Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cfa0aeb9fa667070b18fc397a57a8e1cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

'off-the-rack' Han Solo (alternative to costumebase)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this site looks pretty much on par with costume base, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Someone in the Jedi forums posted about it asking if anyone has purchased from them. So far, I don't know of anyone that has, but like I said it looks to be about on par with costume base. The belt though...looks too shiny
http://jedi-robe.com/home.html

there was someone at our local con that had the gun belt from this site so I got to look at it upclose. I personally would say it's not worth the money. It's on par with costume base, but I'm pretty sure it was more expensive. They said they paid almost $100 after it was all said and done.
The material, probably vinyl, is way too shiny and had a very plastic feel. I think the buckle face plates were better than CB, but the closure system is still the exact same, so I think it will have the same issues as CB belts.
Those are my feelings on it anyway. But, everyone has different feelings on what it is worth to them. Will it work? Sure, but I'm just saying I think there are better options to save up for.

Last edited by Masterbean (Brian Bean) on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow scoundrels,

OK, here is where I stand so far...I ordered the ESB version of these pants. The company was very willing to work with me on the variation, the communication has been excellent. They even allowed me to submit a sample of the color I wanted the pants to be made from. They also requested measurements, so they should be fairly accurate to correct size.

I feel I need to comment on the idea of buying vs. making your own costume, however. I have made a great number of props, armor pieces and leather items, so I definitely understand the idea of making your own items. I know how satisfying this is. That being said, I don't think anyone should discourage someone else from purchasing certain items to complete their costume. I can make a lot of items, but sewing is just not one of my skills.

To me, unless a person is going to actually do the sewing themselves, there is no difference between buying a costume or having it made for them. Either way, you are paying for the item. What we should do is point other potential members in the direction of quality vs. non-quality items, so that they don't spend money unwisely. I may be right or wrong, but this is just my opinion. As soon as I receive my pants, I will post my opinion of their quality, etc.

May the Force be with you all,

Brian
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking of getting the ANH version of these pants so I could get a Han Solo costume back onto my roster of costumes. Am I correct in assuming that these pants would be just fine for an Informal designation??

That's probably what I'm going to be doing...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being an LCJ I cannot say for certain, but from my understanding... informal they would be fine for.

Maybe with a few adjustments you might even be able to push them into formal as well.

Bob
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wanted to add the pintucks as well. Our base is going to have Ryan moving in later this month and he is an excellent Chewbacca! So I thought I would go ahead and upgrade my Han outfit to troop with him...

Would be cool...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:
I ordered the ESB version of these pants.

Just wondering, did you get these in yet?
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

OK, the pants arrived yesterday. Are they a good alternative to costumbase for "off the rack?" The answer is...."meeh."

As I said before, the company was great to work with, doing custom color, quick responses to e-mail. It did take almost eight weeks to get them however.

The first thing I did when I opened them was to check the riding seam. Was it right? Was it wrong? Could it be modified? Imagine my surprise when I found that they had no riding seam at all!! Maybe they forgot to do it, maybe the photo is not accurate, who knows? I think it is actually for the best though, because that seam in the photo looked way off, and I don't think it could have been modified. At least this way, the seam could be added much like it can to a costumbase.

The bloodstripes are the iron-on type commonly available on the bay. They are very well executed however. I had those iron-on type on one of my early costumes, and I had ironed them on myself. Not easy to do, and they looked a bit crappy. These are well-done, and look as good as possible for iron-on.

The fabric and construction are about on par with costumebase, which I have never felt was really that bad. It's decent weight fabric, and well sewn in my opinion, though I'm not a seamstress so I'm not sure my opinion is worth much. They look good to me though.

I already have a set of embroidered bloodstripes, so I will probably go ahead and put them on, and have the pintuck and riding seam put in. When it's all said and done I'll post photos with total cost, etc.

Overall, in the battle of costumebase vs. cosplayying, I would have to give the edge to cosplayying. With the addition of pintucks and riding seam, and as long as one has proper zipperless boots, these could be passed for formal according to standards. The bloodstripe is at least accurate in size and pattern. The costumebase stripes are so far off they could never pass. For that reason alone, the winner is cosplayying.

My total cost on these was $70.00 including shipping. Hope this info helps!!

May the Force be with you all,

Brian
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: I posted this up and to my surprise, when I finished my review, I noticed that Brian had also put up his review!!! Bear in mind, I wrote this without reading Brian's post first:

I have an update! I am not the one who ordered the ESB version of these Cosplaysky pants, but I just got the ANH ones in and they are quite good, for what they are. The package comes addressed from Shanghai, China and delivery was very quick, only taking around two weeks from the time I ordered to the time they came to my door. Email receipts were given once I ordered and communication was fine.

Cloth is a light cotton twill, not too heavy, not too light, just about right. Mine came in a nice solid navy blue color with red bloodstripes. All sewing is excellent with tight seams, professionally finished and laid flat on the inside. They fit me perfectly. The waistband has a couple of elastic gathers on either side, so if you are a bit off with the fit, they will conform to you giving you a bit of leeway if they are a bit too tight. These will be covered by the three-hole pants belt so they stay hidden from sight. Very nice.

You supply the waist and the inseam so they should fit well if you gave them the correct sizing information.

All in all, you get what you pay for and these are not bad pants in the least bit if you want ready made and ready to wear Han Solo pants. They should be dandy if you want an Informal designation (at least for the pants, the costume will be judged in its entirety by the LCJ, of course)

Now to the downside: I mentioned that these would only be good for Informal status for the RL. Here's why they need mods for Formal status:

The bloodstripes are the iron-on kind and are not embroidered. They are on a cloth strip and then that strip is sewn onto the pants, so if you want, you can easily remove them and replace them with the proper embroidered stripes. Not a problem, but for Formal status, you need embroidered stripes.

No pintucks on the front. These are required for Formal status and this is the easiest one to do. Again, not a problem.

Finally, the riding seam. Although the picture on the website clearly shows the pants sporting a riding seam (not the most accurate, but a riding seam nonetheless), I was totally disappointed in the fact that my pants did not have the riding seam! Just a plain pocketless pair of pants on the backside. I was sort of crushed since I had thoughts of upgrading these to formal status at some point by doing the mods, but the riding seam will be the hardest if you have no sewing skills. Not sure why my pants didn't have them, but I have sent an email telling them to either make future pants with the riding seam or change the picture on the website so anyone who buys these will not be disappointed like I was.

I was going for informal designation, so I will live with them, but I thought you all would want to know how they turned out.

Overall, if you want a nice pair of informal pants, these may be the best buy out there. If you want more accuracy in cloth and features, then you're probably better off making them yourself or by going with one of the higher priced vendors.

If you are good with doing mods, these also will work fine by just replacing the stripes, adding the pintucks and then working on that riding seam. Not bad at all in the grand scheme of things...

I'll have pics of my finished costume soon, I"m waiting on the correct belt tools from CE and once I get those, I will be ready to submit to the LCJ...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charybdis wrote:
I was totally disappointed in the fact that my pants did not have the riding seam! Just a plain pocketless pair of pants on the backside. I was sort of crushed since I had thoughts of upgrading these to formal status at some point by doing the mods, but the riding seam will be the hardest if you have no sewing skills.

Reading the requirements, you only need three of four to get formal; just get the right boots and you're in...
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or...

Instead of meeting just the minumum standards you could shoot for the moon and meet all requirements...
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does sound like, at least with the ANH pants, that redoing the blood stripes would be easier with these than costume base, if you can simply remove the panel that has the iron-on's and replace it with a panel of embroidered.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Or...

Instead of meeting just the minumum standards you could shoot for the moon and meet all requirements...

+1.
Bonded Hawk ()

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about both of the pants purchases. They were both good reviews. Did anyone get an ANH vest by chance?

BH
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let me counter the good experience with the bad.... Mind you, this wasnt a Solo or SW based purchase, but from the same company.

I ordered one of the Enterprise uniforms from them, supplying the whole litany of measurements they asked for. A couple of weeks later (about 3 I believe) the package shows up! Yay! Not so fast.....

I will echo the other posters comments about the overall quality. The material was nice, the seams looked good and strong, and in was well made. However, their attention to the actual measurements wasn't. My uniform was too long and too small in the waist. They were quick to reply and ask for pictures showing what is wrong.

So I comply, sending 2 sets, one set with an actual tape measure in place showing where my measurements are correct, and theirs aren't even close. The answer I got was basically, well....sell that one and send us ANOTHER $50 and we'll make you a new one, or pay to send back the old one, we'll fix it, and I'll have to pay again to have it shipped back....and they had the nerve to tell me to "include correct measurements this time." WTF? I had sent them correct measurements the first time, and then sent them photographic evidence showing as much, but they still claim it was my fault.

So needless to say, I've asked for a refund, and will be opening a claim with ebay/paypal against them. At this point it isnt worth it. I glad the previous purchasers got pants that fit them. As has been said, they really arent made bad, but after my experience I wont be buying from them again (which is sad, because I was going to add their ANH stuff to my closet) and I wouldnt recommend them to anyone else either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: