Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=330525e198cc8bc36f6dfe8dfb2ce4ebMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Journey to approved Han ESB & ROTJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Journey to approved Han ESB & ROTJ Reply with quote

So, for the last couple of years, I've been using a Han outfit I picked up over at The RPF. A fellow member there had the outfit on display and was looking to off-load it rather cheap.
The pants were from CE, the shirt and jacket from Costume Base. The ROTJ vest was really nice, the label on the inside says Anjon Apparel, made in the USA. It's sadly too big for me, so lucky for me he included the ESB jacket in the sale. It wasn't listed on his posting, it just showed up with everything else.
First thing I did was remake the shirt because it was terrible. I made a post about the ESB shirt I made, which also is terrible, but the part that actually shows looks good and I've been given lots of compliments on it. I have a pattern that Bob has posted to remake the shirt with an actual shirt pattern rather than me trying to throw something together, but I'm waiting on a friend to modify the pattern for me (I couldn't find a pattern in my size and it's out of print) It's Mcall's 7760 if anyone cares.
Next upgrade was the boots, I was able to locate some Russian Parade boots, someone has recently linked a Russian Military surplus store that currently has some of the same boots, for much less than what I paid for. Meh, they are great, comfortable and look good. Bob told me I should get them evened out, I'm sure I will eventually but for now, they work.
Next thing I did was make my gun, that also is a thread somewhere on the boards.
Then I made a gun belt, I failed on the color but I was on a crunch for time so I just went with what I had. So, I will redo it, at least to some extent, after I have everything else. Or I suppose if I get bored before then.
The pants...one of the main reasons I never submitted, are pretty terrible. The front pleat is off center, no riding seam and the stripes are made of ribbon. These will need to be redone for a proper Han costume. So, I have taken the first step to creating a new pair. I picked up the embroidered bloodstripes from costumescostumescostumes. They are linked in the resources.
They are within the measurements of the standards for stripes and they look pretty darn good. The only thing I don't like is how little of material they are on. You have just under 1/4" to work with, so zero room for error when sewing them on. That does not make me happy.
now to take them to our local fabric store(s) to hunt down some suitable material to make the pants with. Also...I need to work on making pants. I have an old pants pattern I'm going to try with some material I have to see if the pattern makes pants in a style I could work with.
I took pictures of the stripes because I was going to upload them here, but for some reason my camera no longer wants to communicate with my computer, which is awesome Rolling Eyes

I need to figure out a way to make the shirt and vest now for the ROTJ costume, any leads on patterns for that?
Yes, I'm wanting my ROTJ done by CVI and I figure, might as well get ESB finished and submitted too!

oh, here's my Fonzi impression wearing the ESB outfit I currently have (8/3/11) pic from a parade in St. Louis Park, MN on 6/18/11
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is how I attach my embroidered stripes.
the amount of side-fabric is irrelevant this way. Wink
(you don't even SEE the side-fabric. hehe)

there's a tutorial on it here http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29400

Quote:

I need to figure out a way to make the shirt and vest now for the ROTJ costume, any leads on patterns for that?

for my vest .. I took a penman';s sleeveless T-shirt from wal-mart,
sliced it neatly up the front to make a "vest" shape. then cut this "vest" up in pieces to make my pattern.
I used black 'docker twill' as the fabric.

in the end, I got a twill vest with the same basic dimensions as a Penman's sleeveless Tshirt Wink [/fashion tip]
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its amazing how just adding the right bloodstripes to a pair of Han pants changes the whole dimention of the costume... you go from ok... to OMG!

Keep up the work Brian... looking very good !

Bob
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, Brian!

btw, I just sent in my photos for the ANH Han. I'm trying to get back this costume at least for Informal status right now...I finally got my belt tools in and constructed them yesterday...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...my weight loss took a little longer than expected. But, I've made my goal AND found material for pants and jacket! I have seriously been going to SR Harris (a local fabric warehouse) here for some time and tonight, I finally found it. Of course my camera is broken so I can't take any pictures, but the pants are a wool blend a reddish brown. The jacket material is a very dark blue that looks to be a twill cotton, it wasn't labeled so...I'm guessing.
My question is for anyone who has made the Dawn Anderson jacket, or I guess anyone who knows the Han jacket real well, I don't have any pics from the back, but are there pleats on the back? She has two options with the pattern, one with a pocket on the back and one with pleats on the back.
The notation also says the view without the pocket on the back has expandable pockets...but I'm sure that's an easy enough thing to move over to the non-pleated back if that's the one I need...I'm guessing it is, but I want to do it right.
Also just a note to anyone, I ended up buying the whole bolt because I had no clue how much I needed as I wasn't expecting to find the material. According to the pattern, I'll just need three yards. So I will have extra material if anyone likes the looks of it (whenever I'll be able to get pics up).
But...I have two costumes ahead of this one to finish so, not sure when I'll actually have the jacket in any form to have a pic up of.
Um...so yeah, pretty happy I finally found the material, now I'm hoping I have enough time before CVI...it may have to be unapproved Confused
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know you're still at it. Keep us posted Very Happy
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Back Pocket is sewn into the waist seam.... no baffle or pleast at the bottom of the pocket. The top part of the pocket (the Flap) is never seen up... more than likely Hand stitched to keep the pocket down. This was common for Hans Vests as well. The sides of the back pocket are vented however on both sides.

Another example of how they tacked down the corners of the pockets to prevent them from coming up during the movie... again common in other costumes Han wears.

Common mistake with this jacket is that people tend to top stitch the jackets pokets down... they are vented all around the pocket and are not top stitched down at any point. These pockets are a pain to make correct, but with a bit of practice can be made to look really nice.

Last known photo of the jacket was in the prop store in London. Here you can get a better idea of how the jacket has the flaps top stitched on the pockets, but not the pockets themselves.

Hope this helps!
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks! Now that I have the material on-hand, I need to get the other projects out of the way so I can get started on this. Maybe it's a good thing I have all that extra material in case I mess up the pockets. I can't wait!
Thanks again, Bob!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: