About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=996f2048d4d0ed97069c0e478e14ed40Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Leia Wrist watch/ communicator build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Endor Leia Wrist watch/ communicator build Reply with quote

SO a while back my wife informed me that she was considering doing this costume... so I knew at some point I was going to have to find her a watch... or something that would work for a watch. After about 1 year of homework and research I decided that there was nothing out there that would match Leias watch... so this is a detailed listing of steps I took to complete my wifes watch for the Leia costume...

Hope you like it !

Here is a promo picture of the watch blown up for reference.

Here is how I started with the project:

Like most of the things I do , I start with plan old scuply... the base of the watch and the lense of the watch. We were hoping to go with an amber lense with a bit of transparancy to show an Led look that we captured from the promo shot.

How do you make a mold of a sculpture? How to make a mold

After a bit of clean up I was happy with the base and moved on the the wrist band.

The wrist pland was a bit tricky with sculpy and I am sure I would have been better off with wook or something a bit more stable of a material... oh well.

Here is a picture of the sculpy after being backed and the lense fited to match the watch...

I seem to not have a picture of the details of the stuff that go on the watch... I made the nobs and what not also out of sculpy and added them them to the watch base. I did this seperatly so I could maintain sharpness on the watches details.

After casting 1 lense I made 4 and remade a mold to hold 4 lenses. I did this so that if I ever made made more I could at least make sure that the lenses were close to the same tint. Tinting resens can be a pain.

Lenses being cast... amber resins

Here is my watch ready to go to molding

Casting of the wrist band was done out of a silicone rubber called Dragonskin... very strong stuff

Finnished wrist bands for 2 watches.

Here is the first casting of the watch

First casting after clean up. I drilled 5 holes under the lense to help mount the watch to the band... also drilled holes for the ends to attach the watch to the wrist bands.

So I took a metal file and filled down a few 2 1/2 inch finnishing nails to make them razor sharpe and pushed them thru the wrist bands made of dragonskin. I did this ahead of time before it was in the watch to ensure the holes are straight before I repeat the process once in watch. I decided to use nails for their strength.

Nail is in place...

I used a jeweler saw to remove the nail ends. I cut one side, then pushed the other side in a bit before cutting the second side. By doing this I was able to prevent the ends from sticking out. I then later filed the ends in with first epoxy to hold... and molders putty to fill before painting.

Both sides together with nails trimmed.

I then decided to start working on the lense a bit more. I used an old blank circuit board for this. Using the circuit board I drilled a few of the holes out a bit bigger than the circuit boards original sized holes. Based on the original picture I came pretty close... not 100% but pretty close. This circuit board was used as a template for drilling into the lenses to give them that led look thru the amber lenses.

Once the lenses had been drilled and cleaned up... I painted silver in all the drill holes on the lenses. Once the silver was dry in the holes... I sanded down the lenses area so only the holes had paint in them as you can see in the bottom of the two lenses bellow. I then painted a dry brush black over the lenses back side to give an illusion of leds on a black backround as seen in the top of the lenses bellow. Its not a drastic look, but just enough that if your looking at the watch it might make you think twice that its not a real watch.

Once the lenses were dry and the rest of the watch was done being painted I used a piece of black cotton ribbon and sewed the ribbon to the dragon skin band on the back side. This is why there was a few holes on the watch... too help hold the watch to the bands. The watch bands were only meant to be dectrative, but ended up being extremely strong with the nails and dragonskin.

After all the paint was dry and clearcoats applied I used a bit of epoxy to add the lenses to the base of the watch. Also added was a bit of velcro to the watch ends for closures. With all the research we did on this watch we never found anything that leads up to think anything other than velcro was used for this watch for Leia.

So here is my completed Watch/ comunicator for Leia on Endor. Made these for my wife and my Base CO (Blue). I hope you like... took a very long time to get it completed.

Well I hope this was informative for others that may have been thinking about making props and just not sure were to start.

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, Bob.

That does look like it was quite a process. Shocked

I'm sure there will be more Endor Leias that you will make very happy.
Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic!!!!

great build
Princess Cryvo (Crystal von Oy)
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this! I may have to upgrade mine at some point! Wink

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Holy crap Bob, that's AWESOME! Thanks for posting that! I may have to tackle that once I get some moulding and sculpting experience

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Was really hoping to finish my whole list of things to do before DC... this being one of the more time consuming ones. Was going to work on making Beret a better DDC Defender but I think it will be after DC at this rate.

I made her a badge and communicator... so she is happy. So now I get to move on to other projects.

After DC I will probable start an interest thread for some of those Endor items... just right now I do not have time to meet deadline outside of things I allready have.
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is amazing!!! Thank you for posting that for everyone here, very informative!!!!!! Very Happy
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked When you post an interest thread, I'll probably add my name!!!

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
Wow! Shocked When you post an interest thread, I'll probably add my name!!!

If I do these it will be a very limited run... for they are a bit time consuming. The last thing I want to do is make them for someone because they think its cool or something. I want these to go to Leia's with costumes in need of the prop.

Not sure how I will go about it, but I might wrap it up with sales on the badge as well. I have seen a few of the badges out there, and I have yet to see anything I like... so probably will offer it as well.

No idea how much I would sell the watch for either. The amount of work to get to were I am now with the prop was a pain. I wont be doing anything with interest threads till after DC though... so I have time to think about it till then.

I am just glad you guys like it so far... it will only get better, once I clean up the proccess a bit.

Bob Kohn
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand. Keep me in my when you do your limited run of these, as I will be working on this costume in the near future.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned this costume for CVI thinking it'd be in 2013 for the 30th anniversary of ROTJ...but, I'm still liking the idea of wearing it to CVI.

JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job, Bob! With such a detailed accessory like that, it makes the whole costume seem more complete! Smile

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i'm with Rachel on this costume was planning on making it for CVI for 30 years of RotJ but planning on it anyway.
would also be putting my name down if you decide on a run of these.
looks awesome and so wish i had the skills to make stuff like this.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Kat wrote:

Ditto, mine's currently being held together with spit and a prayer Wink

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Jedi Kat wrote:

Ditto, mine's currently being held together with spit and a prayer Wink

That would be a cool name for an adhesive, Ver! Razz

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: