About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=996c608151e8291b72423e085ef7c535Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chewbacca sounds with Think Geek sound shirt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Chewbacca sounds with Think Geek sound shirt Reply with quote

Wanted to post how I got my sound shrit to sound louder and much more natural for your Chewbacca costume.

I used a Sound shirt from Thinkgeek.com
The cool thing with this system is you can download 20 sounds to the SD card that the unit uses.
Here are the mp3 files (for those who want them):

The ones ForestMoonStudio sent me: http://www.highlandcitadel.com/Tarfful/sounds/FMS.zip
The ones from the Yahoo Group: http://www.highlandcitadel.com/Tarfful/sounds/yahoo.zip
The ones from the StarWars.com Soundboard: http://www.highlandcitadel.com/Tarfful/sounds/soundboard.zip

(Thanks to WookieeGunner for converting these files to mp3)

I took the small speaker off and replaced it with a 10w speaker that I ripped out of my old big screen tv. (the speaker is about 3 inches thick)
I took a plastic bowl big enough to house the speaker. Painted it black. Cut a hole just big enough for the speaker to fit. It will sit flush.

Then cut wood pieces and place on back side for screws that will hold speaker in place.

I added an adjustable strap. The speaker unit hangs at my upper chest.

I ran extra speaker wire so I have enough slack in the wire under my Chewie shirt. The amp unit connects to the arm of my Under Armor shirt.
The touch pad runs down my arm to my hand so I can push whatever sound (1-20) button.

The speaker hides really well under the fur shirt.

Here's a video of how it sounds with the small speaker and then the big speaker. I never change the volume on the amp.
http://youtu.be/WHmb4Ej6BvU

Last edited by forestmoonstudio on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!

Thanks for putting this together!
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds very natural with the larger speaker, not tinny, like with the small one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5 troops that I have done so far... people at all the troops say "He looks and sounds so real"

Haven't heard one negative comment about the sounds.

I'm going to buy another sound shirt to have as a backup.
neiloneil ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love it bro..going same route...thanks for the info
TheNegotiator (Derek Struchtemeyer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, this is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!
I'm ordering one right now!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way this thread can be resurrected with pics and links intact?

How unfortunate it would be to lose this information.

Potential Wookiee
Sez.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: