About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c499592e58baf12796464a15d62134ddMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Vest Supplier?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a paypal logo on their site, maybe you can report them to paypal with proof and they'll sever ties with them

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't everyone thank me at once... Laughing
Just kidding. In fact, if I could recognize KayDee's work, it's mainly because those pics were the first ones I looked up when I wanted to update my vest.
Thanks to you, Kathy! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you taking commissions currently Kathy?
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality of all of these "cosplay" sites are about on par with costumebase, but at least Simon is ethical enough to show photos of the actual product he sells.

In response to the original question, Magnoli Clothiers provides the best, most accurate, commercially available vests IMO. He has both the ANH and ROTJ versions. They are pricey at $250.00 a pop, however.

Costumebase is not bad, but his ANH vest lacks some small details. (The small pocket on top of the crescent moon pocket, the double flap on the lower left pocket, and the waistband.) It's not bad though, for the Solo on a budget. Fabric is good and workmanship is decent. I haven't seen his ROTJ vest firsthand, so I can't really speak to that.

Evolution Props has recently begun offering an ANH vest which looks identical to Magnoli's in every way, except that it is not lined. It is also less than half the cost. He has posted his own photos, so I'm sure he did not not just steal Magnoli's images. Wink

This is probably the route I will go with my own vest, and will post an opinion once I have the actual product in hand.

For what it's worth, I'm equally outraged by the theft of Kay-Dee's photos. Not only is it unfair to her, but also to any potential buyers who will expect a far higher-quality item than they will actually receive. Good luck in your efforts to put a stop to this travesty, Kathy. If there is any way we can help, let us know.

As always, good luck in your builds.

May the Force be with you,

Brian
Kotobuki ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems like the page for that product has been removed, and they no longer list any Han Solo items in their Star Wars section.

Something must have worked.
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my experience with Cosplaying on Ebay, I wont recommend ANYTHING from China. Thankfully I got a full refund from Ebay. Stay far, far away.....

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have a black list or a use at your own risk list...perhaps that's something the next DCO can work on
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:

Costumebase is not bad, but his ANH vest lacks some small details. (The small pocket on top of the crescent moon pocket, the double flap on the lower left pocket, and the waistband.) It's not bad though, for the Solo on a budget. Fabric is good and workmanship is decent. I haven't seen his ROTJ vest firsthand, so I can't really speak to that.

easy fix for the costumebase ANH vest is to cut out some fabric from the inside of the big rear pocket, to make the 'pocket-on-pocket' for the left breast. (this way you've got matching fabric).
it renders the rear pocket useless but, it was never very useful anyways Wink

last I checked, the costumebase ROTJ-vest is the same as their ANH but it's blue (not black), from the same fabric as their ESB jacket. Neutral

(a "blue" vest won't pass, no matter how many pockets you add Wink hehe)
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Navy blue?..Seriously? So not only are the pockets wrong, but the color as well? No wonder it wouldn't pass.

I guess that leaves Magnoli as the only reliable source for the ROTJ vest, at least that I know of.

Thank the maker that I have the original Fan Club version of this vest. It looks dead-on in every detail.

"I have a bad feeling about this."

Brian
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:

easy fix for the costumebase ANH vest is to cut out some fabric from the inside of the big rear pocket, to make the 'pocket-on-pocket' for the left breast. (this way you've got matching fabric).
it renders the rear pocket useless but, it was never very useful anyways Wink

well...if you want the pocket to still be functional, you could patch the hole you cut out...just saying.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! I checked the site today and Lolita cosplay seem to have taken down the Han Solo costume all together. Hey, I was fine with them selling the costume as long as they posted photos of their own work - not mine.

Kotobuki wrote:
Well, it seems like the page for that product has been removed, and they no longer list any Han Solo items in their Star Wars section.

Something must have worked.

All my Angry page reviews and form e-mails I guess?

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Squadron Leader wrote:
Are you taking commissions currently Kathy?

Sorry - no. Way too swamped with my own costumes, costumes some friends are patiently waiting for - I just don't have time to take anything other than what my friends have been waiting a very long time for. Including poor husband.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee wrote:
All my Angry page reviews and form e-mails I guess?

Note to self: Never get Kathy upset at me...

Mr. Green

On a happier note; will there be a Rebel Legion presence at NYCC? I'll be there Saturday!
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Kathy. Score one for the Rebellion against the Empire.

Great shot kid, that was one in a million!

Brian
Blue Squadron Leader ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone looked at these: http://cosplaysky.com/star-wars-anh-a-new-hope-han-solo-vest-costume.html

The vest seems fairly accurate with the pocket on pocket and waistband. Only thing I can see is maybe adding the additional pocket flap n the abdominal pocket.

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: