Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=970a43a2d2e2ea08cec1899131ee9978Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cooling system for Wookie suits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed

Last edited by Chewie () on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiv wrote:
Wookiewannabe wrote:
Come on guys suck it up. Peter didnt have fans in his mask. Its not that hot..... Evil or Very Mad

Obviously you haven't trooped in Australia during the summer in the past 5 years (this is usually when I'm asked to wear the suit) and Peter could have breaks last time I check the longest break I had was 10 seconds before people asked for photos. But I have gathered a lot of good info from you all,
1. Having a good suit made out of mesh for great air catching
2. Make a mask with a retractable jaw to allow better airflow to the head.
3. Prepare your body for a long day with a high carb meal the day before
4. Have plenty of water available
5. Walk around to catch cool air

All this info is great and I do thank everyone for contributing

You know what they say..."If you cant take the Heat get out of the Wookiee suit"......LOL Evil or Very Mad
ps I trooped many hot events..my last one in Chewie was 95 degree heat with 95% humidity at a Phillies baseball game for 4 hours staight....

Drink alot of water and think cooool thoughts thats the key..

PSS...just kidding around guys....

Chewy Layers snow to print
TheNegotiator (Derek Struchtemeyer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been missing out on the ongoing conversation due to the lack of notification of new posts. Confused
Anywho I have two fans from Curtis TK4261 here: http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60900
They are quite good at moving air around my mask. Actually I have only one in the mask at this point but I plan to install both, one in top of the mask and one in the bottom. I plan to post up pics soon.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see how you set that up.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took some pics; need to upload. Got an ESB screening this weekend so these upgrades are in order! Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to revive this thread after reading RIVETHEAD's recent posts on his heat issues.

It looks like almost everyone can agree on the following things:
1) Drink Plenty of Water! (including the day before)
2) Work on your endurance (getting in better shape)
3) Tough it out

I know the heat varies in different climates, people have different tolerances also some folks might have suit modifications.

I have not completed my wookiee yet, but I plan on putting an exhaust fan or intake fan on the top of the head, then carve channels in the skull (the part that touches your head) to generate airflow. I live in Las Vegas and have trooped in a Tuskin on 4th of July in a parade. Like I mentioned in another thread I was near death, I would say it was close to an hour with the head on. The mask had almost no ventilation.

I'm by no means am I an athlete, but am a Nevadan native and can handle the summers. I even worked construction outdoors in the summer running a jackhammer. Of course though I didn't do it with a full wookiee suit on!

I would like to see how everyone is dealing with the heat. I know tough it out is the best option, but like I mentioned before a mild New England summer isn't a summer in Phoenix. I think anything (within reason) that can HELP, and not HURT would be beneficial.

It seems that the consensus is against cooling vests. I'd say fans are hit and miss. I like the idea of having a hydration pack IF it can be hidden (what pack do you use?).

Anyhow, I hope everyone with a wookiee shares their heat experiences, including "where" they trooped, how hot, and what you did to stay cool (including suit mods).

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
TD2817 (chris collis)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it doesn't matter how hot it is outside,it's cooling to me in the suit.INDOORS is another story,lol.
The last indoor troop I did was so miserable from sweating....it actually was running out of my sleeves,lol.the kids were like " eeewww you're wet! "
I found what works for me indoors is to take breaks in the changing room,when in there,remove the mask and stand in front of a box fan I bring......works like a charm and dries the suit off too.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive trooped in all types of weather conditions for short and extremely long
amounts of time.

-I always chug a bottle of water before the mask goes on.

-I always wear a short sleeve dry wick t-shirt and shorts under the costume.

-Try to let your body temp regulate once the costume is on for the first few
minutes. Dont move extremely fast to a location while in the costume. Once
you initial sweat happens it will feel better.

-Make sure you have your mask nose holes and mouth opening, open so your
breath can exit when you breathe out.

-Dont stand in one place too long. Moving around a bit helps move the air
through the net suit and cools you.

-Take breaks and hydrate some more.

-When you build your suit, make sure it is not super tight against your body.
Especially the upper body portion. Net suits with a little space between the
net suit and skin allows for a pocket of air, especially when you move

-Unfortunately suits with built in muscles and thick fabric against the skin
will be much hotter.

-Some times genetics will come into play. If you sweat in a snow storm, you
will melt in Chewie costume. Adjustments to the stuff you wear under the
costume will help keep you from dripping.

Its hard to troop in extreme heat but the smiles and excitement from the crowds, kids, families make it worth it.

Chewie is a rock star at events!!

Chewy Layers snow to print
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Flexi-Freeze-Ice-Vest-Navy/dp/B001P30358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363183485&sr=8-1&keywords=cool+vest

Review of my troop with the Cool vest you can buy on Amazon:

I bought this to test at All-Con Dallas 2013. I put on regular compression gear (no muscle suit) with this right on top. So, my layers were: East Bay compression top, this cold vest and then the Tarfful mesh and hair shirt.

The vest felt pretty good. It was nice and cool, but as I was told by Torment and others, it melted very quick and added to my heat after a short while. Even though some of the ice packs stayed cool, it didn't work well enough to help keep me cool. The hotel the convention was in was hot all weekend. I was sweating in a shirt and jeans, so you can only imagine the heat while wearing a wookiee costume.

I am sure for anything else, this cool pack would have rocked, but for this wookiee, the return label has been printed and it's going back.

Next up, a 70 oz. camel pack. Not for cooling, but for hydrating.
Wookiee trooping is not easy going and I found myself needing tons and tons of water while wearing my gear. I wore Tarfful for 2 sessions of about 3 hours. - probably lost 15 + lbs. in the process. - Wish I could do this every day!
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIVETHEAD wrote:
Next up, a 70 oz. camel pack. Not for cooling, but for hydrating. Wookiee trooping is not easy going and I found myself needing tons and tons of water while wearing my gear

My guess is you are going to wear it under the hair suit? I'm trying to find a good low profile one.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Bigben ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Colorado, and completed my chewbacca only a couple of months ago, the outside weather has been cool or cold, so its keeping me cold in the suit, that'll change once we get into basball season.
I did a convention a couple of weeks ago, and that is the tough part right now, I did 3 straight days (about 7-8 hours per day) I took a couple of mask off breaks per day, but the suit kept me warm but not overly sweaty (like wearing pajamas) but the mask was hot and sweaty. every time i bent over it looked like I wass drooling out of my mouth Smile the hardest part of the weekend was waiting for the results of the costume contest (I took home 2 medals, 1st and best in show) they had us just sit and wait in the crowd. that got hot, no airflow, and lot of warm boddies around.
I like to keep a couple of bendy straws on my bandoleer pouch and a gatorade bottle, so I can take a wookie drink when I need to with out having to take of my mask, people love it Smile
take a look

General Furball ()

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore my Tarfful for the first time on Saturday and man I was like a sweaty mess. Especially my face. This was just a test before I head to the Cons but I am going to try those ice neck bands like this one and see if it help a little bit.
http://www.healthandbodystore.com/icycoiceba.html?gclid=CP3InMLji7cCFY9FMgodFQ0AxQ
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydration is key... but not just when you wear the suit... but the day before a troop.

If you did not hydrate before the troop properly drinking as you go will not help you. You need to fully hydrate well before an event and during the event if you want to stay cool.

I also would avoid garments underneath the fur suit that attract or retain heat. I once left my body suite at home.... wore jeans instead... thought I was going to die! Plan ahead dress in very breathable layers so you can enjoy a breeze of cool air when it does happen. I wear a 1 piece body suite made out of a lightweight swim suit fabric... that allows air to my skin... making for good cooling.

Be smart and drink every chance you can... gatoraid is my drink of choice when I can.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, repeat...
Once the gear is on, it's a total sweatfest. I also just wear shorts and a soccer (English football) style shirt that allows sweat to pass through.

If you can sneak off for a break here and there, you can survive a lengthy troop. It's tough not to get a little wobbly on the stilts after long periods of time, but if you can find a handler with a drink and a nice long straw (as seen above), you should be fine!
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Wookiee (Snoova WIP) on for 5 different events now and can say that it is the hottest thing I have ever worn. My longest stretch was 5.5 hours straight. In that time I drank 2L of water and still lost weight. You get used to the heat. You get used to the moisture.

For comfort management I now have 4 balaclavas. I will swap out for a dry one every 60-90 minutes. A complete change of compression gear at the 2 hour mark helps as well. Lots of water. I do have a small 5V squirrel fan in the chin blowing up my face that is helpful. Movement helps. Standing causes the heat to lock in under the hair. A slow walk will release it. A fan in a photo area is a crucial comfort aid.

As for comparing any Legion costume to an actual screen used costume can't be done fairly. A shot on a movie set takes moments to minutes. We wear our costumes for hours at a time. They really do have to be better than the 'real' costume for comfort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: