Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=68de85f28ebbd260d1b4592940096042Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

*** Chewbacca FAQ's***

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: *** Chewbacca FAQ's*** Reply with quote

This thread is designed to gather Frequently Asked Questions for all things Wookiee related. Help me fill this out guys and gals, give me your questions. I will update this thread with more Q&A from time to time... hope it helps!

Before making a costume of this nature consult others who have been down this path, and read… read… read!

***FAQ***

1. I have been thinking about making a Wookiee costume--where should I start?
A. I would suggest going where I and many other Wookiees started out: Chewbacca Costuming Resources

2.. Where do you get the hair for making the costume, and how much do I need?
A. There are many threads discussing Wookiee hair. I would start here: Wookiee Hair

3. How much hair should I be trimming on my costume?
A. Everyone has their own method, but here are a few discussions on it: Hair trimming. Remember--you can cut more, but not always add back.

4. How do I blend hair?
A. Hair blending can be done a few ways. The professionals use a tool called a hackle. This is a device that through practice will help you blend hair for a more natural look. Here is a thread on hackle making; Hackle making

5. How tall do I have to be to become a Formal Wookiee?
A. Here is a great discussion on height and how to become taller with stilts: Stilt use for Height. Here is another thread on Wookiees, and height through platforms: Platform use for height

6. Are there any builds showing how to make a Wookiee?
A. There are many builds posted on the forums. I will post a few here:
1. Ducks, 2. DarthofTruth, 3. tk4918, 4. Torment, 5. Wookiediego, 6. Forestmoonstudios, 7. Shy-ted72, 8. TYVOKKA, 9. BeeJay, 10. Donberto17, 11. Dougie Fett, 12. Limey, 13. Lumpy, 14. Tatooineboy, 15. trooper1

7. What kind of maintenance is needed to keep a wookiee suit clean?
A.Most suits are going to be that of the latch hook method, and are of a synthetic nature. The netting used to hold the hair is also of a synthetic material. So unless there is a very unnatural build up of salt, of stench you should be able to get away with Frebreeze. I would recommend anyone with a Wookiee suit to use Frebreeze on a regular basis. The other thing I would recommend... and this is important... DO NOT put your suit away in a bag, box, or any enclosed area after a troop without Frebreezing and airing out your suit first. You may be tired after an event, but the smell you will create from a suit that has not aired out properly is EPIC!... and you can damage your suit. I would also recommend using watered down vinegar or some other method of cleaning your mask from time to time. Latex/ Silicones (Dragon skin) are very hardy materials but can still hold stink, and after a while, you will not make many friends on a troop if you don't keep your costume cleaned. Wash your wookiee thread

8. What do you recommend for Eye Makeup under the mask?
A. There are a few methods of use, and it will depend on your preferences. Things like a prepared kit for make-up and make-up remover are key to any good costumer... more so for Wookiees. You do not want to look like a raccoon after an event when everyone is at the local restaurant afterwards. Here is a topic on different make-up techniques... Eye Make-up

9.Where does one get the mesh body suit material from for latch hooking hair?
A. You can try many vendors out there but most of the wookiees as of late have been getting their Mesh suiting material from collinscottage. More info on the Mesh Fabric Mesh Fabric Questions

10.So what about wookiee sounds, what systems do you use?
A.You can check out these threads to help you decide what is best for you. Wookiee sound effects roundtable discussion

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 6 times in total
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent! Well Done!
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for compiling this info! Well done!
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per request of Montee916. I have added the following question/ answer to the FAQ.

A. You can try many vendors out there but most of the wookiees as of late have been getting their Mesh suiting material from collinscottage.

Thanks Montee!

Bob
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have edited FAQ#9 to include a question thread on the mesh fabric.

A. You can try many vendors out there but most of the wookiees as of late have been getting their Mesh suiting material from collinscottage. More info on the Mesh Fabric Mesh Fabric Questions

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added:

10.So what about wookiee sounds, what systems do you use?
A.You can check out these threads to help you decide what is best for you. Wookiee sound effects roundtable discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: