Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=387a961d1275800bcecc971cad841318Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Need Advice on Toes Rough Sculpt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Need Advice on Toes Rough Sculpt Reply with quote

Greetings again, mighty Wookiee masters!

I wonder if I could get some opinions on this rough sculpt of the toes. Here are some pictures:

I'm concerned about the overall length of the foot. Are the toes too close to the main part of the foot? In other words, should I have some horizontal length to the foot, or is it okay to come straight out from the steep sloping part? Any other concerns with these toes?

I know nothing about sculpting; this is the first time I've even touched clay before...

Thanks,
Rorr
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks fine. The leg hair is going to come down over the foot and reach the toes anyway. Keep the feet as small as you can at this point.

Chewy Layers snow to print
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are looking pretty good. It looks like you are going for the Revenge of the Sith feet.

The only thing I would suggest is making the toes spread out a bit more, like the image above.

As a general rule, whenever you sculpt anything its best to start with the broad strokes, i.e. get the basic shape down first, then slowly move in and refine the details, add wrinkles, etc.

Good luck.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Matt on this one... spread them little piggies out a bit.

Bob
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this better?

At my wife's suggestion, I also bulked up the top of the sculpt where it meets the foam foot:

Should the toes be fatter so that they touch each other as the ROTS ones do? Keep in mind that my foot isn't the same shape as the ones pictured...

Thanks again,
Rorr
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the re-work you did looks great. If you want to try and make it closer to the ROTS picture above, you would want to make the toes more thicker and rounder. But honestly, I think what you have looks good.
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I seem to have run into a setback.

After a week of working with the sculpt, I was finally happy with the feet. At my wife's suggestion, I shortened the two outside toes and made them smaller -- the foot was looking really good and ready for casting. I took the foot outside and sprayed it with clear coat, but since we have a parrot, I had to leave it outside to dry. It was outside no more than 3-5 minutes -- but it's 104 degrees out right now. When I went to bring it in, the clay had fallen off the foot and impacted on the ground. Here's what was left:

Unfortunately, with the clear coat on it, there's no way I can fix that. I'll have to start over from scratch. Ah well.

Matt pointed out that these were ROTS feet, but I really like the OT Chewie better. Since I have to start over anyway, I'm thinking maybe I'll just do the feet correctly for OT. May as well turn a setback into an opportunity...

I have seen the reference images on Matt's site, but does anyone have a picture of the OT toes without hair? Or even a picture of your own OT sculpt? I would be deeply in your debt...

Thanks again,
Rorr

Last edited by Rorrlancca () on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least 2 or 3 sets of feet in the OT. Here they are:

The Brown Slippers (aka the Magic of Myth feet)

Here are the ape feet (my personal favorite) and also the ones on the WSMI exhibit:

Here are the Star Wars In Concert Feet, I'm not quite certain they are screen-used:

Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt -

Thanks for that. The "ape feet" (love the description!) look best to me, too. Something just looks wrong with the claws on the Magic of Myth feet...

My wife just suggested that maybe I should wait until winter to work on the sculpts (mask and feet), since I can't do the molds and casts inside. It occurs to me that I don't know how well the silicone rubber would set in the 105-110 degree heat anyway. I had hoped to do the hard parts before I went back to work (I teach college), but it's looking like that isn't going to happen at this point. Still, it all has to be done, I don't suppose the order matters all that much.

Rorr
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about the melting of your sculpt. I thought it was looking pretty good. Oh well, it'll just look better next time, right? Wink
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I keep telling myself!

Actually, once I got over the initial shock, it wasn't all that bad. I really had been thinking about the disconnect between the ROTS feet and the OT mask. But I had convinced myself that since no one looks at the feet, it really didn't matter. This basically made the decision for me. So overall, I'll come out with a more screen-accurate costume as a result -- and that's what it's all about, isn't it?

I've started drafting a pattern for the body suit, so I'll put up some pics in my build thread once I have the test of it sewn together.

Rorr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: