About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d2796604d03f610d72bf78352fa7d0e2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gone Wookie - Torment's Tarfull **Full pics page 8**
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that would say oooh and ahhs about. been working with a few wookies to get some issues figured out when building this. ONe of those reinventing the wheel deals.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok time to talk about stilts. I found something that I really thought would fit into what I was thinking. They are called High Steppers. These are light weight bucket stilts. Kinda like the ones you may have played with when you were kids. However unlike the 6 inch tall buckets these are 18 inches tall.

However 18 inches is way to tall to really be useful. 12 inches was exactly what I need to pull off the costume. However no one makes 12 inch tall stilts. So I had to cut the stilts down to the 12 inch mark. In doing this however I lost the stability of the stilts. I had to go in and reinforce the parts to make the more secure for walking on. In doing this I placed four threaded rods through the stilts giving it structural strength. i re-bolted the old bottoms to the stilt to return the spacing lip to the bottom of the stilt. Next I added two wooden dowels that i drilled trough the top of the stilt and then bolted that as well for stability. What all the bolts did was added riggitity to the stilt. The Dowels were used for the shin padding.

What you will see here is the cut and bolted stilts. Some padding was added to get an idea. For the sole of the feet, I used rubber car mats. They should have some durrability for wear and tear and offer a base that I can be flexible with when I added the toes. The toes as I said before are laytex toes that Droidwrangler made for me.

Just adding the shin foam in here. its a few layers thick.

A completed foot...well without hair.... The entire foot is wrapped in duct tape first. This holds the foam parts in place to the mat, stilts, and other parts.

Now both feet together. I added the nails on this one and you can see I did an decent enough job in making them similar enough to each other. I hate to say it but wookies are more like an art rather than a science. There are a few differences between the two feet. But overall, I was happy with them. My next task is to coat the whole leg with a thin coat of laytex. This is to ensure once the hair goes ontop of this that the under parts never fall apart. When they are done, each leg will come in about 10 pounds with hair. They walk pretty well and although I dont really ever intend on doing parades with this thing, I am looking forward to wearing it once during next years SWW. I'd like to do a a whole Kashyyk scene with Randy as Gree, Angelo and Chris as Barc's, Amy as Luminara. And if all goes well. And I have a bit more time. Ill be doing a Chewie as well. All in all the components are going to come in at just about 1000 even. Hours invested however are looking to be in the 6 - 8 hundred range. Latch hooking is a burden. My tenative goal now is early October. Ok back to working on all the good stuff.

Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Jason!
I know I was originally supposed to help you out with the feet but you have done a great job on them yourself. Must look into the steppers myself!
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,
How much do just the stock steppers weigh? 10lbs seems kinda heavy per leg. Do you feel the weight after a while in your hips? My skywalker stilts are 7lbs. each. I like the steppers but they seem a bit heavy. What do you think?

Chewy Layers snow to print
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it sounds heavy to some, but to me they are kinda light. Longest I have spent in them is 35 mins walking around and I dont have issues. Then again im not to small in the leg department. I used to be a sprinter in HS and college. My legs are incredibly strong. I used to run with 7 pound weights on my ankles and 7 pound weights wrapped around my thighs. So carrying the weight is not all that bad. I havent spent hours in them though so I guess trial by fire, but the weight overall is negligable to me.

Doug,

no worries dude. I think we both got caught up in life man. I hope the family is doing well. To be honest i just finally got back to this project as of a week ago. I did all the work in a few days. I completely modeled them after your feet that I loved. I think im a few pounds heaver than yours, but the design is completely from you. Loved it too much to do something different. Ill have hair on this soon. Then show them off then. I think they will be more appealing with hair on them than not.

Just curious what glue did you use to hold the lower row of hair down on the feet?
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attached mesh to most of the surface area and used Copydex glue in some areas, it's just a latex based glue for fabrics and upholstery.

Torment wrote:
I know it sounds heavy to some, but to me they are kinda light. Longest I have spent in them is 35 mins walking around and I dont have issues. Then again im not to small in the leg department. I used to be a sprinter in HS and college. My legs are incredibly strong. I used to run with 7 pound weights on my ankles and 7 pound weights wrapped around my thighs. So carrying the weight is not all that bad. I havent spent hours in them though so I guess trial by fire, but the weight overall is negligable to me.

Doug,

no worries dude. I think we both got caught up in life man. I hope the family is doing well. To be honest i just finally got back to this project as of a week ago. I did all the work in a few days. I completely modeled them after your feet that I loved. I think im a few pounds heaver than yours, but the design is completely from you. Loved it too much to do something different. Ill have hair on this soon. Then show them off then. I think they will be more appealing with hair on them than not.

Just curious what glue did you use to hold the lower row of hair down on the feet?

Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delay in updates on this. But im guessing people understand why things get so delayed with a project like this. Well I have great progress to report. I got the dread locks from Zaxmon about two weeks ago now and attached them to the head. I have been blending the hair on the dome to hide the work of attaching them. As it stands right now the whole head is covered except for the face. I am working on the face all next week. and should have it done then.

To do that I had to make a hair punching tool. I took a sewing needle and tapped a small hole into a wooden dowel I used for mixing silicone with. Then shoved the needle into the dowel by pressing it into a table. Cut the tip of the eye off with a dremmel and now I can start punching hair. After everything is punched I am going to get a spray on glue and groom and glue so it the face hairs dont move. Should cut down on grooming after each event. I have been taking progress photos but I wanna show them off all together when the head is done.

Dreds for a teaser....

I also did one of the feet. I dunno why, but I work from the left side to the right all the time.

Here is the left leg.

There are magnetic pocketbook clips that will attach the pants to the legs. This way the pants will stay securely in place and the hairs will blend correctly when the two pieces are together.
Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good...Can't wait to see you and Grinch together...

Former BSN Admid.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Significant but small update. Foot number two is done. Time for pants.

For the pants I think I came up with something pretty cool. I originally wanted to wear a muscle suit for shorts or something to give my legs some definition. however what I think I am gonna do is put the muscles into the suit itself. I will do the pants normally like anyone. However I will be putting the muscle pads ontop of the pants and sewing in a new netting sheet over it. This will help me keep the muscles where they belong. Cut dressing down dramatically. And ideally it should add the size I am hoping to gain in the costume. As it is I stand 6 foot 225 lbs. However I have to come off as 7'5 500ish. I am starting the pants portion this weekend, and should be getting into them in 2 weeks. Looking forward to showing the lower body off soon.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to put them in the suit... make sure its in a way you can remove them so they can be washed. Its one thing to look like a wookiee, but no one wants you smelling like one as well.

Wink

Bob
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of inverse pockets. once they are stitched in I can cut the backs out a bit to slide them in and out. Plus I bought stock in fabreeze. I have a feeling its going to be used ALOT
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a wookiee without freebreeze is a very lonely wookiee.
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Keep us posted on the progress!

Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still making progress on the suit. I still have to finish off the pants, but I have made some progress. I have to do some relatching for a bit of hair correction. I also have to groom the pants to boots meeting point. But once thats done, I think it will be pretty good to go. I know the pics are fuzzy, but thats what you get for only having a phone cam. I wanted to post up more progress since its been so long since I have.

Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress Jason, can't wait to see this, I expect perfection like your Clones. LOL!

Former BSN Admid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: