see and the auctions I think I'll go with the Customprops flack vest. I think that would be the best combo due to balancing the cost/accuracy with the costume.

With the chestbox. I'll totally skip the crappy Costumebase one. I'll pay the extra bit to get the more accurate model with the right straps and such.

I'll be making my own pilot. There are enough folks representing Luke, Wedge, Biggs, Porkins, etc. fan wagon. Don't want to overload the wagon. :-) So I'll add some variety for it. I was thinking about it today. We love the Rebel Pilots, but other than Luke, Wedge, and a few others our characters are just cannon fodder in the films, ha ha. :-) Makes it even the more better. :-)

Just hoping I don't have to wait until next year to join the academy. :-) But will most likely still be moister farming and doing my chores in the south bay. :-(

Thanks all, yall are a wonderful help. :-)
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.marlinfan wrote:

Well from what I've seen and the feedback. Looks like the best way to go is get the Costumebase flight suit and get it altered. I know yall are saying the sizes are all over the place. I'm a XL to XXL sized fellow depending on who makes what with clothes. So that being said do the sizes maybe run big, or is it just safer to go the XXL route and have it altered or would the XL usually accommodate it?

you just dont know with CB..
Mine is a XL fits real nice.. Iam 6ft right around 190lbs..well maybe 200 now that I've been laid-off Embarassed ..anyway mine fits good.
I have a grey one for my imperial crew costume.. same size same design, same everthing.. its too tight. doesnt fit right at all.

I ordered a Large one for outlaw 9(he didnt have a way to order it at the time) and I put it next to mine, which is XL.. they are the exact same size.

tk118 over at MWG ordered a XL, me and him are close in size...hes slimmer.. he siad he was swimming in his.. couldnt even wear it..

another outlaw in progress cloudstrife7. bought CB also.. his didnt fit either.. I dont know what size he ordered. he sold his and went with someone else..

so the only good thing about CB is the price, and that it comes with a vest that can be fixed.
so if you can afford to pay more.. might be worth it. just my opinon Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: