About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e139d37cb329ea14ecf60be9577d3756Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hi From CHCH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green1000 (Andrew Green)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Hi From CHCH Reply with quote

Hi,

Just thought I would put up a hello thread. I'm Andrew from CHCH, but most people call me Green. I also Just joined up with the 501st. I'm starting to make a generic Old Republic Jedi costume. So far I have an EPIII MR Obi-Wan Kenobi Saber, and I have made an outer cloak, but It's a bit different. I decided to make it out of chocolate brown, almost sack like material, my resoning being that I was going to do it my way, and the rough edges would increase a jedi's focus, and humble them, also providing excelent wear characteristics, and helping to blend into poorer backgrounds. I'm not sure if this is within the rules, if not, then I have an excelent pattern to copy using the"right" material. Hopefully this week I will have time to pop into the fabric shop and find some material to make some pants and an under tunic.

"May the force be with you"
Green Ben
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kia ora Andrew Smile

If you wander over to the Jedi section of these boards you'll be sure to find some advice on what is considered suitable Smile I myself used a mystery fabric for my robes for Shaak Ti (it is all natural, just not clear what blend of flax/nettle/other if is).

I think you will need to hem it though, but again best to get advice from the legion judges up there if you want to register it Smile Otherwise there is nothing wrong with creating your own character for your own thing Smile

Is Kutwells still around? I know the SCA used to raid there frequently for wools and linens at super cheap prices. I love the stuff I got, perfect shade of blue for the 16thC. I
I seem to recall though they were looking like shutting down even before the earthquakes.

Good luck and be sure to share photos Smile
Ember ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

Nice to see you on here Smile

There's nothing to prevent you weathering your costume, so you shouldn't have problems with fraying the edges on your outer cloak.
The cloak is not a required item for acceptance, so if you do end up with concerns just make sure the rest of the outfit meets the standard required (which is quite easy!), and the cloak can be an optional accessory for informal events. Would be very cool to see your costume approved with a cloak though Smile

Hope the fabric hunting goes well!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neimhaille wrote:
Kia ora Andrew Smile

If you wander over to the Jedi section of these boards you'll be sure to find some advice on what is considered suitable Smile I myself used a mystery fabric for my robes for Shaak Ti (it is all natural, just not clear what blend of flax/nettle/other if is).

I think you will need to hem it though, but again best to get advice from the legion judges up there if you want to register it Smile Otherwise there is nothing wrong with creating your own character for your own thing Smile

Is Kutwells still around? I know the SCA used to raid there frequently for wools and linens at super cheap prices. I love the stuff I got, perfect shade of blue for the 16thC. I
I seem to recall though they were looking like shutting down even before the earthquakes.

Good luck and be sure to share photos Smile

I think Kutwells is gone the block of shops they were in is pretty old and if I remember right was made out of the red bricks that didn't really standup to the shaking very well. I Did go to fabric vision (my local fabric store) and got some nice brown material for some pants and under tunic (it was only $8 a m), felt a bit weird in there with all of the mums and old ladies there Razz So hopefully I'll get on with making those this weekend, even though I should be studying! Postgrad exams are only 2 weeks away!

I'll make a costume thread here, to try and breathe some new life into the pace eh?

Green
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scrolled to the bottom of th page and saw this Smile I'm going to Christchurch Armageddon so if you are are going I'll be sure to say hi Smile

In fact on Saturday I'll be doing a talk at the show on costuming with the focus of fabric costumes (basics of fabric properties and then a big focus on fit) so I'll be easy to find Smile Not sure what I'll be wearing at this stage though Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: