About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=414800fb6595fb415e4649ce7558af44Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blaster / Prop Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your basegun is for the ROTJ, so you would need a scope similar to this:

(This is alu and real scope parts, but they are sometimes on ebay made from resin)

Then it looks this way (wrong flashhider that i made, just for testing):

Your scope and parts are for this version (again, custom flashhider):

Easiest way to mount it is using a L-shaped alu-profile, cut in shape with a saw or dremel:

Have a nice day,
Michael
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess I am going to have to either take the box and greeblie off of the right side in order to make a mount like you have it or find the mount like what you have in your first picture.
where did you get that mount and will it work with the scope I have or would I be better off trying to get the box and greeblie off and using the mount in the later pics?
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just for the files, to avoid to confuse future readers: This is in NO way screen accurate. We are just toying around with the idea to customize a DL-44 for your personeal needs.

After reading your post i went in my shop and searched a little bit in my parts storage.

Your ROTJ-blaster originally needed this:

And your additional ESB parts would need that:

Before having the ROTJ-mount machined from metal, i aquired a really good cast - and i combined it for the fun with your scope version:

On the gun it would look like this:

So, the good news is ... itīs not screen accurate and it looks strange, but in a cool, unused way. Very Happy

The bad news - that stuff is not as cheap as the usual costumer-ebay-stuff from the (often) recasters there - itīs for prop making. And itīs not readily available, one always has to grab it when a run is manufactured.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
Before having the ROTJ-mount machined from metal, i aquired a really good cast - and i combined it for the fun with your scope version:

On the gun it would look like this:

So, the good news is ... itīs not screen accurate and it looks strange, but in a cool, unused way. Very Happy

The bad news - that stuff is not as cheap as the usual costumer-ebay-stuff from the (often) recasters there - itīs for prop making. And itīs not readily available, one always has to grab it when a run is manufactured.

That is exactly what I am looking to do if it is possible which you are showing me it is.
I have the scope but now I am wondering about the mount. Is that something you cast or got off of a site?
Also how did you attach the scope to it.
I am not a prop builder by any means but I can do simple stuff.
if you make or know where I can get that mount and the metal rings and such to mount it with I would greatly appreciate it.
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly they are hard to get, i donīt know any place where they are readily available. Thatīs the main reason ROTJ-Blasters are so rarely seen. I searched for a pretty long time myself.

I could offer you my ROTJ resin-version, but together with shipping from Germany it would be around 50$ (same for the ESB metal one). Not sure if that makes sense, to buy from here.

To attach the scope is easy, only drilling two 5 or 6mm holes in the mount, drill and tap the feets of the scope, and assemble the parts. The original ROTJ-scope is mounted with scoperings. But your scope was originally a scope in a periscope of a tank, they were mounted with 2 bolts in their feets.

Shivannd wrote:
That is exactly what I am looking to do if it is possible which you are showing me it is.
I have the scope but now I am wondering about the mount. Is that something you cast or got off of a site?
Also how did you attach the scope to it.
I am not a prop builder by any means but I can do simple stuff.
if you make or know where I can get that mount and the metal rings and such to mount it with I would greatly appreciate it.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base XO
Elstree Base XO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
My apologies if this is placed in the wrong area but seeing as its blaster related i thought you might help.
I'm currently building a Luke Bespin Costume and im now looking at buying a blaster for my holster. I've got a MR EP V blaster which is lovely, but heavy, and so i thought about either a) buying a hasbro toy replica or b) buying a resin blaster from Doopy Doos.
Ive not had any experience with prop making so i had a few questions.
Q.1 The hasbro replica blasters, have the longer scope on them, do you think it would be easy to remove that and then use the shorter styled scope?
Q2: With regards to the resin whats the best type of glue or fixing cement used for resin?
Q3: With regards to both options what sort of paint will get me a nice finish?

Many Thanks!
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're worried about weight, go with the toy blaster since it's plastic. Resin is going to be just as heavy, if not heavier than the one you already have.
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the MR is so heavy because it's solid -- there is no hollow chamber. even the barrel is solid metal.

I have one from this seller, made from a plastic airsoft. it weighs under a pound.
--> this one is made from a metal replica instead of plastic: he says it weighs 1 pound, 10 ounces.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-DL-44-blaster-replica-prop-/140548165229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b952ce6d
this looks pretty much identical to the plastic one that I have..
BUT he specifies in the auction this time, that this one is a metal body.

(I think , even given the fact that it's metal, this would weigh a lot less than the MR since it's mostly hollow on the inside, where the MR is solid/die-cast/etc).
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
I have one from this seller, made from a plastic airsoft. it weighs under a pound.
--> this one is made from a metal replica instead of plastic: he says it weighs 1 pound, 10 ounces.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-DL-44-blaster-replica-prop-/140548165229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b952ce6d
this looks pretty much identical to the plastic one that I have..
BUT he specifies in the auction this time, that this one is a metal body.

(I think , even given the fact that it's metal, this would weigh a lot less than the MR since it's mostly hollow on the inside, where the MR is solid/die-cast/etc).

Every airsoft based gun would be fairly inaccurate, as every available airsoft is resembling a full-auto Mauser version (1930/712) that is a complete different version to the one that Han used (C96).

I know that accuracy is not important for the costumers, but maybe there is one who might find that info helpfull.

Btw. i just had my Denix based "Greedo-Killer" (the one on the top)

on a kitchen scale - it has only 950 gramm. If someone thinks thatīs to heavy to handle, he better plays a senator, not a gunslinger or a jedi. Laughing

Have a nice day,
Michael
Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base XO
Elstree Base XO

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, its not the weight of handling it, just having strapped to my leg for a long period, i just thought it was pointless having to lug something around so heavy that i wasn't going to really seen.
I went for a resin one so ill post pics once ive made it and let you know how i got in with it (and its weight!)
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the model kit that was scavenged for parts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Revell-1-4-Visible-V-8-Engine-Plastic-Model-Kit-/390289095371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adf0afacb

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Revell-1-4-Visible-V-8-Engine-Plastic-Model-Kit-/390289095371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adf0afacb

Yes, according to " The parts of Star Wars " the Revell model engine was key to many props in the movie... including the pistons and greblies for Hans blaster... mainly ESB stuff. I have seen this model engine... you can still find it around here and there. There is no doubt in my mind there information on those parts is correct... at least for Hans Stuff.

Bob
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Schph Gochi wrote:

Yes, according to " The parts of Star Wars " the Revell model engine was key to many props in the movie... including the pistons and greblies for Hans blaster... mainly ESB stuff. I have seen this model engine... you can still find it around here and there. There is no doubt in my mind there information on those parts is correct... at least for Hans Stuff.

Bob

Difference is, the ones used for the movie are the older battery powered motorized version. They're mostly the same, but there are a couple parts that you won't get if you get a newer one. Specific to blasters, there's a switch plate which is used on a ESB Han DL44 that is exclusive to the older one. I believe there are others, but you can still get a LOT of usable SW prop parts from a modern kit.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that... thanks for pointing that out James. I do not suppose you have a list of other differences of the two kits by chance?

I really do not want to buy both kits and stare and compare.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: