Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ed3696dac4ce8623f8cf7ca4b9dc3f61Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Building a ANH Obi Wan lightsaber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Building a ANH Obi Wan lightsaber Reply with quote

First i need to mention that iīm a blaster guy ..... so, if you saber guys see something substandard, please donīt hesitate to chime in and let me know.

Like many others i started with the parts of Russ last run, and a Armitage Shanks handwheel

The grenade got a good coat of sturdy stove paint, and when dry to touch but not really hardened, i kicked it along the street for some time. That way it got dents and scratches where the paint was hit. Then a good treatment with a steelbrush, to get the loose paint of.

I didnīt ordered one of Russ cones for the emitter, as i didnīt liked the idea of gluing loose metal parts. Instead of that i made a alu one on my lathe. Slighly oversized, then pressed together with a big professional vise. I added a ring of ventholes and a taper, and on the threaded bar in itīs center i machined something that should look like a emitter for the beam. I think it looks interesting that way.

And thatīs how a M10 threaded rod holds the parts together. Itīs frontend is secured with industrial Locktite in the emitter, and the short end that comes out of the nut will be later used for screwing it in the mounting adapter.

Now this part could be screwed together with the grenade, and the front was done.

Next part was a cap to connect the booster to the AS handwheel. It was lathed from Delrin, and pressed on the boosters threading

Originally the handwheel had a slight taper at itīs inner side, so i lathed it parallel to get a slide fit with the cap on the booster

And it worked like a charm

Here we are

Now itīs time to start the innards (mainly from the piece Delrin in the back). Very Happy

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are several mounting adapters out there .... but i wanted something unique, so i made my own.

I wanted this part on the boosters end in the Graflex clamp

And as i had none, i made my own.

First i made a workpiece on the lathe, then i put it on the mill for the details. First the hex.

And after that the ring with the holes.

Followed by some serious beating with my prefered weathering tool - a small 250 gramm hammer

Followed by these 2 parts

They are for the inner part of the booster

The alu part got M10 threading in both ends, and i turned a bolts hex-head down

It will screw through the handwheel into the alu part and fasten it to the booster

I wasnīt really sure if the booster ring would be visible ...... but .... it is Cool

At least a little bit. In my book thatīs enough to justify the extra work. Mr. Green

Oh, and between other steps i drilled the handwheels cube

And the main adapter was slotted on the mill for the little "ears" inside the Graflex clamp, and later the nuts from the transistors.

Next work was to turn a step on the other end that fits inside the grenade, and drill and tap it to match the M10 rod of the pre-assembled frontpart.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the fun part - assembling everything. Very Happy

This are the involved parts

Pre-assembling the frontpart

Screwing the booster disc to the adapter

And the alu coupling

Sliding on the Delrin spacer

And the booster

Followed by the handwheel

I turned the inside a little bit on the lathe to get more space for the bolt

Fasten the parts with the made bolt

Put on the Graflex clamp

And inserted the assembled parts in the grenade

And screwed the parts together

Finally i got this

Iīm satisfied, everything is sturdy and massive.

Next part is learning the finer details of parts, assembling, and the weathering.

Need to find the correct D-ring, too - and to make/find some transistors. Any help/tips is highly appreciated. Smile

But offcourse there is also a sad part. Sad

As i had no clamp for it, i needed to use this one

I need to find another Graflex clamp, it might be beaten more than the one i used, to enable me to put this one back where it belongs.

Many thanks to everyone who was so patient to read down to this post. I hope i didnīt wasted your time. But i warned you, iīm more a blaster guy. Wink

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wonder about the condition of the saber - as you can see on my emitter-cone (and on all my blasters, too) i use sometimes artistic steps wherever i think the propguys did a sloppy work. Too often they have overdone the used look - Boba Fetts rifle looks as if it was stored for 10 years in Bantha poo, and i donīt believe a lonely jedi in his hermitage has no time to care for the piece he formerly used to mention as "your lightsaber is your life". In fact i passed on a cheap 120€ original grenade cause it was to coroded for my taste.

As a former soldier i have a certain view on the way how someone cares for the thing that might save his live. It will get a used look, but not as crappy as the propguys made it.
"Start from screen accurate, and then make it better, believable, as a real world item."

It will get some additional weathering - darken the emitter steel parts (maybe parkerizing first), blacken the emitters alu-cone, blacken the brass parts - followed by a treatment with fine steelwool to achieve the wear/usemarks of over 20 years in use. Thatīs why i would prefer to find a Graflex clamp in a not so good condition for this saber.

Additional some dust and dirt in the deepest edges. Not too much, but some...

What you see now is only the pure mechanical treatment on some parts, to simulate what happens if something is knocked around in battle, the dings and dents that happen, but need no repair. The same will be done to the emitter and the windvane, too.

Have a nice day,
Michael
guelras (David Goldsberry)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try Saber Kit's clamp: http://www.saberkit.com/camera-parts.html. You'd want to do some work on it for the weathering, but if you can't find an older one... Mr. Green
Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work and great looking saber!
For the transistors I did use those from russ-rep that he sold over at the rpf. Maybe there are still some left or he will do a new run.
Trousers:Working on
Belt and boots:Pending
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guelras wrote:
You might try Saber Kit's clamp: http://www.saberkit.com/camera-parts.html. You'd want to do some work on it for the weathering, but if you can't find an older one... Mr. Green

Aye, thatīs a possible solution - if iīm not able to find a vintage. Thanks.

But first i will try to find another real one. Wink

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rade Larkin wrote:
Awesome work and great looking saber!
For the transistors I did use those from russ-rep that he sold over at the rpf. Maybe there are still some left or he will do a new run.

Thanks. Very Happy

The russrep transistors are no way to go for me. Only originals or doing them myself.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: