About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=00e04bd430f878334673e9ac56b60dfaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jawa Shaman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Jawa Shaman? Reply with quote

I was talking to my fiancee about making a costume for her and one idea that came to mind was a Jawa Shaman. They are female "witch doctors" of the clan. It would obviously meet the current standards for a Formal Jawa, but I would like to know if adding a few things here or there would make it not approvable. Items like a small walking stick with greeblies on it similar to an ewok shaman, but much less ornate. Maybe a satchel with various items in it and a monk's cloth shawl. The only image of a shaman is of Aved Luun, and she looks similar to an ordinary Jawa but she appears to have several items around her waste that are slightly hidden by the camera angle.

The other items would be mear speculation as to what a Shaman might have based on other such species like the Ewoks.

The idea is that it would look like a obvious Jawa with subtle differences that would only make it stand out in a crowd of Jawas. I guess my main question is, would a Jawa Shaman be approvable, or would it simply have to be called an ordinary Jawa with lots of stuff?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
De Jawa Vu ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Party foul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mentioning ewoks in the same breath as the mighty JAWA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously a Jawa Shaman would be awesome. But comparisons to Ewok tribal gear is kind of a stretch due to origins and habitats.

Let me check my jawa resources and see if I can find more for you.

Remember JAWAS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Jawa Vu wrote:
Party foul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mentioning ewoks in the same breath as the mighty JAWA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously a Jawa Shaman would be awesome. But comparisons to Ewok tribal gear is kind of a stretch due to origins and habitats.

The comparison to a tribal society would be somewhat accurite because both Jawas and Ewoks live in tribal/ clan based societies where the shaman is elevated to a higher level. Obviously the gear would be more Jawa based with greeblies that look like scavenged parts and not like bones and spears. lol

I am usually the first one to say Jawa>Ewoks but the comparison was important to use because an Ewok shaman wouldn't even be looked twice at, but a Jawa shaman, equally important in their society, could be met with a little 'resistance'.

Anything anyone can find, or maybe if a Costume Judge could jump in here. These are the type of questions people ask Before starting a new project. I asked the same type of question with my Jawa Jedi and no judge felt like stepping up and saying yes or no on the fact. This would be my fiancee's first costume so it would have to be formal. If she makes a typical Jawa and adds other Jawa items, I don't see how it could be a problem. Anyone have any ideas or other takes on what a Jawa shaman might have that would seem relevant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your costume judges, along with a good chunk of the Legion are at Dragon Con this weekend and probably won't be back online until about Tues or Wed at the earliest.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's cool. I just wanna see what people would suggest for such a build and to see if any judged would have input on the subject as a whole.
De Jawa Vu ()
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighten up....Have some fun...Breath.....Second time you've been not so nice in my direction...

With that said here's some info for you. Having checked my vast collection of jawa material ( I own a lot of Jawa materials) when it comes to jawa shamans there isn't much.

I checked SW cards, role playing cards, figures, guidebooks, comics, books, and SW online resources. The Jawas share little to no similarities to ewoks except for the possibility of a wooden staff. Shaman women had bandoleers that may have contained things but no ceremonial garb.

Artists scetch cards and fan art is really the only thing that shows anything like you were refering to or hinting at. I agree it would be cool some of the stuff depicted in these sources but they are not cannon.

The jawas in general aren't a central character and basically served a role in the sw universe as scavengers. Movie wise they are known for capturing r2 and c3po and selling them to uncle owen. Thats about it. Also background filler sadly.

Even in expanded universe materials they isn't much. Vague at best. Mentions of shaman women but thats about all.

As was stated before, a ton of folks are at DRAGON-CON and living it up. So be patient because they aren't necessarily available right now.

Best thing to do is start a basic jawa and then add to it later. Make an awesome Jawa that is comfortable and functional. Now I can say that all shaman depictions I've seen have the lighter brown robes versus the dark robes. Hopefully that will give you a starting point.

Good luck. Keep fighting the good fight and show your jawa pride!
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Jawa Vu wrote:
Lighten up....Have some fun...Breath.....Second time you've been not so nice in my direction...

Please clarify, where was the "not so nice" thing that was in your direction? I don't recall ever saying anything that could have been taken offensively in this thread, and if you took anything that way then I believe my comment was misinterpreted. I am totally relaxed and just tossing out my side of a debate on Jawa Shamans lol. I agree they are very different and I admit I couldn't find much material on Shamans either. My idea on the items was, as I stated, pure speculation.

So a darker robe, staff could be seen as acceptable by some as well as various items in bandoleers. But the idea of anything other than standard robes/robe+leather vest? would be a stretch. Okay, any other ideas or speculations on what a shaman might have?
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been thinking about this. I cannot help with the "acceptability" of the costume, but here are my thoughts on what a shaman might carry.

According to wookieepedia, “The shamans were believed to possess the ability to foretell the future, and performed spells, hexes and blessings to protect the clan and ensure the well being of all clan members. With the important position within the society, the shaman did not travel in the sandcrawler and instead remained within the safety of the clan's fortress.”

So perhaps a Jawa shaman would carry krayt or ronto bones, healing herbs or items used to find water and help with spells. A staff wouldn't be out of the question, perhaps one made out of bone? They don't seem to like technology, except for a way to pawn it off on the unsuspecting, so it makes sense they would use items from nature. All I know for sure is she wouldn’t carry a blaster.
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Legion Costume Judge I would be judging it based on the Costume Standards. Unless there is a viable LFL source for something I can't approve it.

Take for instance high heel boots for a Jawa (I'm being absurd). Was never seen on screen, isn't in any official LFL source and is therefore not able to be approved.

Make the basic costume and then add on what you want as long as it can be removed for Formal events and submittal pictures.

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jada wrote:
As a Legion Costume Judge I would be judging it based on the Costume Standards. Unless there is a viable LFL source for something I can't approve it.

Take for instance high heel boots for a Jawa (I'm being absurd). Was never seen on screen, isn't in any official LFL source and is therefore not able to be approved.

Make the basic costume and then add on what you want as long as it can be removed for Formal events and submittal pictures.

Sounds good, thank you for clarifying.
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miralys51 wrote:
They don't seem to like technology, except for a way to pawn it off on the unsuspecting, so it makes sense they would use items from nature. All I know for sure is she wouldn’t carry a blaster.

My thoughts exactly, I was thinking instead of a blaster, maybe a medpac?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: