About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d30a7889d504d83767261c5513c7da26Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Are you able to walk normally?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Are you able to walk normally? Reply with quote

Hi guys , just wondering if any one here has trouble walking with a natural stride , I seem to drag my toes alot unless I lift my knees way up which looks and feels a bit weird. Confused (using stilts) Any one else have problems?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifts or stilts?
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I've ever had trouble walking with stilts. Obviously you have no toe movement and extremely limited ankle movement but beyond that you can still move about well enough.

It might be a good idea to snap some photos of your rig and or post a video.
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using stilts. I have allowed the toes to pivot up at the ball of the foot (where the stilts end) this is clearly part of the problem, as I push off from the tip of the stilt, the toes are still on the ground. But I am concerned that to fix this issue means making the sole of the foot solid all the way to the toe and thus giving me a new goofy walk.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firebird wrote:
I'm using stilts. I have allowed the toes to pivot up at the ball of the foot (where the stilts end) this is clearly part of the problem, as I push off from the tip of the stilt, the toes are still on the ground. But I am concerned that to fix this issue means making the sole of the foot solid all the way to the toe and thus giving me a new goofy walk.

I am using skywalker stilts, and I have toes that also "touch" the ground at the point of bend. I have added on the botton of the toes, a highly pollished piece of leather that allow the toes to slid along the floor on any surface. Carpet hard wood... it doesnt matter the toes because of the highly pollished 10ounce leather glide over all surfaces. I also have a metal shovel like system that I built into the toes that attach it to the stilt. It allows the toes to bend when I walk but prevent the toes going past the horizontal position... thus preventing them from snagging on the floor when you move your foot.
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, sounds like I've done something similar to you, there is an adjustable stop on the pivot aswell. I would prefer to keep the pivot idea if I can . The fact that you have got yours to work gives me hope that it should be ok.

Is there someone here who uses stilts with a non articulating foot ?
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really appreciate it if you guys could post photos of the feet and their attachment to the skywalker stilts. I am about to get into this part of my costume and I could really use some advice.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow missed this post. If you notice I have a nylon webbing attached to my toe. The Nylon is rivited to the stilts toe thru the plastic. I did this by removing the soul of the stilt and then working the rivets on. I then applied wide steel L-brackets between the the leather and the silicone foot on one sit... to the webbing. What this does is when I lift up my foot it prevents the foot from flopping and dragging on the floor. Which could cause a fall. Building it this way I get the foot movement of a normal foot and ankle, yet the safety of a straight foot when moving. I pollished up the black leather to slide of all surfaces so it does not snag.

Only 2 pics I have of my feet.

Unfinnished wookie feet:

Finnished wookie feet:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: