About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9dac10eb19bb71b42e9adb264901b640Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH - Han Solos Hero Blaster buildup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: ANH - Han Solos Hero Blaster buildup Reply with quote

- from a MGC-Mauser, with real Hensoldt and the most accurate flash-hider next to a real MG81 one, metal grill, ....

Some of you may remember my "how to"-buildup with a Denix: http://www.therpf.com/f9/han-solo-esb-anh-all-metal-blasters-step-step-92790/

But 2 weeks ago i bought a MGC-Mauser in a nice condition, and that forced me to a decision what to do with it. I could have build a GK or a ROTJ from it - but as the ANH-Hero is my most prefered Solo-blaster, and as i will probably never get a deactivated real Mauser, so i decided to use it for a ANH-Hero.

This is the bought MGC:

At some points the MGC is much more detailed than the Denix.

The topside of the bolt is not only flat:

When the bolt is pulled back there is the feed mechanism, not only a deep hole:

The magazine bottom is detailed and can be opened:

It has the same safe mechanism and can be field stripped as a real one:

The grips (plastic as the Denix) and especially their bolts are more accurate as the Denix, but mine had very sharp edges - i had to sand them down for a comfortable feel. And their plastic looks even more plastic than the Denix ones, without any weathering.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buildup itself is very easy, as i already had the needed parts,

I scrapped the already build Denix-ANH-Hero, and put the parts on the MGC:

The main difference in the way of the buildup is that i painted the bullbarrel/flash-hider adapter instead of blacken it with Birchwood Alu-black. This meets the MGC color better, but still isn´t perfect:

This is how it looks at the moment:

The remaining Denix will be transformed, and used for the buildup of a ANH-Greedo Killer.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics i forgot to show here:

The bullbarrel got it´s typical chamfered end:

That´s the way it looked:

And the grill got some additional machining for better details:

The bullbarrel is atm on its way to his new owner in CA, i will rework this gun in a not to far future. :ohbaby

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but i decided to make a new bullbarrel for this gun, the "old" one went to Hirohawa (i hope it arrives soon and he likes it).

Reason for this decision were the tiny slits where the chamfered barrel mets the receiver, i wanted to try another approach on the problem, something i had seen on another build (thanks, Pat Smile ).

I turned the MGCs barrel down to the point where the bullbarrel of the original gun goes onto the receiver:

Man, i was pretty nervous when doing it. There was no really safe way to chuck it up with my equipment, and cheaply cast Zamak is not as sturdy as some other stuff. And having it rotating with over 1000 rpm a half meter from my head is nothing i likeed. :ohwell

Next step will be to turn a new barrel with a hole to go over the remaining original. With the new parallel and really round surface it should be a nice fit/adjustment. Then chamfering the edges on the mill, and turning a adapter from Delrin for the flashhider.

I hope it will look better then as before, otherwise i would have scrapped a pristine MGC. :duh

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double

Have a nice day,
Michael

Last edited by Lichtbringer () on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double

Have a nice day,
Michael

Last edited by Lichtbringer () on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double

No idea why so much identical posts

Have a nice day,
Michael

Last edited by Lichtbringer () on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the new info we discovered in the thread, that was created after messing this one up :lol, i decided to overwork the barrel - once again. :rolleyes:D

I milled it

until the underside was the same height as the receiver

Then the barrel was put back in the lathe, to give it a 1° taper

Now it was possible to strip the gun again, at least after dissassembling the Flashhider.

Some pics with the new overworked barrel, from different views:

One step closer to a accurate replica. :happy

Have a nice day,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: