Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bcb99ea4c10837eca65f68606a74fa87Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo buckles...Interested?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freq (Erich Shafer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking over the charter, there appears to be no issue with the sale from a non-member. *However,* all sales must be posted in the For Sale/Trade forum.

The buckles aren't considered Legion Merchandise, as they don't utilize a Legion logo or other branding... So they'll be headed to FS/T, rather than the Legion Merch Interest forum.

Thanks for the heads up, Bob!

"Do they teach you to throw?"
"No, they teach us to cheat!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules shouldn't apply to Fringe. Hello... smugglers?

Very Happy
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamScottFM wrote:
Checking over the charter, there appears to be no issue with the sale from a non-member. *However,* all sales must be posted in the For Sale/Trade forum.

The buckles aren't considered Legion Merchandise, as they don't utilize a Legion logo or other branding... So they'll be headed to FS/T, rather than the Legion Merch Interest forum.

Thanks for the heads up, Bob!

BUT...you need to be a member to have access to the Sale threads. So, even though it may not explicitly state in the charter that anyone wanting to sell anything through our boards needs to be a member, it is implied as the only sale threads available are only available to members...
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly, so technically, Bob is right. because this is the MAIN legion forum, LFL wants our selling of things behind closed doors, sorry....

However, if this person can find an RL member to SPONSOR him and post the interest for these in the correct forum, this can be carried on over there. An RL member would have to act like a middle man

This would also help to give some kind of trust to the deal. It helps protect our members from people who just decide to say "here I have this for sale" then take all your money and run and you never get anything, and we cannot DO anything because they arent members.

So while I would like to see these items available we need a go between. Even more weird is the "Friend" isnt a member but doesnt have a forum account here? so there is ALREADY a middleman? and that middle man isnt a member?

Looks very dangerous...
Freq (Erich Shafer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day. Smile

So, herein lies the issue...

1) There's no issue with sales from a non-member.
2) All sales must be posted in the For Sale/Trade forum.
3) Non members do not have access to the For Sale/Trade forum.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Brian, Bob's right on this (aside from the FS/T v Legion Merch forum). It's unfortunately counter-intuitive, but those are (currently) the rules. Fortunately, another round of charter amendments is coming up, and hopefully it can be addressed then.

"Do they teach you to throw?"
"No, they teach us to cheat!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bonded Hawk ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the reason for how the sale/trade section is ran, but it makes it difficult for those of us that are on our first SW costume. Those of us without the skills, resources, or friends (middle men) are reduced to using evilbay and other such outlets. The outcome is usually an inferior costume instead of a screen accurate one.

Bonded Hawk
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One route you can take is to make up the buckles... sell them to an RL member you trust (could be for min fee to keep them honest then recoupe the cost after sales) and have them sell it for you.

This protects you and us at the same time. If the sale goes bad we have a member we can hold accountable for the sale. You can get material costs up front from your trusted RL member... and a profit from after sales. Really a win win for all.

My intentions is not to squash sales of the buckle... more than to protect the members by upholding the rules.

There are very few options out there for members for accurate hardware for Hans holsters and we really appreciate your interest in having them made for our guys.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way.

Bob Kohn
DCO
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m no costumer by the grace of Lucas, so that all is not my business - i just like to point out silly rules whenever i notice them. Very Happy

Maybe this situation is the reason for the many inaccurate details in the RL - Mercs and Empire have to follow Georgieboys rules, too. But they seem to strive for higher and higher accuracy, encouraging their member to get higher levels, and trying to ease the availability of parts for their members.

From a outside position it´s funny to notice. Wink

Have a nice day,
Michael
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rules shouldn't apply to Fringe...Hello, smugglers?

(I like that. Cool)

Wow, I feel like I've just flown into an asteroid field!!

First of all, allow me to express my sincere, open, public apology to the Legion, it's Council, and the members of Docking Bay 94 Detatchment. A smuggler I may be, but I'm an honorable smuggler and have the utmost respect for the Legion and its policies. I have a couple of costumes right on the cusp of being submitted for approval, and I would not deliberately do anything to jeopardize my chances for gaining acceptance. I've worked too hard and spent too much time on the costumes for that.

Secondly, the original intention of the thread was to guage the interest level of members in the buckles, not really to sell them per se. These buckles are extremely labor intensive, and the purpose for the thread was to see realistically how many sets of buckles would we be looking at making? 10? 20? 50? We were trying to find out if we could even realistically meet the demand. That's why the thread was titled Han Solo buckles...Interested? and not Han Solo buckles for sale. That's also why no pricing information was placed on the forum.

Each person who expressed interest was then sent a PM with contact information. From there, they could deal with the artist directly on cost, materials, and how long it might take to fill an order. If the buckles turn out to be too expensive, or people don't like the fabrication, or it would take too long to make them, they may not end up buying anything at all right? Therefore no rule would be violated.

I realize this is splitting hairs, and we're in a grey area (what kind of smuggler would I be if didn't spend some time in the grey areas?). I would ask only to be judged by my intent. My intent was sincerely to help people out. I don't make a dime on these buckles personally. If I have a personal agenda at all it's to rid the Legion of crappy costumebase Han Solo belts. Every post I have placed on this forum has been with that intent; to help others as much as this site has helped me.

At this point, I would not feel comfortable asking someone to speak for me, when they don't really know me. I can't do anything about the people who have already been sent contact info for the buckles. If the Council wishes, I will ask that Jon not fill any orders at this time. As far as future requests, please do not post anymore until I have full member status. As I said, I have a couple of costumes near ready, so that hopefully won't be too long from now.

I understand the reasons the Legion must protect themselves and their members. No offense taken, Bob. I hope to join your ranks soon, and perhaps the buckles can then be made available once again.

May the Force be with you all,

Brian
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the charter is up for possible changes, might I suggest that only members are allowed to sell, and everyone can access the B/S/T forum? This would especially help first timers like myself get approved with the correct items instead of us having to look outside the legion to get the items we need for approval.

Perfect example would be the Solo holster that was\is for sale. Hiding the forum from new users is especially hurtful to the sellers, as you are blocking probably the largest base of customers to sell your product. If I'm already a Han, do I need to buy a holster? Probably not...
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time today talking to a few people... and when charter amendments come up there WILL be a few ideas coming thru the system on the for sale section.

No offense taken in anyway Brian... it’s all good. It’s refreshing to see people with so much energy for costuming... no apologies are needed.

Bob
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob for your kind words, it really does mean a lot.

As far as reworking the charter goes, I really think that things are correct the way they are. I understand the Legion's need to protect themselves and their members, as well as the intellectual property rights of LFL. I'm all about the rules and standards as well.

That being said, I think Havok69 has a really good point about how things should be conducted. Only members should be allowed to offer items for sale, but non-members should be able to access that forum. That way, non-members have access to, hopefully, the best items available.

The last word I would say about this is that perhaps the wording of the charter and the FAQ section be revised. I actually read the charter before I ever posted this thread, and the only limitations I saw were that Rebel Legion merchandise could not be sold to outside parties

In the FAQ section, it states that "only members can sell to other members." This is a bit confusing, because it does not specify "Forum Members vs. Full members." I would respectfully suggest that this verbiage be changed, and incorporated into the revised charter.

Anyway, these are my thoughts, do with them what you will. I have only our collective best interests in mind.

May the Force be with you,

Brian
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with that, that I see, is for RL swag we can only sell to members.
So...perhaps there needs to be a props/costume sales thread that can/should be seperated from the other sale threads.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I get non-members not selling things on the boards, it's for everyone's protection, but I don't see a reason why someone couldn't recommend an outside source and/or vendor they've used (and I know nobody is saying you can't). We use lots of outside vendors. Our previous buckle supplier wasn't a member (that I know of, could be wrong) but had a good rep and solid track record. I used three different vendors to put together my Solo belt (buckles, belt disk and tools). A couple of our members just went with an new untried soft parts supplier to scout it out for us. You go off the boards and you take your chances but if someone does a poor job word will get around very fast. Likewise if someone does a good job I don't see that we can't share that information. My fingers are crossed for good things on the buckle supply front Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We most certainly can recommend a vendor... we do tons of that. We just have to keep it off the boards when it comes to the actual sale. We can't take interest to purchase threads ors PMs for orders... etc.

If a vendor does a poor job on anything it will make its way back here for sure!

Situation like this is interesting because it sounds like the person making the buckle is a third party allready. SO unless that person has an established web site and business, you taking a chance... which is up to the individual if thats what they want to do.

If they do have a web site/ business I will be more than glad to add them to the links of many other vendors we have here allready.

I hope we can work something out, because by the looks of it... there are many who could use a nice set of buckles.

Bob
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: